PDA

View Full Version : Gas check problem .512

JakeLeg
09-06-2014, 09:00 AM
I'm having trouble with my gas checks falling off my Mihec .512 mold I bought. I ordered gator 512 long checks from blammer and am using a Rcbs lubesizer with Rcbs lube.I measure my shank as .466 on the bullets I'm casting. What am I doing wrong,this is my first time sizing with my own equipment so it hard telling. After searching this site,should I lap my mold shank a little,though it is throwing the correct size like it should? Would anneling the checks help? or do you think the short checks are needed? I have two batches of bullets I cast out of ww and ww + linotype both measure .466 and checks just stick to a little dab of lube in the sizer and never stay on. Thanks

n.h.schmidt
09-06-2014, 06:00 PM
What is the i.d. of your gas checks? How thick is the check at the top edge? What size is your sizing die?
Many of us have resorted to glueing the checks on before sizing.This works but is tedious. I use cheap super glue .Just a little put on the inside edge of the check and put on with a twist.Set aside to harden.
Also when removing the bullet from your die ,don't pull straight up.Instead rock the bullet back and then remove.
n.h.schmidt

JakeLeg
09-07-2014, 04:58 AM
Best I could measure was the gas check itself measure .466 to .465 so that's probably the problem.I heated 6 gas checks and cooled down in a water quench and they stayed on,not real tight but seemed to stay and I got them loaded alright. My sizing die is an Rcbs .512 . And I didn't check the thickness of the top edge.

n.h.schmidt
09-07-2014, 08:17 AM
If the die is .512 and the od of the gas check is also .512 as is. Then there is no sizing going on with the check. There is no inward movement going on to crimp the check on. As least the heating has helped some.
n.h.schmidt

tchepone
09-10-2014, 10:01 AM
JakeLeg:

Sorry, I misread your post. You are looking for ready made checks. Ned Schmidt should be able to help you out, or try:

www.vulcanchecks.com (http://www.vulcanchecks.com/)

truckerjosh9039@gmail.com
(truckerjosh9039@gmail.com)

.512" final sized diameter - minus the .466" bullet shank - divided by 2 = .023". You need a material thickness of .024" for your checks. I have 3 coils of .024" x 3/4" width x 38' length, in stock. Contact coilandfoil@btinternet.com for details.
Not sure what type of tool you have for making the checks, if it is a Freechex my material will work. If it is a Checkmaker it requires a width of .695". I do not have any .024" x .695" in stock at present.
I do have coils of .020" x .695", which may or may not work.
I have some free samples of various thickness's but would need to know the type of tool you use and a mailing address. You can also PM me for further info.....G

Forgetful
09-11-2014, 11:29 AM
You can tighten the shank into the GC by lapping the mold. Pour up some rounds, drill the base of those rounds and install a hex screw. Get some lapping compound, apply to shank, lube the rest of the bullet lightly, put in mold, close mold on it, and turn the screw to open up the shank gently. You can get an extra 1 or 2 mils by doing this. There are some detailed lapping methods elsewhere on this site.