PDA

View Full Version : Leaking door...homeowners insurance

SeabeeMan
09-05-2014, 07:21 PM
In the crazy storms we had, I found a slow drip coming out the bottom of my breaker panel. I traced it back and, long story short, there has been water coming in through the sill of the sliding glass door that goes out to our elevated deck for quite some time. About a foot circle of rot straight through the subfloor with the help of some carpenter ants, but no sign of any recent activity of these guys.

Definitely needs that chunk of subfloor replaced, and we have had carpet on our list for a while so that isn't a big deal. The problem is that the Marvin door, which is out of warranty, may have a rotted frame at that point. I have a call in to my WEA Homeowners insurance and they are going to get an adjuster out to help determine if it is covered. The agent said in his last message that it is going to come down to whether or not this was a single incident of water entrance or a prolonged leak that caused damage over the time. Obviously this is the later.

I've read my policy and am less clear than before I started as to which way is covered. Is a single event not covered as that would be tantamount to a flood and I'm good to go, or is a long-term leak not covered as that is something along the lines of poor installation/maintenance? I can fix this myself if it isn't covered and it won't be the end of the world, but it would be nice to have some idea of which way this might go before Monday.

Sweetpea
09-05-2014, 07:55 PM
I would guess that the long term problem would not be covered.

Whatever you do, make sure that the door gets installed with the proper flashing and sealant.

I can't begin to tell you how many I have replaced that had nothing under them!

SeabeeMan
09-05-2014, 08:09 PM
I'm sure it wasn't flashed right. No matter what it is going back in with a SureSill and self adhesive flashing.

Charley
09-05-2014, 10:01 PM
Wife spent 40 years in the insurance business, homeowner's and windstorm, and general. Her opinion is it will boil down to a maintenance issue, and probably won't be covered.

starmac
09-06-2014, 01:35 PM
It is an insurance company, they will tell you which is covered after they inspect it and decide which way to go.

shooter93
09-06-2014, 04:57 PM
Could be the sill flashing or even water coming down the sides of the frame behind the siding. I fixed one recently that had no head flashing and it only showed up at the sill. You may be able to get a new sill, frame or whatever you need from Marvin.....as far as the insurance....I'm betting they call it a long term leak....poor maintenance etc. and not pay. Seems most of them are collection agencies not insurance companies...lol. Good luck though.

lavenatti
09-08-2014, 03:18 PM
Had a friend with a similar problem. Insurance company called it neglect (in his case it was) and paid him nothing.