PDA

View Full Version : The 1998-2003 modern rolling blocks by Remington Arms Co.

Dixiejack
09-08-2014, 06:23 PM
Does anyone have, had, shot and/or know someone a new model Remington No.1 that was built in several models during the period from around 1998 to around 2005 by Remington's custom shop. Looking at a sporter in .45/70 and wonder if these rifles were worth a damn. Haven't been able to find out much about them.

smkummer
09-08-2014, 06:53 PM
Mine is at the gunshop right now and I should be able to pick it up soon and shoot it. Stay in tune.

John in PA
09-08-2014, 06:58 PM
There have been several versions of them. They made a limited edition batch that were cased with fancy midrange sights, casehardened receivers, lovely checkered stocks. They made a very few that were factory engraved, out of that same run. Then they made plainer versions with blued receivers, round barrels, and open sights. All were quite pricy. Opinions vary as to whether they're as good as a custom rolling block from, say, Lone Star Rifle Company. I forget who made the actions for them. They wer NOT made in house, though they were finished there I believe. I have one of the engraved ones, and I have no complaints about quality or appearance. I think if I was to spend big bucks on a rolling block, I'd get one that's an old original that's been reworked by a pro. There's a good looking one on GB right now, though I think it's a bit strong on price.

MT Chambers
09-13-2014, 06:11 PM
My understanding of them is that they were not true to the orig. and parts are not interchangeable, a Lonestar is/was a much better rifle and true to orig.

Starvnhuntr
09-14-2014, 01:00 AM
I bought one in 2003. waited a year and 2 months. It arrived at the gun shop and I picked it up. now I dont know if it was remingtons or the gun shops screw up but I didn't recieve the rifle I ordered. I ordered a rifle with soule sight and front globe. I recieved a rifle with no sights and a front dovetail tha measured .469. I called remington and they told me that they don't make rifles with that size dovetail. well 800 dollars later with a visit to the gunsmith I have a rifle with average wood to metal fit that shoots very well.would I do it again? not in my lifetime.