PDA

View Full Version : 300 Blk brass test

Jeff Maney
09-06-2014, 04:31 PM
Today, I loaded and fired the same LC04 5.56 blank brass case converted to
300 AAC Blackout as a test of the blank brass.
Case was NOT annealed. Load was:
Hornady 150 FMJBT, W296/16.0, Rem 7 1/2, 1,940 FPS, 2.068" COAL

Load # case visual case length resize effort primer seating re-trim comments
1. once fired 1.358” very light tight no
2. ok 1.361 light tight no
3. ok 1.362 light tight no
4. ok 1.364 normal tight no
5. ok 1.366 bit harder easier no
6. ok 1.368 normal easier yes trim 1.357
7. ok 1.359 bit harder same no
8. ok 1.363 same looser no
9. ok 1.365 same looser no
10. ok 1.367 same stop test no case would need trimming
I stopped after 10 firings in the same case! No sign of head separation
(checked w/paper clip) or any sign of a neck split. Case still looked usable after 10 firings and
I have re-used other cases that had a looser primer pocket than this case did! I think the LC 5.56
blank cases will work fine for conversion to 300 AAC Blackout!

Thanks,
Jeff
Sorry about the formatting, looked good until I posted?

wyrmzr
09-06-2014, 09:12 PM
One thing about the converted brass that I've noticed: a lot of the 5.56/.223 brass is annealed a long way down the case. Having noticed that, I don't anneal, because with much of that brass, I'd just be redoing what has already been done.
As of yet, I've had no issues as a result. One very veteran reloader explained it to me this way: "Try out the cases first. If you have problems, anneal. If not, why do more work?"

Jeff Maney
09-07-2014, 08:22 AM
I have a batch of 300BO cases made from blanks (Grumpa) and no problems. It appears that the primers were never crimped into the blank cases vs crimped in military ball.
In this lot of blanks, I have LC04, LC05, LC06, LC07, LC10 & LC12, all cases have had crimped primers. Some crimps were heavier, I use the Dillon swager to remove the crimp, works great. I did change to the 30 cal. case locator rod to hold the case level while swaging.
Jeff

GRUMPA
09-07-2014, 09:47 AM
All the blanks I've ever converted did have a crimped primer. The main difference is that the blanks are just that, noise makers and therefore the cases had very little pressure if any expand them like regular ball ammo. I've done the conversion on more than a few K of those over the years. Doing those in my mind is like working with virgin brass, they were never really subjected to expansion and forming them is a breeze. Although removing the primers for some reason is a pain sometimes. They like to stick to the de-capping rod wanting to seat themselves back in the case, while the other full power cases don't.

I don't know why folks don't like using them as a rule, maybe urban legend or something I don't know. They do come with a knurl at the base of the case and seems to be more cosmetic than anything. But even now when I get a request for them I have yet to hear of any issues from using them. From what information I can get they work just like the regular brass.

GRUMPA
09-07-2014, 09:59 AM
One thing about the converted brass that I've noticed: a lot of the 5.56/.223 brass is annealed a long way down the case. Having noticed that, I don't anneal, because with much of that brass, I'd just be redoing what has already been done.
As of yet, I've had no issues as a result. One very veteran reloader explained it to me this way: "Try out the cases first. If you have problems, anneal. If not, why do more work?"

I would say that over 95% of the 300BO brass I do gets annealed. There are many different types of ways to anneal cases out there and a lot of folks offer annealing for those that want it. The thing about annealing in general is just anneal the neck and not the body. I use a Ken Light annealer and the cases ride in an aluminum wheel filled with water. What that does is take the heat from the case. You'll still get what I call "color travel" on the body but it's more cosmetic than anything.

If you just click on this link it will take you to my page in the VS section of the site, just look at the pictures and take note it's the necks I anneal on all of them. Grumpa (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?117-Grumpa)

But that saying is true, if it doesn't create a problem why make more work for yourself.