PDA

View Full Version : 45acp help please

jeepyj
09-08-2014, 08:13 PM
Very recently I picked up a Smith 4" Thunder Ranch model 22 45 acp. It is a fixed sight. My question is usually one can adjust the sights but this one I can't so what is the best way to go about changing the loads to match the fixed sights? The first (and only) load I've tried is my tried and true that I use in a SR1911. That is a 452374-225 grain loaded with 6.8 grains of unique. Off the rest, set at 75' they shot very consistent at 3 inches low an 3 inches left. I'm about to try some load variations and a different boolit -452460 in a few variations. Am i on the right track?
jeepyj

Love Life
09-08-2014, 08:31 PM
Work up from the min to the max load with a boolit weight. If nothing gets you to POA try a lighter boolit or heavier boolit and work up again...or file the sights.

Sweet revolver. Very sweet revolver!!

HeavyMetal
09-08-2014, 08:33 PM
The odds are this was set up at S&W for GI ball loads with a 6 O'Clock hold at 25 yards.

Your range is correct but your load might be a touch fast, thry going to 6.4 Grains Unique and hold at 6 O'clock this may slow the load down enough to bring the boolit "up" into the POA but you may need to "twist" the barrel to correct your windage.

I'd concentrate on getting the load up 3 inches and then deal with the windage issue, the 452460 may cure both but I doubt it.

I will be watching this thread with interest, a pet peeve of mine with fixed sight guns is they rarely shoot as they should Hopefully a load will be found to get what you want out of it.

PS:
Dump those grips, LOL! I have never done well with that "magna" style grip a set of Pachy's is a cheap investment

nagantguy
09-08-2014, 08:46 PM
I think you got a broken one in the spirit of good will and friend ship I'd let you send it to me, and I'll take the burden of a broken gun off your hands. But for real the 1917 my uncle let me play with for a few years had the same problem low and left, lighter bullets over max charges was the cure.

jeepyj
09-08-2014, 09:04 PM
Work up from the min to the max load with a boolit weight. If nothing gets you to POA try a lighter boolit or heavier boolit and work up again...or file the sights.

Sweet revolver. Very sweet revolver!!

i've been casting tonight in preparation for the weekend. With any luck I'll have several test different test boolits.
Thank you for the complement the action is unbelievably smooth. Funny thing is I was waiting one like yours to come in on trade at my LGS for some time but this one came along so I figured I'd give it a try and if it doesn't work out the LGS owner said I could trade it back in without much of a loss.
jeepyj

jeepyj
09-08-2014, 09:18 PM
[QUOTE=HeavyMetal;2924031]The odds are this was set up at S&W for GI ball loads with a 6 O'Clock hold at 25 yards.

Your range is correct but your load might be a touch fast, thry going to 6.4 Grains Unique and hold at 6 O'clock this may slow the load down enough to bring the boolit "up" into the POA but you may need to "twist" the barrel to correct your windage.

I'd concentrate on getting the load up 3 inches and then deal with the windage issue, the 452460 may cure both but I doubt it.

I will be watching this thread with interest, a pet peeve of mine with fixed sight guns is they rarely shoot as they should Hopefully a load will be found to get what you want out of it.

PS:
Dump those grips, LOL! I have never done well with that "magna" style grip a set of Pachy's is a cheap investment[/QUOTE

After the weekend I should be able to post some results I should have at least 6 different combinations to try. Interestingly my comment to the fellow I was shooting with sunday was i've got to changeout these grips!
Jeepyj

Love Life
09-08-2014, 09:23 PM
I like the S&W target stocks.

dubber123
09-08-2014, 09:28 PM
In general, heavier will shoot higher, and slower will shoot higher. The 452460's at about 200 grs. may shoot even lower than your 230's. Just a change in grip or shooting off a rest Vs. off hand can make a big difference in impact. I have been fiddling with a .32 mag lately, and even with the minimal recoil, grip can change impact by almost 2" at 25 yds. It doesn't take much to pull or push groups left or right either. The advice to try other grips is worth exploring, they too can make a big difference.

A boolit worth trying later is the LEE 200 RF. Mine casts at 215 grs., and shoots into 2.5" at 50 yds. from my 625 with a healthy dose of Power Pistol.

Groo
09-10-2014, 03:44 PM
Groo here
Contact S&W about a new front sight.
The early ones had too tall front sight [ mine was]
S&w will replace, the gun should then hit point of aim with Hardball loads.
Try to bench for left and right , and tell the factory also.

35remington
09-10-2014, 07:03 PM
Do NOT shoot off a rest to judge point of impact congruency unless you know exactly how to do it. Be especially wary of padding under the butt of the gun when you support it. Ask me how I know this. Check point of impact from unsupported positions and report back. The gun must be free to recoil in a similar way to how you normally hold it.....which is not usually off a rest.

Rule is....check point of impact the right way before modifying anything. Fixed sights cannot be readjusted very well once material is removed.

jeepyj
09-11-2014, 09:40 PM
Well tonight I got the first of the experimental rounds ready. I've loaded 12 rounds of each style. Two different boolit types. 4 different loads from minimum to almost max. Ironically both the 452374 hardball and 452460 swc take the same minimum load and same maximum load in power pistol. I started with 6.3 grain next 6.5,6.7 and finally 6.9, The max on both is 7.0. I'll see how things work out but I'm thinking 6 off hand and 6 off the rest. i decided on the off hand after reading 35remingtons post. I feel that I have substantial experience off the rest but it will worth ruling it out. I'm hoping this will be a fun experience. I'll post the results after the weekend. Groo well see how this goes before I call Smith about the front sight. Many thanks to everyone for the input so far, I'm excited to see the results!
Jeepyj

jeepyj
09-16-2014, 11:36 AM
Alright so I went out with my test boolits and didn't have the kind of luck I was hopping for. I definitely was able to change the point of impact and positively change the windage but no way was it coming up the amount I needed for height. Today I called Smith and Wesson and they confirmed from the serial Number that mine has an improper front sight from the factory and he put the correct one in the mail at no charge. I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly my call was answered and my concern was remedied. I'll start another round of testing after the new front sight arrives. Thanks for the help from those who responded.
Jeepyj

357Mag
09-16-2014, 12:54 PM
Jeep -

Howdy !
If you think you might be carrying the gun for self defense, you can try your loads in closer.... say 7yds. Most handgun altercations take place @ fairly short range.
This might present you w/ a nice number of viable load choices. After all, for SD.... you need " useful " accuracy.

With regards,
357Mag