PDA

View Full Version : Mould handle question

218bee
01-31-2008, 10:24 AM
As I said before I am new at this and I thought buying some of the stuff I need to get going would be easy but I get confused at every turn. Are mould handles specific to each brand of mould? I saw Lyman handles that it stated were for large size moulds, does that mean like 6 cavity and they would not work on single or double cavity? I assume there are no "universal handles". Just wondering as it seems some of the handles cost nearly as much as another mould.

dubber123
01-31-2008, 10:42 AM
Lyman has small handles, for their smaller block sizes, a large for their bigger cal 1 and 2 cavity block size, and a couple styles for their 4 cavity moulds. If you need handles for a 1 or 2 cavity Lyman mould, you can get the Lee 6 cavity commercial handles, They fit a wide range of moulds, and are much less expensive.

klausg
01-31-2008, 11:56 AM
218bee-

Are mould handles specific to each brand of mould?

The quick, easy answer is yes they are; Lyman large handles fit their current 1 & 2 cavity moulds. For their 4 cavitiy moulds you need to get 4-cav handles. Depending on how handy you are in a machine shop you could probably modify Lyman to fit RCBS, RCBS blocks have a thinner channel than Lyman. As dubber states, Lee 6-cav handles are much cheaper and can be modified to fit just about anything. Basically, if you are looking for a 'drop-in' fit, you've got to buy each corresponding handle type. Hope this helps.

-Klaus