PDA

View Full Version : Smelting pot options?

selmerfan
01-31-2008, 05:50 PM
I'm going to need a pot to smelt my WWs in (I'm just starting...) and I've seen lots of cast iron dutch ovens comments on here. It something like cast aluminum a bad idea for a smelting pot? I hate to use a cast iron dutch oven, they are revered in my family and I'd feel like I'm beating the family hunting dog if I used a cast iron pot! :) What other options are available for small batches of smelting over a camp stove?
Selmerfan

StrawHat
01-31-2008, 06:07 PM
Do NOT use an aluminum pot. For some reason they will disintegrate when full of molten lead. Not every time and never when you are ready for it to happen.

I also cook with cast iron and use a separate CI pot for smelting. Mine is a cheapy I picked up at Harbor Freight. Not one I would likely use for cooking. Rough casting, lid doesn't fit correctly and just looks ugly. Probably cast in China or India.

At one time I used a stainless steel pot but the rivets for the handle eventually lost the battle and I almost had many pounds of lead in my boot.

Good Luck

selmerfan
01-31-2008, 06:08 PM
Ok, I guess I'll buy a used one on the cheap and hide the fact that I have corrupted cast iron and used it as a smelting pot! Thanks for the info.
Selmerfan

miestro_jerry
01-31-2008, 08:32 PM
I buy my smelting dutch ovens at Harbor Freight for $13.95 each. I highly recommend drilling a couple of holes in the lid to allow escaping gases out, while the lid is holding in the heat.

Jerry

sundog
01-31-2008, 08:47 PM
If you use a lid on your smelter, which is highly recommended, be very careful removing it as any gases exposed to fresh air can and will flash, sometimes producing a rather impressive flame. It's best to open the lid away from you, as in lift the far side first, using the lid to shield yourself. Anyone wanna guess how I know this?

Bad Water Bill
02-01-2008, 04:18 AM
SUNDOG tell us how you got that info. You can also use a steel coffee can. I have smelted many hundred pounds using my FREE can and plan on using same for a few more years BWB:castmine:

blysmelter
02-01-2008, 05:03 AM
Coffe-can? Not a bad idea-can one just pour the lead into the ingot-molds?

selmerfan
02-01-2008, 08:59 AM
I'm assuming the flash when the lid is opened is the result of fumes from impurities like paint and oil on the WW and when exposed to oxygen by opening the lid, poof! :) I'd imagine that if one uses a smelting pot without a pouring/valve system on it, all the ingot must be filled using the dipper, correct? Any other way sounds like an express trip to the ER... Do you flux when smelting, or wait until pouring bullets? And from what I've read, beeswax is as good a fluxing product as anything?
Selmerfan

Marshal Kane
02-01-2008, 12:12 PM
... Do you flux when smelting, or wait until pouring bullets? And from what I've read, beeswax is as good a fluxing product as anything?
Selmerfan
I flux when smelting. Right after skimming out the WW clips. Will flux and stir again and depending on how much crud comes out of the alloy, will flux more than once. When I put my ingots into the casting furnace, I want them as pure as possible. IMO, it's annoying to be constantly fluxing while trying to cast bullets. BTW, never smelt in an aluminum pot, smelting temperatures will weaken it.

As Scrounger said, this is just my OPINION but it is advice given with the best intentions and I have nothing to gain by steering you wrong. You will have to decide yourself on how you will eventually do this.

wiljen
02-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Save your beeswax for lube. Flux your smelting pot with anything carbon based. Old broken crayons, transmission fluid, sawdust, candle wax all work. I tend to use trans fluid and stir with a wooden stick.

dakotashooter2
02-01-2008, 01:12 PM
There have been several comments saying not to use aluminum pot but are you refering to the aluminum "stock" pots which can often have welded seams or CAST aluminum pots? I can see the stock pots failing.

The other issue I would question about the aluminum pot is its ability to transfer enought heat in smelting. It generally takes more heat to get aluminum hot and keep it there.

Wayne Smith
02-01-2008, 01:56 PM
You are melting and fluxing lead right at the slump temp for aluminum. DO NOT USE ALUMINUM! Not for anything. It may work once or twice, but eventually you'll get a lap full of lead.

Tom W.
02-01-2008, 03:28 PM
I'll use the aluminum pot for collecting my dross, but not for melting boolit alloy. I also have one that I use to melt bees wax and other strange stuff when I decide to make some boolit lube, but I think for the price that red stuff Lars sells will be bought instead of me and my brews....

Bret4207
02-02-2008, 09:47 AM
If you use a lid on your smelter, which is highly recommended, be very careful removing it as any gases exposed to fresh air can and will flash, sometimes producing a rather impressive flame. It's best to open the lid away from you, as in lift the far side first, using the lid to shield yourself. Anyone wanna guess how I know this?

True, but I think I look rather fetching with singed facial hair. No eyebrows and half a mustache will always give the wife and kids something to talk about over dinner for the next 40 years.

HeavyMetal
02-02-2008, 11:52 PM
Aluminum is a great metal but not for melting lead! It has two draw backs first it will collapse on you when you least expect it, Imagine a "Wave" of lead at 800 degrees attempting to get in your shorts and Two it radiates heat to fast to be of any real use, plus you'll use twice as much fuel to keep the lead "fluid"! Cast iron will retain the heat and this helps when your ready for your second and third and forth..... load in the Pot!

Buy a good cast iron dutch oven and you'll never regret it and some cast iron corn bread molds as well the make great ingots that fit in any electric pot!