PDA

View Full Version : Local gun show Today

jeepyj
09-06-2014, 09:19 PM
I was supposed to go to a gun show today in Bangor Maine with a couple shooting buddies. Well when it came down to the wire they both opted out. One said he figured it would be same ole thing the other had something come up. After that heavily debated about going and decided to take the Roadglide south check it out. Upon arrival I came around the corner the line was very long and the weather was perfect for riding and I almost just kept on twisting a grip but decided to see if I could get lucky...
Well since I was by myself I figured I'd cruse through to see if anything stood out. I had gone through all but the last isle I absolutely couldn't believe my eyes a 4 pound jug of "power pistol" for $89.00 dollars. I put my hand on it and asked if it was still factory sealed the vendor said yes and asked if I wanted a second one jug. Trying to contain my excitement I said yes as I was looking around his booth he had CCI primers for 32 per K. I grabbed some and pulled out my walet the gentleman said two bills is close enough. Next I found mome magizines for my model 41 @ 2 for $40. This may not be greeat new for some areas but for around here this was a Great day!!
Jeepyj

Boyscout
09-06-2014, 09:37 PM
I had the same experience last week myself. I was able to pick up two pounds of Accurate 5744. If I had the money I could have gotten 8 lbs. Winchester Primers were running between $29-$32. It was a good show if one needed powder.

Bzcraig
09-06-2014, 10:14 PM
I'm starting to see rifle powder pretty consistently at LGS but will withhold getting all gitty until I start seeing pistol powder consistently.

jcwit
09-06-2014, 11:15 PM
I'd say you made a good score.

Aren't you glad you decided to go on in?

silverado
09-06-2014, 11:19 PM
sounds like a good score to me!!!!!! congrats!!!!!!!

starmac
09-06-2014, 11:36 PM
I can get rifle powder pretty much any day of the week, IF I had a 50 bmg.

VonRundstedt
09-06-2014, 11:53 PM
Local gun show today in Macon Georgia. Buddy and I decided to sell some of those nasty old military rifles and parts. He did really great, I sold some brass, bummer. But the absolute worst buy of the show was some "professional" dealer selling a 8 lb jug of H-110 for a mere $250. I almost fell down I was laughing so hard. Some of the dealers have realized that overpriced 22 lr is not selling and are bringing it down to $45 a brick, still too high but better. Some are still in denial and are trying to sell steel case 7.62x39 for $10 a box of twenty, Wal-Mart has it for about $4.50 a box. Pistol and rifle powder are generally about $26 and up a pound, still too high but that may be the new normal. Availability is good but not great, roll the dice if your favorite powder is on the shelves, maybe, maybe not.

Garyshome
09-06-2014, 11:54 PM
Great find!

TXGunNut
09-07-2014, 12:00 AM
I scored a pound of IMR4895 and some Accurate 5744 today. Been wanting to try 5744 for awhile. May go back tomorrow and get my 2-lb limit again.

jeepyj
09-07-2014, 06:27 AM
I'd say you made a good score.

Aren't you glad you decided to go on in?

I felt so lucky after my find I bought a chance on one of 31 gun raffles!
Jeepyj

Handloader109
09-07-2014, 07:01 AM
Great find, around here I can find primers pretty easily, even cabelas had winchester for $30, got a box of Apc type for 28,figured I'd push out of the holders for a couple of $savings. Powder still short.

375supermag
09-07-2014, 08:53 AM
Hi...

Not much new to report in my area (southcentral Pa.)...

Primers are readily available, I can occasionally find .22LR (very hit and miss), most handgun powders are unobtainable. I can find W296/H110 and IMR4227...I have plenty of W296/H110 to cover my needs and haven't decided if I want to try 4227 yet. Bullseye, Unique, 2400 and most of the Dot powders are about as available as dilithium crystals, although I did find a pound of Blue Dot a couple of weeks ago.

I have enough of the above Alliant powders ( about 5-6 lbs each on average) to keep my son and I shooting through next year and maybe into the following year, so my situation is not critical.

Still, I won't feel secure until I start seeing consistent supplies on the shelves.
My plan continues to be to acquire at least one 8lb jug of Unique, 2400, Bullseye, 2400, Blue Dot, Red Dot and Promo each, whenever they become available and place them in storage as an emergency reserve. Meanwhile, I will buy 1 lb containers when possible and use them...even at a 1 lb limit per person per day, my son and I can buy 2 pounds a day which will add up quickly.

WILCO
09-07-2014, 09:18 AM
Great score!

LUBEDUDE
09-07-2014, 10:30 AM
What a smoke'n deal 375 !

HeavyMetal
09-07-2014, 11:11 AM
Glad to see Powder at that price, hope it flows West ya know!

quilbilly
09-07-2014, 03:22 PM
You lucky devil. Congratulations on the score. I went to a similar small show yesterday and saw lots of powder but not a solitary pound of pistol powder.

Boyscout
09-07-2014, 03:56 PM
Same show had plenty of Titegroup and Unique. No one had Win231, Win 296 or Alliant 2400. 800X was the only shotgun powder anyone has available around here. I'm glad I bought the 4lb can of Win 231 last winter when I found it!

oldfart1956
09-07-2014, 08:40 PM
Went to the Greencastle gun show and Sat. and was able to find some powder. Trying out some TiteGroup in the .45acp now. ($20lb.) No large jugs there and not much of any Alliant powders. Primers still too high at $42 and 22lr. still in orbit. Almost bought a Dixie Gun Works (Pedrosoli) 12ga. double for $175 but passed. Also saw a .357 Ruger 101 (if I recall correct) for $399 but just couldn't quite convince myself. Couldn't find a 1911 in 9mm....drat! Lots of them in .45. Prices on the Rock Islands are running $500+. Meanwhile Palmetto has them for $299. Go figger. Audie....the Oldfart..

Wayne Smith
09-08-2014, 12:51 PM
I was supposed to go to a gun show today in Bangor Maine with a couple shooting buddies. Well when it came down to the wire they both opted out. One said he figured it would be same ole thing the other had something come up. After that heavily debated about going and decided to take the Roadglide south check it out. Upon arrival I came around the corner the line was very long and the weather was perfect for riding and I almost just kept on twisting a grip but decided to see if I could get lucky...
Well since I was by myself I figured I'd cruse through to see if anything stood out. I had gone through all but the last isle I absolutely couldn't believe my eyes a 4 pound jug of "power pistol" for $89.00 dollars. I put my hand on it and asked if it was still factory sealed the vendor said yes and asked if I wanted a second one jug. Trying to contain my excitement I said yes as I was looking around his booth he had CCI primers for 32 per K. I grabbed some and pulled out my walet the gentleman said two bills is close enough. Next I found mome magizines for my model 41 @ 2 for $40. This may not be greeat new for some areas but for around here this was a Great day!!
Jeepyj

And very full saddlebags!

jeepyj
09-08-2014, 06:00 PM
And very full saddlebags!
Very true, but I did find out that two four pound jugs of powder will fit in one saddle bag!
jeepyj