PDA

View Full Version : Any CZ 452 Owners???

seagiant
09-08-2014, 04:32 PM
Hi,
Just grabbed a CZ 452 American LH! Wow, was really surprised by this at my LGS. Walnut stock, nice barrel, adjustable trigger,very good price. Looks like quality all around!

I was looking at all the 22 rimfire options,Ruger 10-22,Marlin 60,795,7000, Remington 550-1,everything, but for the money could not pass this up in a left handed rifle.

I hear they will shoot a 1/2" at 50 yds.? Will they???

marvelshooter
09-08-2014, 05:07 PM
A friend recently bought a CZ 455 which looks pretty much the same except for the stock shape. His will shoot 1/2" at 50 yards with the right ammo all day. Very nice .22 for the money.

higgins
09-08-2014, 05:29 PM
My scoped 452 American will shoot 1/2" groups at 50 yds. with standard velocity ammo like Winchester T22 or Remington. I've never shot any groups with real match ammo because the standard velocity I've had on hand for years is plenty accurate for my plinking purposes.

It is sad that Remington used to make real nice, accurate .22s (541?) but just gave away that market segment to CZ, even when the Remington rifles sell for $500+ in good condition.

seagiant
09-08-2014, 05:39 PM
Hi,
Thanks! I just saw where CZ stopped making the 452 in 2011,going to the 455! I feel good I got a 452 LH when I did. There is a guy on U-Tube showing him making head shots with a CZ bolt .22 at 100 yds! I guess they will shoot!

Ok, just found out they are still making the 452 LH? Mine IS a new rifle! Funny!

Dixiejack
09-08-2014, 06:10 PM
I have two LH 452's. One is the Bavarian style stock in .22 LR and the other is like yours (452 American) in .17 HMR. I don't like the .17 HMR caliber and wished CZ had made it in .22 WMR in a LH. Got a price on a .22 mag. barrel and decided it was not worth the price. Will probably sell the .17 and put the money into another old single shot. Oh, better say something about the .22 RF. It's the best .22 I ever owned except for my single shots.

Heavy
09-08-2014, 08:39 PM
Got my CZ 452 left hand bout three years ago. You are going to be happy,happy,happy, per Phil Robertson. My is flat amazing with Federal auto match. Really just about any standard speed works good.

PB234
09-08-2014, 08:52 PM
Try some Wolf Match. Go to Rimfirecentral.com and the CZ forum there for a bunch of guys who love the line. Try getting info on inexpensive modifications to the trigger that I think are called Yo Dave now known by different name sold on fleabay.

The problem with the 452 line is that you will want another, but as you consider it get a single shot adapter which CZ sells or try Denny (ask on the CZ forum on Rimfirecentral.com) for an old Brno metal one. Don't care for the floor plate shape? You can get a replacement. Want a little stronger firing pin spring? It can be had for not much.

CZ makes terrific products. check out the Wlliams peep sight too.

Great rifle.

Stonecrusher
09-08-2014, 10:18 PM
I love mine. Like Heavy's rifle, mine thrives on Federal Auto-Match. around 3/8" at fifty and under 1" at 100. Trigger was a little nasty out of the box. They make kits to fix that but they seem a little chintzy to me. I put an adjustable sear in mine. It now has a great trigger. By far the best .22 rifle I have owned.

seagiant
09-08-2014, 10:40 PM
Hi,
Thanks,What ring, scopes are you guys using? Sort of looking at the 2x7 Nikon for the .22 LR.

wrench man
09-09-2014, 01:18 AM
Last time out shooting I was able to hit the swinging dingers with the GF's 452 UL off hand shooting Federal 711B for 49 out of the 50 at 25yrds, with the stock open sights.

Forrest r
09-09-2014, 06:02 AM
CZ's make a fantastic 22lr, always like the pencil bbl'd lux's. A pic of my 1996 lux with a lyman 20x on it.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/closeluxlyman.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/closeluxlyman.jpg.html)

You want to hit small, then you need to aim small, typical 50yd groups with that lux & mid-grade match ammo.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/czlux13mm.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/czlux13mm.jpg.html)

The only real drawback of the cz's is the finish of the interior of their bolts. The inside of the bolt body & fp are full of tool marks. I took a little time with that lux bolt & polished the bolt body & fp. Replaced the striker spring & reshaped the fp hit. The end result was close to a 40% reduction in group size. Typical fp hits on the vostok russian 22lr ammo. The vostok ammo is an excellent choice to use to test for lite fp hits/strikes. Allot of people tried this ammo & quit using it due to the extremely hard brass that led to inconsistent ignition that caused poor accuracy and ftf's. (ftf ='s fail to fire/fp ='s firing pin).

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/czrussialfirepin.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/czrussialfirepin.jpg.html)

seagiant
09-09-2014, 10:33 AM
Hi,
Interesting Forrest,thanks for the pics and info! I will check that out. It seems (from what I'm reading) that the rifles ARE accurate but can be even better with some tweeks!

Trigger work, pillars,bedding,polishing,all seem to help! Well I love to tinker!

snowwolfe
09-09-2014, 11:15 AM
I have owned a 452 lefty for about 7 years or so. Very accurate rifle, especially for what it cost. Not quite as good as my Coopers but then it was less than 1/4 the cost as well. I always tell people the CZ 452 is the best bang per buck if you want a quality 22 rifle. I did replace the trigger in mine and it was a huge improvement.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-09-2014, 12:27 PM
I recently pickup a CZ-452 Lux at a gunshow for an incredible cheap price...came with one extra Mag also, it looked like new, maybe test fired only?

I would have posted earlier, but I have only test fired this rifle myself utilizing the factory iron sites. It came with NO rings. I did a little research and found the most economical ring mount was made by BKL, they are highly recommended on other forums for the CZ-452 and are suppose to fit both 11mm and 3/8. I guess CZ has used both on their rimfire rifles, so it's hard to know which is which without measuring. Mine was definitely 11mm.
http://www.bkltech.com/BKL-6-Long-Dovetail-Rings-p/bkl-257.htm

My rings arrived a couple weeks ago, I mounted a 4x12x40 Vortex and anything larger, I'd need the high rings they offer. The scope clears the rear site, but when I install the scope covers, the front cover touches the rear site.

Hi,
Thanks,What ring, scopes are you guys using? Sort of looking at the 2x7 Nikon for the .22 LR.

seagiant
09-09-2014, 03:39 PM
Hi Jon,
I think those are the "Medium" rings! Does the bolt clear the scope ok when chambering?

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-09-2014, 05:17 PM
I may have worded that part of the post poorly.
to be specific, there are no 'medium' ring mounts.

There are the regular ring mounts (Bottom of mount to bottom of scope tube: 0.774")
and there are the high ring mounts (Bottom of mount to bottom of scope tube: 0.974")

I bought the 'regular' ring mounts that I linked to, What I was trying to say was, if you chose to mount a scope with an objective larger than 40mm and don't want to remove the rear sight, you'll need to buy the high ring mounts. as you can see in the photo, the objective of my scope is about .050" away from the rear sight.

And yes, the bolt handle opens and closes with about .150" clearance of my scope, now my scope, as you can see in the photo, has a large eyepiece end due to it being a illuminated recticle, that's a battery compartment on top. Anyway, the eyepiece body measures 1.780"

I kind of took a chance when ordering the 'regular' ring mounts, but I like a low mounted scope...and if this vortex wouldn't work, I'd have found another scope that would.

Now, I'm posting all this, not just for you, but anyone reading this. I'd have loved to have this info before I ordered these ring mounts, I read several posts on several other forums about these ring mounts being used on a CZ-452, but no one got into detail about what size scope would fit or NOT.

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/scopemountII_zps7ef5f85a.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/scopemountII_zps7ef5f85a.jpg.html)

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/scopemount_zps2c7f94a3.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/scopemount_zps2c7f94a3.jpg.html)

Forrest r
09-09-2014, 06:14 PM
The lux's do better with looooonnnnnnggggg bodied scopes like the lyman 20x in the post I did above. Those are medium height rings, the long bodied scopes put the bell in front of the rear sight. And still leaves plenty of room for the bolt to clear/function. If you look at the rear of the scope (back of scope is past the pistol grip) you will see it's set back for off-hand shooting (no crawling the stock).

The higher powered sightrons are another good quality scope that is long bodied with narrow bells that do well when paired with the lux's. I used to run a sightron 6-24 x 42 with a target dot on the lux with those same rings before I put the 20x lyman on.

I did a little trigger work on that lux & it helped but reworking the bolt & putting in a new exra-power striker spring made that pencil bbl's cz come alive. After the work the cz gave a std bbl'd 1516 anschutz that I owned all that it could handle so down the road the annie went.

Cz makes one heck of a rimfire rifle, hard to beat the bang for the buck that they provide.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-09-2014, 06:24 PM
The lux's do better with looooonnnnnnggggg bodied scopes like the lyman 20x in the post I did above. Those are medium height rings, the long bodied scopes put the bell in front of the rear sight. And still leaves plenty of room for the bolt to clear/function. If you look at the rear of the scope (back of scope is past the pistol grip) you will see it's set back for off-hand shooting (no crawling the stock)

Ya know, I do have a Weaver T10 that is about as long as your Lyman ...I have that on a short mauser custom and have considered something different on it as well, hmmm

seagiant
09-09-2014, 06:59 PM
Hi,
Thanks Jon! I'm probably going to go with those rings! They look stout (thanks for the pics) which is good and seem to be popular and affordable!

I think I'm going to go with a Nikon 3x9x40 BDC 150 that is being replaced by another model,I can pick it up for $130 shipped! It has a good rep and nice glass! Still looking but there's so much info and opinions it gets crazy!

Sekatoa
09-09-2014, 07:08 PM
I have 452 youth model I bought to teach my kids on. That's a sweet little rifle. Small size makes it a great little stowaway model too.

wv109323
09-09-2014, 10:02 PM
I have a 452 varmint barrel. It has a cheap Barska 3-9x. I have shot it a little but it has shot5/8" at 50y. With Augils std. Velocity.'

seagiant
09-09-2014, 10:23 PM
I have a 452 varmint barrel. It has a cheap Barska 3-9x. I have shot it a little but it has shot5/8" at 50y. With Augils std. Velocity.'

Hi,
From what I'm reading with a few tweeks (floating barrel, pillars,bedding, trigger,ect.) people are getting close to 3/8" at 50 yds with the right ammo!

A good scope helps too!:mrgreen:

Jack Stanley
09-10-2014, 04:27 PM
You keep on talking about CZ rifles and you make my itch get worse !! I emailed them asking about left handed 22 magnums and so far they have no news or rumor about the next run of them :-(

I like the T-bolt but not as much as the CZ .... they are available though .

Jack

seagiant
09-10-2014, 07:28 PM
You keep on talking about CZ rifles and you make my itch get worse !! I emailed them asking about left handed 22 magnums and so far they have no news or rumor about the next run of them :-(

I like the T-bolt but not as much as the CZ .... they are available though .

Jack

Hi Jack,
Thanks for the info! I never warmed up to T-Bolts although believe they are an excellent rifle! My taste seems to be running to European types lately (looking for a Tikka also)

On my CZ 452 American,I backed the set nut out as far as it will go with the factory trigger spring and bathed the trigger and sear catch points with some MOLY lube I get from my job and I'm content right now with the trigger.

Stock is good for me although I will have to lengthen it for my LOP. The barrel is good and should have all the accuracy I need. A decent scope, rings, and I should be good. Might even splurge later for some nice bottom metal and a tactical bolt handle!

It IS nice to have the bolt handle on the "right" side!

Boyscout
09-10-2014, 07:53 PM
I love my CZ 452. It is minute-of-squirrel at 100 yds with CCI Stingers and a 4x Scope.

Petrol & Powder
09-10-2014, 08:09 PM
An acquaintance purchased a CZ .22 caliber bolt action (don't recall the model number) and that thing would shoot extremely small groups. I was very impressed with the accuracy of that rifle and if I was in the market for a .22 rimfire, the CZ would be on my list.

Calamity Jake
09-10-2014, 08:25 PM
Here's what my 452 does:http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?203813-MY-CZ-452-at-50-yards

Jack Stanley
09-10-2014, 09:07 PM
seagiant , the crazy thing is I was looking for a lefty 22 magnum when I bought my 527 left hand LUX last December . Even though I have loads all around the 22 magnum in performance I still want ....... there's that word ;-) a nice rim fire rifle . I can't afford a Cooper , no one is letting go of the old Kimbers so I'm left with CZ and Browning .

I love the set trigger on the 527 , but I still need to adjust the regular function of the trigger when I get time .

Jack

seagiant
09-10-2014, 09:35 PM
Hi,
Jake,wow! VERY nice group! Hope mine will do that when I get it all together!

I grew up with a Rem."TargetMaster" in the 60"s! It was a single action and had a "trough" to drop the cartridge on and then run the bolt in. When the squirrels were thick and heavy I would hold a few .22's in my mouth so I could load on the run!

Jack, I have a "tactical" AR-15 with a Aimpoint M2 red dot for CQB, and I'm happy with that as I can reload for it. The CZ452 is for cheap plinking and varmits although I will not shoot anything unless there is no other way around it!

I don't see a .22mag in my future although they seem to be popular. Good luck in your search and yes "Coopers" are out of my league!

Vinne
09-10-2014, 11:26 PM
Great rifle!! With the right ammo, it can shoot better than I can. I have a Leupold on mine and it is a joy to shoot. I have not shot it in a year due to the ammo shortage and I sure miss it. You can't go wrong getting one.

seagiant
09-13-2014, 11:54 AM
Hi,
Well,still trying to set the rifle up. Made some pillars for it and opened up the stock a little to make sure the barrel was free floated. I'm going to wait and see how it shoots before doing a total bed job! Still waiting on parts to set it up like I want!

Also got my DIP scope mount so I can use any Weaver type rings that I want. Also looks good to me!

seagiant
09-13-2014, 06:42 PM
Hi,
Well got the Graco butt pad extender on. I don't know who CZ was trying to please with their 13"LOP on this rifle??? To long for a kid and to short for an adult?

Had to wait on belts for my belt grinder. Still waiting on a pair of Burris Zee Rings. Only rings I have now are the ARMS #22's that are excellent but way overkill for this application. I am going to use my Weaver 3X10X40 Tac for the time being. If you run the power down it will focus just fine for closer ranges!

waco
09-15-2014, 01:17 PM
I was going to get a CZ but I ran into an absolute steal on a Kimber 22 Hunter that I couldn't pass on!

Bigslug
09-18-2014, 12:47 AM
I bought my 452 military trainer (plain wood Lux) when I was working in a gunshop maybe 13-14 years ago. Nice thing about working behind the scenes - you can pick through the test targets that come with the riles. I plugged a Rifle Basix sear into it to clean up the trigger, but otherwise have left it alone. It has repeatedly done five shot, dime-sized groups at 50Y with Wolf Match Target. I've REALLY got to feed it some Eley one of these days. . .

Scoping it with the rear tangent sight was a bit problematic. It started with a Weaver 2-7 on the stock CZ rings because the original intent was for pest control. When I realized it was something truly special in the accuracy department, I put a Weaver 4-16 on it, but that required going to tall BKL rings that were never very comfortable to shoot with. I've recently installed a Leupold VX2 3-9 EFR which is sitting on BKL rings lower than those required for the 4-16, but a little higher than the CZ factory rings. Still getting to know that one, but I think I've finally found glass worthy of the gun.

sniper
12-18-2014, 01:11 AM
Unusual experience; I had one, It shot very well, I really wanted to like the rifle, because my wife gave it to me for a retirement present. QC problems with the bolt led to frequent hang-ups. Factory response was that I didn't know how to operate a bolt action. None of my other bolt actions ever gave a problem. Seeing my disappointment, my wife suggested a sale. I wouldn't mind having another, or the 455 American...if I could be sure I wouldn't have to experience another round of frustration and disappointment. But really, I would rather have an Anschutz. 8-)

Whiterabbit
12-18-2014, 02:33 AM
Just bought a 455. don't have enough down the pipe to truly know, but I do like it very much. It shot cheaper CCI green tag something or other just as well as the fancy federal super duper match $20 for 50 rounds stuff. Also a military trainer with the tangent rear sight. Bought for offhand irons shooting at 25-100 yards. Needless to say it doesn't do what the folks on rimfire central can do, but I wouldn't expect it to seeing as I shoot offhand unrested. Covers the need and handles like a decent bolt rifle.

Bucking the Tiger
12-18-2014, 11:19 AM
Bought CZ452 Super Lux with the 28.5" barrel years ago and love it! If I could see it through my 3x9 scope I could hit it. Was not picky about ammo either.

Whiterabbit
12-18-2014, 12:33 PM
I had to choose between the 455 miliraty trainer and that 452. Hard choice. Ended up choosing for barrel swap ability. If not for that, I would have loved ot have the extra barrel length and the 452 name.

Of course it was not till after I bought the 455 that I find out that rimfire central considers the 452 more accurate than the 455. Oh well. Mine seems plenty accurate.

Jack Stanley
12-18-2014, 04:53 PM
I would have had a hard time with a choice like that Whiterabbit . Fortunately the shop I found my 452LH at did not have the 455 military trainer . I shoot a lot of offhand too and it would have been hard but being a lefty I'm happy with the 452 American .

Jack

Ballistics in Scotland
12-20-2014, 12:52 PM
My Brno was bought new in the UK for £30 10 shillings and sixpence in 1970. It has a straight top to the butt and the receiver is dated 1968. so I suppose it stayed in store for a while after Dubcek's 1968 bid for democracy. It is the only frequently used firearm I can claim to have kept in virtually mint condition, except for silver soldering an inclined rectangular bead into the front sight blade (which I've never used), and replacing the rather loud foxy-red varnish with an oil finish. It is marvelous what having to count every penny can do for you.

There were only some pretty dreadful aluminium scope rings available at the time, so I ordered projectionless rings and bases to fit the dovetail from Conetrol, who have outlasted a lot of far larger companies. My Leupold 3-9x Vari-x II clears the bolt lever by only a tenth of an inch or so, but that is fine as long as you don't more often shoot rifles which are different that way. Similarly it has one of the best safeties on any rimfire rifle, although you have to be used to it. It lifts the firing pin off the sear, which I consider far superior to any trigger acting safety.

I will have to be very far gone in senility before I forget the serial number, or how to strip the bolt in two seconds. I used to reflect on that, with much muttering, every two or three years, when I had to strip and clean a friend's BSA bolt. I don't believe he ever did dare to tell his wife, a woman of character, that vegetable oil is not a gun lubricant.

georgerkahn
12-20-2014, 04:41 PM
I have the Varmint version of 452; put a Classic Weaver Rimfire AO 'scope on it, and a Bi-Pod. Not happy with trigger, I noted, purchased, and installed a Timney drop-in trigger assembly for it -- and it is now the most accurate, reliable .22 in my stable. A real plus, too, is it has no objection to using .22 long's -- in my area .22 long RIFLE has been most difficult/impossible to find, and I wish to reserve my scant .22 lr ammunition for target pistol shooting. Hence, that the CZ fires the .22 long with good results adds to its beauty (imho)
BEST!
georgerkahn

Sekatoa
12-21-2014, 12:57 AM
I have a CZ452 Youth, which I bought to introduce the kids to shooting. It is a very nice rifle. Smooth, accurate, decent adjustable trigger. And, I like that it they have single shot mags in addition to 5 & 10 rounders, so I could start them as a single shot, and then move on to how to load and operate magazines. Two of the kids have tried other rifles now, but the girls still prefer the 452. I believe I can get a larger stock when the youth stock is no longer needed, but I actually real like the size, like a mini scout rifle.

prsman23
12-21-2014, 01:48 AM
Just so you guys know. You can buy a NEW 452 american at whittakers in KY. Soon.
I picked one up from their latest shipment.
Apparently if you order large enough quantities CZ will make them. Whittakers ordered 500. About 250 have showed up and sold out. Shouldn't be more than a week or so until the next batch is in. They sell out in about a day or two though so you have to be quick if you want one. I got a nice one :-)

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/20/51cd66b5e95000b6e7b15e65a4ef6a10.jpg

There is a thread on RFC that will keep you posted.

buckwheatpaul
12-21-2014, 08:21 AM
I have the CZ in 22 mag...what a delight...very accurate and very well made....I gave a CZ in 243 to my son in law....also well made and very dependable.....

prsman23
12-21-2014, 10:55 AM
Hi,

www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336921

Kestrel4k
02-04-2015, 05:23 PM
Bumping a bit of an old thread but I've been offline for a while, and I know that folks do like pics: :)

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp33/Kestrel4000/RimfireCentral/CZ%20452/IMG_8231.jpg

Jack Stanley
02-04-2015, 10:27 PM
With rifles and scenery like that , feel free to bump any old thread you like ! ;-)

Jack

unclebill
02-09-2015, 09:19 AM
the varmint has shot the smallest group i have ever done with any rifle

pa.frank
02-16-2015, 09:25 PM
I have the Varmint version of 452; put a Classic Weaver Rimfire AO 'scope on it, and a Bi-Pod. Not happy with trigger, I noted, purchased, and installed a Timney drop-in trigger assembly for it -- and it is now the most accurate, reliable .22 in my stable. A real plus, too, is it has no objection to using .22 long's -- in my area .22 long RIFLE has been most difficult/impossible to find, and I wish to reserve my scant .22 lr ammunition for target pistol shooting. Hence, that the CZ fires the .22 long with good results adds to its beauty (imho)
BEST!
georgerkahn

I have the 452 Varmint as well. My trigger is terrible too. How difficult was it to install the Timney? How much inletting is required?

Thanks!
frank

Hammerhead
02-17-2015, 03:36 AM
452 Scout and 452 Lux in .22 WMR here. I've had 5/8" groups at 75 yards with the Scout (Velocitor) and 1-1/2" groups at 100 yards with the Lux (40 grain CCI TMJ). The tangent sights on the Lux are especially nice.
My Lux trigger is great, the Scout could use a reduction in creep, but it doesn't really bother me.