PDA

View Full Version : how to loosen JP weld?

nekshot
09-10-2014, 08:09 AM
I have a gun finished with epoxy paint and alas, the front sight is slightly off. I have no answer as I used a level when I put it on, its a military sight that slips on barrel at muzzle but it is slightly off. Is it possible to loosen JP with heat as you can accra glass? I am using the regular JP not the high heat stuff.

oneokie
09-10-2014, 08:41 AM
Call or email the company. They have excellent customer service.

nagantguy
09-10-2014, 09:09 AM
Heat even a lighter or candle should work, does for loktight.

DeanWinchester
09-10-2014, 09:52 AM
Did you mean J 'B' weld? You can use a heat gun and soften up JB Weld enough that you should be able to get it off. Shouldn't take too much.

MtGun44
09-11-2014, 03:02 AM
Warm up to about 300-400F, it will soften a LOT.

Bill

nekshot
09-12-2014, 07:55 AM
ok, thanks everybody I will warm it till it moves. I hear all kinds of good reports of JB and I guess I will learn of it my self now.

MBTcustom
09-12-2014, 08:50 AM
Yes, you can soften JB weld with heat, just as you can many other epoxies. However, understand that once you have heated it to the point it loses it's adhesive bond and allows things to move, it is destroyed and cannot provide the same holding power that it did before. It should be stripped off and redone.

barrabruce
09-12-2014, 09:14 AM
I beleive acatone will kill it too.
I jb'd a sight rail on and was using ed's red with acatone to clean and wipe my gun over.
The jb broke up and lost its bond.
I no longer use acatone in my mix as I don't need it.And have had no troubles.

Either way you'll have to re clean and burnish the bare metal again.

Heat may be quicker thou.
hope it helps
Barra

nekshot
09-18-2014, 02:35 PM
to finish this thread, get you stuff right the first time! I could not believe how "warm" I had to get that sight till it left loose. I am a firm believer in the salutations of JB weld. Thanks again for all input.