PDA

View Full Version : Ethnic slurs and other personal attacks

Maven
01-31-2008, 10:41 AM
All, Vigorous debate is a good thing as long as it is based on facts and doesn't degenerate into name calling or worse. (Please refer to the User's Agreement for this site.) After posting a complaint to the person in question yesterday, I received a telephone call from him. I'm very pleased to report that after a frank and open discussion (sounds like a State Department phrase), he and I settled our differences as gentlemen. And, if I may say so, it was a pleasure to speak to him.

Please remember that disagreements too often generate more heat than light and that helps no one.

dubber123
01-31-2008, 10:51 AM
Well said, sometimes it is best to bite your tongue, even if it doesn't taste good.

Don McDowell
01-31-2008, 10:57 AM
So does that mean that that thread can come back up? There's some awfully good information contained in it, for folks that might be considering the purchase of a Sharps rifle.
As near as I could tell there was only one person that was really personally attacking anybody, and he's done that on everyboard I've seen him on. Notice how he started a thread to trash folks and then went back and wiped out the content of it, but left the thread hanging.
Knowing the rest of the USA built rifle cheering section , personally as I do, There was no denegration of any human intended in the comments directed towards the overseas built rifles.

fishhawk
01-31-2008, 11:05 AM
45nut may very well post it again after it's been edited for content...if you get my drift as to the content that may be removed

Don McDowell
01-31-2008, 11:46 AM
Well that would be good thing to do, I suppose ,remove the words that some folks didn't like, but let the content of the information stand.

Red River Rick
01-31-2008, 12:20 PM
Hmmmm! I don’t know about that, the way I read some of Mr. W’s comments made me think that if you don’t own a “Sharps”, you don’t own a rifle worthy enough. Unfortunately, my financial resources, along with thousands of others, didn’t/wouldn’t allow me to become one of the “ELITE” amongst those in the “Sharps World”.

It’s funny how the postings remained intact until Mr. W. added his “2 cents” worth of info. Nothing with regards to swearing or name calling had been mentioned up until that point. Try to remember who said kiss my “***”.

This is not the first time these two great “Nimrods” have battled it out verbally, and I doubt it’ll be last. The fact of the matter is that the content of the post was clean and informative until the last three posts.

I will admit however, that my post, to the one you mentioned that was deleted and left hanging, was probably in bad taste. The intent was to spark some “Humor” and not a “Duel”. I’ll be the first to admit that my judgment was poor when I made the comment “Awwwww”, but then again, I’m not perfect either and have been known to go "BRAIN DEAD" on occasion.

So, my apologies to MC, Mr. W. and the members of the board if my comment was out of “Bounds”.

By the way, I’m not scared to publish my name.

Rick Kalynuik
KAL Tool & Die

dubber123
01-31-2008, 12:30 PM
You know, maybe it's best just to let the consumer pick what he wants. A little shopping around will reveal any price differences, if thats the prime consideration. I think most people would probably realize any needed parts or service will come a little faster from a U.S. company than one from off shore. If after shopping, and weighing there options, they decide they will be well served by one of the Italian guns, go ahead and buy it! It's your money. I have an Italian gun, and though it probably only has 3,000 rounds through it, it has kept me quite happy. I got it used for 600$ If it had been a Shiloh for the same money, well, happy day!, but it wasn't. Shop smart, and buy what you want. Seems pretty simple.

jjamna
01-31-2008, 01:06 PM
I guess I missed that thread oh well. That what I like about THIS website. MOST of the time repeat Most of the time that doesn't happen here.(name calling ect. ect) However, There is another website forume for guns and such that 25% of the replies you get will be in bad taste. I had a shortcut to that site along with this one on my desktop. I got tired of the B.S. so I deleted it from the desktop and from my favorites. It is because of people like you that have posted here that this is my favorite forum site along with yesterday's tractor. If was thru a post on YT that I found this forum. I will be this first one to admit that I am not very educated but it still hurts when some starts with the bad comments I don't care who you are. I have tried to stick with -If its not good don't say it unless it is about a product someone has ask about. My hats off to Rick for stepping up and apolagizing (sorry about spelling) even though I don't know what was said, you have to admire someone who admitts it when he is wrong.
I hope I am not out of line here I just wanted to point out how much I think of this site and this site would be nothing without the people on it.
Jeff

Don McDowell
01-31-2008, 01:37 PM
You know, maybe it's best just to let the consumer pick what he wants. A little shopping around will reveal any price differences, if thats the prime consideration. I think most people would probably realize any needed parts or service will come a little faster from a U.S. company than one from off shore. If after shopping, and weighing there options, they decide they will be well served by one of the Italian guns, go ahead and buy it! It's your money. I have an Italian gun, and though it probably only has 3,000 rounds through it, it has kept me quite happy. I got it used for 600$ If it had been a Shiloh for the same money, well, happy day!, but it wasn't. Shop smart, and buy what you want. Seems pretty simple.

dubber that's the whole point. With the price of the new Italian guns now at the same level as a CSharps or Shiloh, there's got to be cause for pause before buying a new one.
In the example you give about buying a used Italian at 1/3 the cost of a new one, it also helps to make the point of lasting value, when you look at used Montana sharps that sell for nearly the same price as new.

The point Kenny made yesterday about starting with a good used Italian, while keep on looking aroud for just the rifle a person wants was a good one, that unfortunately got overlooked.:roll:

BPCR games aren't cheap to play, just the cost of ammo for a weekend match is something we don't like to think about much:confused:. So if a person is going to shoot those games, with any hopes of finishing close to the top, it makes little sense to short change yourself on equipment.

bullshot
01-31-2008, 01:46 PM
The reality is the only person that has to be happy with any firearm, or anything else is the guy that owns it.

JSnover
01-31-2008, 02:07 PM
Like I said to the member who started the thread, "It's your money, don't let someone else spend it for you." It's a HUGE help to have a board like this when you're shopping for information before you buy. Unfortunately, when some people start right off with an offensive remark it destroys a lot of their credibility. Even if they've won a stack of gold medals and written a handful of books, it's just too much of a chore to maintain a rational, productive conversation. We shouldn't take ourselves too seriously, but we can exchange a lot more information by giving as much respect as we'd like to recieve.

montana_charlie
01-31-2008, 02:15 PM
So does that mean that that thread can come back up? There's some awfully good information contained in it,
I am guessing Matt retained everything he wanted to learn from that thread...and he knows who to contact for any missing details.

As for the 'hanging thread', the option to Delete had timed out went I reconsidered it's creation. Only the Edit capability remained. Since it still remains, I may repopulate that thread, eventually.

CM

45nut
01-31-2008, 02:43 PM
I know a few know how much it pains me to see such sniping and ill-mannered behavior between people that should know how to convey their thoughts much better.

That I even had to take action gets MY hackles up because it feels as if the cliff is falling away behind me as I am being pushed by a mob of people I call friends. Simply by registering on this site I feel we have connected and having experienced being stabbed in the back by friends previously it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Members posting on this site can become friends and allies, brothers of the silver stream or they can choose to be offensive and rude and eventually find themselves on the outside looking in.
My obvious preference is to show your skills, share knowledge and feel as if every post can be looked upon favorably upon reflection. There were several posts in the other thread that had nothing of value to anyone but the posters ego. I will trim the gristle from that thread and bring it back in due time and harbor no grudge to anyone simply because there was indeed some helpful, factual and valuable information in there.

As members of the shooting fraternity it simply amazes me to need to intercede when the anti's provide a more viable outlet for our energy. Their assaults against common sense confront us daily and with much more of a evil course in mind for us all.

Relax here and remember, we are here for you and not against you, common goals and interests bond us. There are many members with much larger problems that come here to relax and wander without the pressures of daily life and visiting only to confronted with slurs does nothing for anyone's sense of well being.
The pursuit of happiness vs being caught in a cat fight over a toy, which would be the obvious choice?