PDA

View Full Version : Handi 444 marlin 35 rem

gpidaho
09-06-2014, 07:11 PM
Good day today. On my Saturday morning net cruise I came across two guns Ive wanted in one package. Bud had a two barrel H&R Handi with both the 444 and the 35 barrel I was able to purchase for $304 with the transfer fee. Boy, now I need a lot more stuff than I did last night. LOL GP

Tatume
09-07-2014, 07:42 AM
Hi GP,

I have the 444 Marlin; you'll have fun with it.

Take care, Tom

Kevinakaq
09-07-2014, 11:56 AM
Good day today. On my Saturday morning net cruise I came across two guns Ive wanted in one package. Bud had a two barrel H&R Handi with both the 444 and the 35 barrel I was able to purchase for $304 with the transfer fee. Boy, now I need a lot more stuff than I did last night. LOL GP

Thanks gpidaho...you took a soldier out with you!!! I went to Buds and looked up that deal and liked it and almost purchased it...but i don't favor the synthetic stocks. So I looked around a bit more and found the 444 Marlin Handi with wood stocks for 189 shipped with layaway available even...lol! So I put 20 bucks down and won't rush to get it out...maybe a nice little xmas present for me. BUT now i need mold/brass/dies...sigh...

Will make a fine rifle no doubt. I love my 45-70 handi and have purchased as gifts a 30-30 for my niece and a heavy barreled 308 for my brother.

parson48
09-07-2014, 01:52 PM
I bought one of these combo's a few months back. Sold the .444 over at Graybeard's, use the .35 for Indiana deer after trimming the cases.

scattershot
09-12-2014, 12:04 PM
Kevin, I found that same deal at Bud's. Can't find ANY brass, though, any suggestions?

jmort
09-12-2014, 12:21 PM
http://www.lohmanarms.com/product_p/run444.htm

Kevinakaq
09-12-2014, 12:42 PM
Kevin, I found that same deal at Bud's. Can't find ANY brass, though, any suggestions?

To be honest scattershop patience is the only solution i found. I looked everywhere as well and nada on the brass. Researched forming it from some other caliber and nothing seems to work well. One of the reasons I just layed it away. I thought about getting it out this weekend and then realized I would just be sitting on it till i found brass...sigh. Maybe i'll put up a thread in the WTB and try to find 20 pieces from someone to test out loads with...

I did find a used Japanese Tasco 4x yesterday in the WTS section for 15 shipped which will be nice on this rifle. I have a cheap 4x Tasco (Chinese) on my 45-70 and it works great. The Japanese one can only be better.

Thanks for the link Jmortimer on the brass...about 25 percent over what Midway charges, but of course they don't have in stock...tempting..........

gpidaho
09-14-2014, 07:28 PM
Kevin: Ive got my 35Rem brass all lined out but still no 444 Marlin. If you pick some up from the link I would go in for half to get us started, I would send ya the extra for a USPS small box GP

scattershot
09-16-2014, 10:49 AM
Well, mine is on layaway, too, and I envision shooting it as a 40/82 level round. 300 grain lead bullet at 1200 fps or so. Maybe even paper patched. What is everyone else using?

Kevinakaq
09-16-2014, 01:07 PM
Scattershot i have the Lee C430-310 in my cart right now online. With my Midway birthday price it is 17.32...not bad! I think it will be a fine starting point and deadly on any critters I could find around here. No doubt I will shoot and hunt with a light load of unique if I can find an accurate load. No sense dislocating my shoulder for deer.....

Well, mine is on layaway, too, and I envision shooting it as a 40/82 level round. 300 grain lead bullet at 1200 fps or so. Maybe even paper patched. What is everyone else using?

Lefty Red
09-16-2014, 02:25 PM
I don't like H&R's customer service, but I do like their big bore single shots.
Usually good deals at stores. My 45/70 was a very accurate rifle.
Buddy got the 444 with the cheesy camo stock. Another accurate rifle.
Jerry

gpidaho
09-17-2014, 11:34 PM
Just got mine in today, yes the stock is kinda cheezy but in all Im happy with the deal. Both the barrels are 22inch and heavy. Have no experience with 444 but as it came along in the combo deal with the 35 Rem it may save me buying yet another Handi say 45-70 Hope to try the round ball trick with this using Trail Boss or Unique. I see Lee has a .433 round mold. Comments and advice welcome GP

Kevinakaq
04-02-2015, 04:29 PM
Was wondering how you guys made out with your Handi's? I had forgotten about mine on layaway and luckily realized it a few days before it expired. I had moved to NH and started new job, etc. Have not had a chance to test yet but did accumulate brass and a lee mold. Need to get all my reloading supplies up from Florida now that winter has finally broke and I might be able to do some shooting soon. I sure picked a good year to move to New England!

taco650
04-06-2015, 11:29 AM
Since somebody else already resurrected this thread...

I've seen these combo's on Bud's before so I curious how they worked out. Hope the OP chimes in on his experiences with this combo.

Four-Sixty
04-10-2015, 02:18 PM
Bud's has the CVA Hunter in 35 Remington now for $170.00

gpidaho
04-11-2015, 06:00 PM
Hi Guys, just noticed my old thread had come back to life. I've just been working on the 444 in the last week. I'm having a lot more fun with this half of the combo than I first thought I might. I've had my ups and downs with the 444, up until now I had never leaded a rifle bore (thought I'd learned my lesson on revolvers) Got the chance to spend some quality time on the bore getting it back to shining again. lol I opened my Lee .430 sizer up to .432 and things got much better. I also powder coat most of the boolits. So far I'm liking RL7 the best as a powder choice. Been having a little trouble getting powders like 3031 to burn clean and tried some case fillers for the first time. Good news, no bad effect from using the filler, bad news, still burnt pretty dirty. I'm new to this large case large bore stuff but I'll get it. Like the shotgun feel to the recoil, at the load levels I'm working at more of the big push than sharp and strait back like say a 270win.

gpidaho
04-11-2015, 06:04 PM
Sorry for the double post hit the wrong key. Yes Kevin, great year to head north, hope alls well for you up there. Chime in guys and let me know what you are doing with your 444s Having fun with mine. GP

tdoyka
04-17-2015, 06:14 PM
my is a tc encore in 444 marlin with a 23" MGM factory heavy barrel. today i shot out the last of my j-words bullets. i'll scrub out my barrel till its nice and clean, then a 280gr ranch dog with i hope h4198.

i never tried rel7, although i have a pound of it. h4198 goes to another encore, 20 vartarg, so i used it.