PDA

View Full Version : storing spare cap & ball revolver cylinders

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-09-2014, 02:30 PM
I am looking for a inexpensive (read that cheap as dirt) but good method of storing spare revolver cylinders for my Pietta 1858 Remington New Army. I'm no looking for a holster, but something to put them in to prevent scratches, etc while being stored in the gunsafe or cabinet.

Thank you for suggestions,

Dave

Outpost75
09-09-2014, 03:10 PM
PVC pipe andwrapped in VPI paper.

John Allen
09-09-2014, 03:32 PM

This is a good idea. I never thought about this way.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-09-2014, 04:21 PM

Don't need to store it till the next civil war, just until the next shooting session.:)

triggerhappy243
09-09-2014, 04:31 PM
velvet sacks lightly oiled. then in PVC pipe.

SPRINGFIELDM141972
09-09-2014, 04:37 PM
Plastic baby food jars.

Driver man
09-09-2014, 04:44 PM
I use old socks

dondiego
09-09-2014, 05:29 PM
You need to start drinking Crown Royal!

Omnivore
09-09-2014, 07:02 PM
Shoe box with rags or tissue paper to keep them from banging on each other.

Make a mobile out of them and hang it in the atrium or in a stair well.

Array them in an interesting pattern as part of a framed wall hanging.

Build a plexiglass dispenser for them, like one of the Chapstik dispensers. It'll make a great conversation starter, sitting on the kitchen counter or bar next to the jar of pickled eggs.

Build a copper wire "tree" and use the cylinders as "fruit".

Beagle333
09-09-2014, 07:05 PM
I soak it in RemOil and ziplock it in a sandwich baggie and stuff that in an old tube sock.

Outpost75
09-09-2014, 07:26 PM
The capped PVC pipe and VPI paper will last many years.

zuke
09-09-2014, 10:05 PM
Pill bottle's with VCI

doc1876
09-10-2014, 12:36 AM
2x4 hole drilled out to your dia, + an old sock? (around 1 3/4 inches)

Petrol & Powder
09-10-2014, 09:31 AM
I vote RIG on the cylinder and old sock. Cheap and effective.

Petrol & Powder
09-10-2014, 09:46 AM
Don't need to store it till the next civil war, just until the next shooting session.:)
I don't think they're suggesting that you glue both PVC caps in place! I believe they're talking about a short section of PVC pipe of the appropriate diameter, one end cap glued on and the other end cap just slipped on to cap the other end. It would be an excellent storage system.
However for cheap, I'd still go with some RIG grease and an old sock!

swathdiver
09-19-2014, 03:04 PM
Plastic tupperware container for leftover foods. Wrap some napkins around them and you're set.

bubba.50
09-19-2014, 03:18 PM
wrapped in a heavy blue shop type paper towel & stored in a little short single-serve Pringles can.

hardy
09-19-2014, 04:29 PM
Old White socks ,you can use a Sharpie to indicate contents.Use them for rifle bolts also ,when you can,t slide the intact rifle into your gunsack as in straight bolt mil-surps or just for security reasons.Cheers Mike..

Omnivore
09-19-2014, 09:10 PM
For what it's worth; I store my single spare cylinder in a vegetable-tanned, leather, belt pouch, probably from Cabela’s. No issues in several years. The only time it comes out of that pouch is when I load it into the gun, which is rarely. It stays on my gun belt, but I usually don’t use but the one cylinder when shooting because I’d rather not have to clean two.

Without the pouch I'd put it in a box with some paper for padding. They come shipped in a small box after all, and so if I had a bunch of them I'd put the little boxes into a single, larger one.

The issue then would be how to handle multiple spare cylinders while out somewhere shooting. If they’re not on your belt they’re what, lying helter skelter on a table or in some kind of a dispenser? If you have fashioned a dispenser (something like an egg crate maybe - holes cut in one layer of dense foam, and pasted to another layer or a board of plywood for a floor?) that’s where you store them at home. Where I shoot (the great wide open) there are no tables (and no fixed shooting positions) so if they’re not on my belt they’d have to be in a pocket, which is un-handy, and I wish to do only that which is handy.

One cylinder for use (the second cylinder gets used only if I’m showing off the Remington to someone else), a box of consumable cartridges which contain all the necessary lube, a capper, and I’m happy. Gun, cartridge box, capper, gun belt, ear plugs. That's four things, the way I see it (I already wear glasses). Simple is good.