PDA

View Full Version : worn out barrel... replace or sleeve?

OKSaddletramp
09-05-2014, 07:31 PM
I'm thinking of re-chambering a worn out .30-30 to .25-35. Would it be possible to ream out / sleeve the original barrel? would it make economical sense versus just getting a .25 caliber blank and making a new barrel? It would be going on an older (early to mid '80s) Winchester 94.

Multigunner
09-06-2014, 12:32 PM
Winchester markets a "Trails End" reissue of the Mod 94 in .25-35. Perhaps you could order a new production replacement barrel, which would probably be cheaper than making a barrel from a blank or sleeving the old barrel.

M-Tecs
09-06-2014, 02:07 PM
John Taylor, Taylor Machine, gunsmith on this forum does this type of work. PM him for options.

I believe both of these also do relining.

Norm Johnson
High Plains Reboring & Barrels. L.L.C.
243 14th Ave N.W.
Turtle Lake, ND 58575
[701]448-9188
nrjonsn@westriv.com (nrjonsn@westriv.com)

and
http://www.deltagunshop.com/clearwater_reboring/index.html

I do have to ask how many rounds fired?

OKSaddletramp
09-07-2014, 01:15 PM
Winchester markets a "Trails End" reissue of the Mod 94 in .25-35. Perhaps you could order a new production replacement barrel, which would probably be cheaper than making a barrel from a blank or sleeving the old barrel.

Was not aware of the re-iossue. Will have to look into it. For sure an easier solution than what I have in mind.

OKSaddletramp
09-07-2014, 01:18 PM
John Taylor, Taylor Machine, gunsmith on this forum does this type of work. PM him for options.

I believe both of these also do relining.

Norm Johnson
High Plains Reboring & Barrels. L.L.C.
243 14th Ave N.W.
Turtle Lake, ND 58575
[701]448-9188
nrjonsn@westriv.com (nrjonsn@westriv.com)

and
http://www.deltagunshop.com/clearwater_reboring/index.html

I do have to ask how many rounds fired?

Will look into these, too.

As far as rounds fired... By me, none. The previous owner probably put thousands through it, all J-words. My local gunsmith advised me to replace the barrel.

HeavyMetal
09-07-2014, 04:02 PM
The only upside of sleeving the original barrel is in keeping the original markings and caliber intact, once you change the caliber the rifle must be marked with the new chambering.

I'd get serious about the barrel availability of the re issue 25-35.

Be careful where this goes it is real easy to have more money in a project like this than the rifle will ever be worth, LOL!

Next option would be either a new 30-30 or 32 Special barrel, maybe a rifle length 7mm Waters barrel (?), not sure if you can make the 32-40 work with out a lot of fiddling the others I mention are all based on the 30-30 case so feeding shouldn't be an issue.

M-Tecs
09-07-2014, 04:27 PM
Unless there is something unsafe about the barrel I would give it a good copper cleaning and shoot it to see how it performs. A modern 30/30 with jackets should go 6,000 to 8,000 rounds with jackets before you see any issues.

johnson1942
09-24-2014, 10:59 PM
their might be excess build up of carbon or carbon like material built up just in front of the bullet in the case, in back of the barrel. this can cause undersizeing of bullets and then bad accracy. as suggested a really good cleaning is in order. also i like to read what the smokeless paperpatching guys are doing also and a lot of those guys can take a barrel that seems bad and turn it into a tack driver. you might want to post on how do i get my barrel shooting again post up their. they have a lot of knowledge. again check the breech end, it may be undersizeing bullets.