PDA

View Full Version : Little help

Bullshop Junior
09-07-2014, 10:32 PM
Alright guys. So my boss at work has a old shot gun he said he brother have him 20 years ago. He has never fired and knows I'm into guns, so asked if I want it. I have no idea what kind it is. The problem with it? He says the barrel is short. Now I don't know if it's legal or not. What I'm thinking is taking a cordless drill with me. If it's too short, drill a hole in the chamber before I ever bring it home. Once it's home, I plan on running the numbers on it. If it's clean, and the barrel was too short, I'll put a new barrel on it. If it's dirty, turn it in and be done with it. What do y'all think? Any other ideas?

Themoose
09-07-2014, 10:48 PM
What if you just removed the barrel? As long as it is not a complete firearm, I think you should be ok....

Bullshop Junior
09-07-2014, 10:52 PM
I plan on Removing it as soon as I get home. But I don't know what kind of gun it is, so don't know what is needed to take it off where I'm picking it up at, and would rather be safe then sorry on the drive home. Texas isn't as friendly as everyone thinks about gun rules.

Mr opinionated
09-07-2014, 11:09 PM
if its shorter than 18 inch it is illegal if so throw the barrel in the back of your truck the butt in the front floor board and don't act stupid on the way home and you will be OK. People in Texas hate out of state people that act stupid

Good luck MR O

Bullshop Junior
09-07-2014, 11:15 PM
I don't know what kind of gun it is. I may not be able to just pop the barrel off with no tools.

mac60
09-07-2014, 11:50 PM
I'd take a dowel rod and make a mark at 18" from one end. I'd take that and a tape measure with me. If I dropped the dowel down the bore and the mark was outside the barrel with the breech closed and it measured less than 26" overall, I wouldn't want anything to do with it.

Janoosh
09-08-2014, 06:51 AM
Most shotguns dis-assemble, and I'm talking about barrel from action, easily. Usually just popping off forend or unscrewing barrel. Bring a vise grip to loosen barrel nut if a pump. Measure barrel. ..and dump it if short. But....on most older shotguns....All the pertinent info is on the barrel.
Maybe bring a large hammer and beat the end closed.??

Bulldogger
09-08-2014, 09:01 AM
Too short could just mean it was shortened for home defense use and isn't up to running doves. Otherwise, the above suggestions could all work.
BDGR

Lonegun1894
09-09-2014, 02:30 AM
Texas isn't as friendly as everyone thinks about gun rules.

It depends on what part of Texas you happen to be in. Some parts, like Austin, San Antonio, and Houston, well, they don't seem to have much of a sense of humor about much. Then there's other places where, as long as you don't do anything to make yourself a threat to anyone or do something unsafe or stupid, it's more like... rules? What rules?

Until you get to know what part you happen to be in, please err on the side of caution, just in case.

Iron Whittler
09-09-2014, 06:23 AM
I would not do anything rash until you find out what you got. Could be it was made that way when new, old coach gun? . Just put it in a hard case, put the case in the trunk or behind the seat. When you get home, you can investigate your new piece. Just keep closed mouth until you know what you have, then go from there. Best wishes. Iron Whittler

waksupi
09-09-2014, 11:34 AM
If it turns out to be under 18", I would loose the barrel in a lake, and look for a replacement if the action was worth salvaging. I would not turn it in, as law enforcement may not just look at it as an illegal gun being handed in, but as illegal possession of a restricted firearm.

jmort
09-09-2014, 11:44 AM
I agree. Smash it and deep six it. Either on a state or federal level it is to be avoided like the plague.

Bullshop Junior
09-09-2014, 12:29 PM
If it turns out to be under 18", I would loose the barrel in a lake, and look for a replacement if the action was worth salvaging. I would not turn it in, as law enforcement may not just look at it as an illegal gun being handed in, but as illegal possession of a restricted firearm.

That was kinda my thinking.