PDA

View Full Version : Rolling papers

Nobade
09-06-2014, 02:45 PM
I found an interesting thing today in the LGS - C.W. Cartridge company kit for making your Sharps paper cartridges. It has 200 nitrated papers, a glue stick, and a teflon rod for rolling them on. I'm not sure when these were made, but the glue is still good. I bought a 54 caliber kit, and they have 50 and 45 caliber kits also as well as a big box of refill papers. The papers are kind of neat, they're printed with the caliber and the CW Cartridge logo. Anybody here know anything about these? Fun old stuff....

-Nobade

starmac
09-06-2014, 04:10 PM
Now if you can just find a rolling machine, similar to the old prince albert machines, it would be double cool.

Fly
09-06-2014, 04:19 PM
Well I make them from time to time.I also use a glue stick & made my own
rolling rod from a wood dowel.The papers I use are women hair rolling papers
& a heck of a lot cheaper.Hair rolling paper are about $3 per 1000 & as thin as smoking paper.

Also there is no need to nitrate them.I have never had a problem.

Hope I helped Fly

Hickok
09-06-2014, 04:35 PM
Well I make them from time to time.I also use a glue stick & made my own
rolling rod from a wood dowel.The papers I use are women hair rolling papers
& a heck of a lot cheaper.Hair rolling paper are about $3 per 1000 & as thin as smoking paper.

Also there is no need to nitrate them.I have never had a problem.

Hope I helped Fly I totally agree. I have a Pedersoli Sharps Berdan and after trying about everything, and nitrating the papers, hair curling papers work great.

Charlie Hahn also has pre-made cardboard tubes for the Sharps which work nicely. Nitrating is not necessary.

If you want to nitrate the papers, get some "Stump Remover" from Home Depot. It is potassium nitrate.

drago9900
09-06-2014, 04:36 PM
Charlie Hahn makes thin card board tubes for them too, they work great too.

Nobade
09-06-2014, 09:53 PM
Yep, I have been making cartridges out of adding machine paper with hair curler paper on the ends. The flash goes right through it, and there's nothing left in the bore. I just thought the kit was kind of cool, had never seen one like it.

-Nobade

ThaDave
09-07-2014, 07:53 AM
I've used "tobacco" rolling papers for my BP .44 roll the paper around two round balls drop one out add 20-25 grains of powder and fold the ends shut. Made a block to carry them out of a 2x4 and would just go out and have a lot of fun with that back in the day.

doc1876
09-07-2014, 11:43 AM
I have heard of them, but never seen them. Good score.

bedbugbilly
09-07-2014, 03:53 PM
Years ago, a friend and I (we both shot NSSA together and C & B revolvers as well) got some nitrated papers from a Magic Supply Shop. If I remember correctly, they came in a packet about the size of cigarette papers. They worked pretty good but neither of our work/schedules allowed enough time to really play with them. A Magic Supply might be a source if you're looking for them.

Fly - thanks for the tip on the "hair rolling papers". Next time I get my haircut, I'll ask the girl that does it if I can "borrow" :-) a few sheets to try. I imagine they are available through any Beauty Supply.

starmac - you brought back some memories when you mentioned the Prince Albert cigarette rollers. I used to have one to "roll my own" cigarettes when I was in college - cheaper than store bought! Then I met my wife and she convinced me to stop smoking - one of the best things I've ever done!

All this talk about "rolling your own" makes me want to try the combustible cartridge thing again for my '51 Navy. There just seems to be so many things to accomplish and never enough time!

Fly
09-07-2014, 04:13 PM
I think l got mine at Wal-Mart but maybe not.You can get them off amazon for sure.

Fly

varsity07840
09-07-2014, 06:22 PM
Surgical paper tape works great for capping the ends of paper cartridges or Charlie's tubes. Unless you want to utilize the maximum powder capacity of your rifle's chamber, diameter wise, Charlie's tubes are the way to go, IMHO.

Duane

Fly
09-07-2014, 06:34 PM
I have a question about Charlie Hahns tube.I have never used them, so remember
I,m just asking.What is the advantage of his tube over a paper rolled charge??

Fly

Nobade
09-07-2014, 06:48 PM
I've been meaning to talk to Charlie and get some of his tubes. The chamber in my rifle holds 90 grains, so I could do well to reduce its capacity a bit. Loading loose powder, it's no problem to add some COW before the gunpowder but that's kind of a pain in paper cartridges.

Fly, the advantages of the tubes is they make pretty robust ammo which can be loaded into the rifle fast for skirmishing. Or carried in the field hunting. They also are pretty thick so reduce powder space a bit. They glue onto the back of a ringtail bullet, and make a nice little self contained cartridge.

-Nobade

Fly
09-07-2014, 08:26 PM
Can they be reused once shot?

Fly

Southron
09-07-2014, 10:10 PM
A N-SSA team member of mine shoots a Farmingdale Shiloh New Model 1859 Sharps in the Carbine Team Matches. He uses the cardboard tubes sold by Charlie Hahn. I make my Sharps cartridges out of Ladies Hair Curling papers and they work fantastic.

The only DOWNSIDE of the Hahn tubes is that when the Sharps is fired, the paper cartridge case is instantly converted into confetti and then exits the chamber thru the barrel and muzzle.

When the wind is right and we are on the firing line, blazing away in the rapid fire Carbine Team Matches, I end up with "Sharps Confetti" (otherwise known as the remnants of the Hahn Tubes) floating down on me.

The Sharps Confetti adds something of a "Festive Air" to the matches!

Fly
09-07-2014, 10:21 PM
Ya I make the same paper cartridge as you.I also have those tube loaders, that are very handy.
Fly

I'll Make Mine
09-13-2014, 09:58 AM
FWIW, the flash paper you get at magic shops isn't at all the same as nitrated paper made with potassium nitrate; flash paper is nitrocellulose; a) it's flammable enough to be a potential hazard (in that the slightest spark will ignite the entire cartridge), and b) it'll add energy to the load and might increase burn rate, which could affect accuracy (there's probably not enough "smokeless propellant" there to be a pressure accident hazard, but that's worth considering, too). Nitrated paper burns and provides a little energy, but it's in the same rate class as the black powder inside the cartridge...

I like the idea of using hair rolling paper for cartridges -- even double wide cigarette papers are a little small for something like a .58 rifle/musket cartridge, but the hair rolling papers ought to cover the territory (and cheap is always good, as long as it works well). For cartridges loaded the traditional way (tear cartridge, dump in powder, use cartridge paper as patch/wad behind ball), I don't know that there's an advantage to super-thin paper, though.

Texantothecore
09-26-2014, 09:33 AM
I use Sally Beauty Supply end papers. Your wife will know if there is a shop in your area. I thought that there were no shops in my area but it turns out that they are all over the place, I just had not noticed them.

They are also online.

Texantothecore
09-26-2014, 09:36 AM
The flash paper is produced by soaking paper in Nitric acid rather than kno3. A whole lot of trouble to make.

Nobade
09-26-2014, 10:52 AM
And it can be made to detonate under the right circumstances. Don't want to use it in rifle loads...

-Nobade

dondiego
09-26-2014, 10:59 AM
Paper bathed in nitric acid creates nitrocellulose which is a major component of smokeless powder.

Mr Peabody
09-28-2014, 10:59 AM
I got a Sharps carbine yesterday designed for the paper cartridges. What's a good book to read about making these cartridges?

Fly
09-29-2014, 05:42 PM
Man you will love that thing.What brand did you buy???

Fly

varsity07840
09-29-2014, 06:09 PM
I got a Sharps carbine yesterday designed for the paper cartridges. What's a good book to read about making these cartridges?

I don't know of any specific books but the forums for the N-SSA and Shiloh have loads of info.
www.n-ssa.org
www.shilohrifle.

Duane

Fly
09-29-2014, 06:39 PM
It,s easy 1/2 inch wood dowel A stick of glue & hair rolling papers & bullet.
Run the glue stick down the edge of paper.Roll the bullet & wood dowel
under the paper & seal the glued edge.Pour amount of powder in sealed
open end of paper & twist close.

Stick with me & you will be wearing jewels, Fly

Mr Peabody
10-01-2014, 10:53 PM
Fly, it sounds too easy. I got an IAB that I haven't seen before. It's got the 1852 patent on it. Very nice wood and finish with no patch box in the butt stock. A wide butt and nicely fitted butt plate. I took it apart and lubed up the screws and brushed off what little trash was left from some one shooting and cleaning it. The bore is great, not much for marks on it any where. What is the proper weight boolit? Do I want a ringtail? Neat gun I've watched out for a few years now.