PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Abilene

snowwolfe
09-05-2014, 05:25 PM
My wife was offered a DOD job in Abilene Texas. We are leaning towards accepting it but would like to learn more about the area. We do realize summers get pretty hot but we will only be spending one or two summers there before she retires and we move to our property in Tennessee. Cost of living seems a little less than Colorado and no state income tax which is a plus. One of my friends lives in west Texas so I already have an open invitation to hunt deer and pigs anytime I want (deer being in season of course).

What is the general opinion of the Abilene area? Any good shooting ranges close? Any and all comments are appreciated.

onceabull
09-05-2014, 05:52 PM
On my personal scale, where Alpine, Kerrville,and Hunt,Tx are all 95 +, Abilene is a 55... Fire at will---:twisted: -- Onceabull

wcp4570
09-05-2014, 10:48 PM
Abilene was my last duty assignment before retiring from the USAF. Abilene is in the middle of nowhere. Dyess AFB is a major Air Force Base there, they have 3 Universities (all church supported), 2 good size hospitals, a regional air port, 2 local lakes and others within reasonable driving distance, one shooting range near Fort Phantom Lake about 5 or 6 miles outside of town, and many churches. Hunting is good around the area if you can afford a lease. We lived there 4 years and enjoyed our stay there, hunted, fished and camped as often as we could. It has been 25 years since we left and things probably have changed, maybe someone will chime in with more current information for you. Hope this helps.

wcp

TXGunNut
09-05-2014, 10:51 PM
I'd spend a few days there before making a decision.

LUBEDUDE
09-06-2014, 11:18 AM
I go to Abilene once a year for matches. I used to go a lot for family business. Yeah, it is extra hot in the summer with hot winds. I don't remember any cool wind. At least Abilene has some trees! Unlike a huge part of West Texas.

There's military near by, 3 colleges, oil and gas, and lots of agriculture.

I will tell you this, some of the friendliest most down home folk you'll ever come across.

Probably by the time you get adjusted to the place, it will be time to move to TN.

DLCTEX
09-06-2014, 12:54 PM
Sounds like home to me.:mrgreen:

DeanWinchester
09-06-2014, 01:20 PM
The stars at night are big and bright......

wcp4570
09-06-2014, 02:10 PM
Yea I agree with lubedude, people there are very friendly. I believe it's because a large percentage of the population are believers and attend church regularly. It does make a difference.

wcp

snowwolfe
09-06-2014, 04:06 PM
We currently live in Colorado and can't stand it. The only thing nice I can say about it is the climate but this state on average contains the most unfriendly people we ever experienced in our lives. Even my attempts to say hello to people I see on the walking trails largely go ignored.
Only drove though Albilene once but we can live anywhere for the next 18 months before moving to Tennessee and in my limited travels to different parts of Texas I always find the people to be friendly.
Was hoping to gain insight into the shooting opportunities around Abilene.

LUBEDUDE
09-06-2014, 07:02 PM
As Wcp4570 stated, there is a range out by the lake on the East side of town. It's not too far from the Interstate and Cracker Barrel.

That area (Abilene/West TX) is good to hunt Dove and a Deer. You should have no problem finding a lease. Between the fire ants and a Bobcats, quail which once flourished is now sparse.

Since there is lots of farmland and open country you may be able to strike a deal and build your own range.

Recluse
09-06-2014, 08:09 PM
Yea I agree with lubedude, people there are very friendly. I believe it's because a large percentage of the population are believers and attend church regularly. It does make a difference.

wcp

Taylor County (where Abilene is located) is the most conservative county in Texas. Down home values, low crime for a metro-statistical area, extremely friendly (typical West Texas) and the cost of living is probably among the lowest in the state.

As far as shooting? There are endless dry river gulches washouts in a thirty-mile radius and I've never had a landowner ever tell me "no" to taking my guns out and dispatching rattlesnakes, crows, coyotes and other varmints.

To the southeast lies Coleman County, once considered the wild turkey capital of the entire southwest. There is some fantastic hunting in Coleman County, and Lake Coleman, a small-ish 2300 acre lake, used to have other-worldly awesome striper fishing.

Some of the world's absolute best BBQ and steaks are found in that area of Texas, with Abilene being square in the middle. The small towns around Abilene like Coleman and Buffalo Gap have family-owned restaurants that serve steaks and ham that never saw a USDA stamp ever. Solid range-grazed beef that is slaughtered, processed and grilled without the "aid" of dyes or government inspectors or hormones or any other nonsense.

If you're looking for a party town, Abilene ain't it. If you're looking for a town with lots of strip joints, several active outlaw motorcycle gangs and swingers clubs, Abilene ain't it.

If you're looking for one of the most gun-friendly, patriotic, true-to-Texas locales in the southwest, Abilene isn't a bad place to start.

:coffee:

snowwolfe
09-06-2014, 09:06 PM
Sounds like my type of town!