PDA

View Full Version : Sizer recommendations?`

selmerfan
01-31-2008, 01:52 PM
I'm looking to get into casting and see that there are basically two options for sizing my bullets. Either the Lee sizer for a few dollars, or one of the various lubrisizers for over 100 clams. I'd love to hear pros and cons of the different pieces of equipment and what will work well for a low-volume caster.
Selmerfan

Forester
01-31-2008, 02:12 PM
I'm looking to get into casting and see that there are basically two options for sizing my bullets. Either the Lee sizer for a few dollars, or one of the various lubrisizers for over 100 clams. I'd love to hear pros and cons of the different pieces of equipment and what will work well for a low-volume caster.
Selmerfan

Can you give some details on what you mean by low volume and what calibers you might plan to cast for?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-31-2008, 02:23 PM
Another thought is that depending on what bullet you plan to cast, you may not need a sizer and can use "as cast." Before you go too far, you need to slug your barrel and get the groove and land dimensions, so you know what you're dealing with. Makes it much easier to plan your setup out that way.

Regards,

Dave

selmerfan
01-31-2008, 04:22 PM
I intend to cast for my .357 Max barrel and possibly my .30-06, but definitely the .357 Max first. When I say low volume, I mean that I would make around 1000 bullets per year at most to fulfill my shooting needs. I don't have the dimensions, but I have a request in with the barrel maker to see if they know what the exact dimensions are on the barrel. Thanks for the help.
Selmerfan

felix
01-31-2008, 04:43 PM
The boolit sizer has more to do with your chamber dimensions, most especially in the neck area. Not the barrel dimensions. The boolit size should be that which gives 0.002 total clearance between the loaded case neck and the chamber. So, it is most important to know the thickness of the brass you are going to use, and ask the smithy to compensate to meet the criteria. ... felix

454PB
01-31-2008, 04:45 PM
When I started out many years ago, I was shooting well over 1000 rounds per year, and I lubed the boolits with my fingers......so it is possible to get the job done with a minimal investment and equipment. In my opinion, the Lee system would work perfectly for you.

However, I'll bet you that if the bug bites, you're going to want more speed and volume at some point. When and if you do, the Lee system can be a backup or handed down to another newbie.

selmerfan
01-31-2008, 05:04 PM
The boolit sizer has more to do with your chamber dimensions, most especially in the neck area. Not the barrel dimensions. The boolit size should be that which gives 0.002 total clearance between the loaded case neck and the chamber. So, it is most important to know the thickness of the brass you are going to use, and ask the smithy to compensate to meet the criteria. ... felix

Is this in reference to bottle-necked cartridges or straight-walled cartridges or both? If it's bottle necked only, I'm not sure why you need that much clearance between the case neck and the chamber. I shoot a 6ppc barrel as well and have only .0005" clearance on that and it works great. Are cast bullets different with regard to loading technique?
Selmerfan

felix
01-31-2008, 05:35 PM
Clearance for rock hard bullets can be trully minimum because the bullet is down the barrel quite a ways before full pressure hits, assuming slow powder typical for BR work. Faster powders always require harder bullets/boolits because of that immediate obturation, where the boolit CAN still be in the case. We are talking ignition trial and error here. Yes, straight walled cases are no different. They have a neck, right? If not, then you are talking breech seating, which you are not contemplating by your question. Besides, with boolits you will have some extra fouling not encountered with hard bullets. ... felix

selmerfan
01-31-2008, 05:40 PM
Ok, Felix, I'm with you now.
Selmerfan