PDA

View Full Version : New life for used equipment

troyboy
09-04-2014, 07:19 PM
I loaded some 44mag last night and started thinking about the equipment being used. The boolits cast were from a single cavity Lyman 429244. The checks used were Ideal. The dies were steel RCBS. The scale was a Lyman/Ohaus D5. The case mouth expander was a Lee. The powder measure was a Lyman 55. Powder was Hercules 2400. Primers were CCI 300. Press was a Lee classic cast. Now none of this is very unusual except for the fact,everything came from deceased reloaders except the press and universal expander. These 3 gentlemens legacy lived on every time a round was loaded last night. It is an honor to care for these tools. God Speed old friends rest in peace.

catgunguy
09-04-2014, 07:24 PM
Very nice story. Thanks. It is a good thing that our tools can live beyond us.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-04-2014, 09:01 PM
It always rocks to have a connection to the past and the men who have gone before us.

Wayne Smith
09-05-2014, 08:03 AM
I load on a Brown Bair and a Hollywood Sr. and a TrueLine Jr. I'm not the original owner of any of them! I use a B&M powder measure and a little Bair pistol powder measure or the Pacific Pistol Powder Measure. Again, not the original owner of any of it.

LUBEDUDE
09-05-2014, 10:33 AM
I hope my girls will be able to recoup the money invested in my old school addiction.

And I hope by then that our beloved gubmint has not smashed all reloading equipment into plows.

seagiant
09-05-2014, 11:05 AM
I hope my girls will be able to recoup the money invested in my old school addiction.

And I hope by then that our beloved gubmint has not smashed all reloading equipment into plows.

Hi,
+1 Lube!

LUBEDUDE
09-05-2014, 02:04 PM
Hey SG, she looks like quite a shot!

seagiant
09-05-2014, 03:32 PM
Hi,
Nothing more deadly than a farm kid with an accurate rifle! Trying to figure what kind of rifle shes got? Rem. .22LR ???

cheese1566
09-05-2014, 07:34 PM
Good times!
Keep it going...
These items will last for generations if maintained and cared for. If you find a neglected piece, refurb it and put it back into action.

Sometimes, older stuff has better quality and craftsmanship; they dont make stuff like they used too.

Garyshome
09-05-2014, 11:09 PM
Yes what about that old toilet?

country gent
09-05-2014, 11:27 PM
Some of my most cheriashed equipment isnt my best but it was given to me by old friends ( many of whom are now gone). I always remember them when I use that equipment and think of them. I have rebuilt old presses and other equipment for friends made some from scratch. I made a case trimmer for a friend. Its set up similar to a wislon but bigger to accomadter his arthritis and poor grip. His son always tells me How much Dad like the trimmer I made him when he sees me in town. We made several of them ( was one of the projects when we were learning the first cnc lathe and mill when they came in. Didnt want to risk scraping company parts. LOL). For sure when you see that tired old worn out press rebuild it and bring it back to use.

LUBEDUDE
09-06-2014, 10:27 AM
Hi,
Nothing more deadly than a farm kid with an accurate rifle! Trying to figure what kind of rifle shes got? Rem. .22LR ???

Hey SG, you may be correct, that looks a lot like my first rifle! Handed down from my big brother.

hornetman
09-07-2014, 02:51 PM
Thanks for posting this. I have many guns , pieces of reloading equipment and shooting gear that belonged to my father, uncle and many friends who have "left the range". Using them always brings back warm memories of pleasant days afield, loading ammo, or just shooting the bull. Glad to see that others feel the same way.

W.R.Buchanan
09-07-2014, 04:26 PM
The thing about metal is that if it is taken care of it's life span is "indefinite."

My Mauser .22 was made in 1929. Don't know who had it before me but I've had it since 1968. My Springfield M2 was made in 1935. I have some idea who had it before me.

Both of these guns are in very nice condition and will be that way as long as I have them. They will easily outlast me, and who ever gets them after me could easily take them into the next Century just by taking care of them,, even if it is nothing more than keeping them in a dry closet.

I went to a Car Show yesterday. There were a lot of very cool cars there from a 1914 Model T to a new C7 Vette Roadster. The T was in better than new condition and had obviously been restored, and probably more than once, but the point is it will be alive for along time since now it has passed into hands that will care for it forever.

Care is most important thing. However some things just don't go away easily.

I have never seen "worn out" reloading tool of any kind. I have seen some neglected tools, and most times they can be resurrected with a wire wheel and some elbow grease and maybe a paint job.

None of this is hard and I encourage everyone to try restoring something. It is very rewarding.

I am currently working on an Enfield #4 Mk1, and whereas it is not going back to original,,, it will be going back to very usable. This gun, as well as all of my guns, will outlast me, and so will my Reloading equipment, and all of my accessories, and the machines in my shop, and my scratch built Jeep!

These are all things that were built to last, and mostly made of metal,,, and took a significant amount skill to make.

Things like this have no life span as long as they are taken care of. Too bad we aren't made the same way. The only thing that won't outlast me,,, is my Body!

I have serious issues with some of the design points of the Human Body. The spine and the teeth are at the top of my list, but the rectum is coming up fast!

Randy

LUBEDUDE
09-07-2014, 10:38 PM
Very well said Randy. I must say that I agree on all points.

As far as your body, just try to stay out of the hospital. It's the most dangerous place you can be. Just ask your doctor!

seagiant
09-08-2014, 10:53 AM
Hi,
Life is funny! I go to Dentist and have teeth cleaned,teeth pulled,ect,ect. Always get an older lady, no young good looking ones,ok no problem I'm not there for love.

Then I had to have a colonoscopy I'm already a little embarrassed and who walks in but Miss Penthouse Pet of the Century! No kiddin! It was surreal!:veryconfu

troyboy
09-08-2014, 11:17 AM
That picture is from Blink 182 album enemy of the state. The model is Janine James aka Janine Lindemulder. Vivid girl who married and devorced Jesse James

BruceB
09-08-2014, 12:25 PM
When I still lived in the Northwest Territories, I had a VERY attractive lady dentist.

She had an interesting way of working. When ready to start work, she'd sit down on a chair BESIDE the patient and wrap her left arm around his neck, allowing the left hand easy access to his mouth at the same time that the right hand was also free to do whatever was needed.

The side benefit (to the male patients) was that her left.....bosom.... was pushed into firm contact with the patient's right ear. It stayed there until the procedure was over.

Maybe I'm too easily distracted, but it made the whole experience MUCH nicer.... and then there was the little smile I always got when leaving thew office.

TNsailorman
09-08-2014, 04:52 PM
Bruce, I bet you never felt any pain.

LUBEDUDE
09-09-2014, 02:05 PM
Hi,
Life is funny! I go to Dentist and have teeth cleaned,teeth pulled,ect,ect. Always get an older lady, no young good looking ones,ok no problem I'm not there for love.

Then I had to have a colonoscopy I'm already a little embarrassed and who walks in but Miss Penthouse Pet of the Century! No kiddin! It was surreal!:veryconfu

Haha! Sounds like my great luck!

Sghinds
09-09-2014, 02:54 PM
I load on quite a bit of my late fathers stuff, brings back memories when I was a kid pulling the handle with him. I even have my kids doing the same with me. Keeping the tradition going.

seagiant
09-09-2014, 04:32 PM
I load on quite a bit of my late fathers stuff, brings back memories when I was a kid pulling the handle with him. I even have my kids doing the same with me. Keeping the tradition going.

Hi,
Sorry,got side tracked! If we don't take the time and teach kids the lifestyle we HAVE failed!

I'm the poster child for keeping the old equipment going and have a few around here with me. There is nothing like reloading on 50 year old equipment!

Sghinds
09-09-2014, 04:40 PM
Hi,
Sorry,got side tracked! If we don't take the time and teach kids the lifestyle we HAVE failed!

I'm the poster child for keeping the old equipment going and have a few around here with me. There is nothing like reloading on 50 year old equipment!

I am hoping I can get at least one of mine to hunt with me. My oldest (girl) seems to be on the sensitive side and may not take to killing an animal just yet. I know my younger girl probably will.

seagiant
09-09-2014, 05:09 PM
I am hoping I can get at least one of mine to hunt with me. My oldest (girl) seems to be on the sensitive side and may not take to killing an animal just yet. I know my younger girl probably will.

Hi,
I don't hunt anymore,though grew up that way. I chose to mentor my nephew shooting trap and skeet,rifles and pistols. Never hunted. He was only getting time with his mother and grandmother and no real input from a man, as his father was in another state (divorce).

He is married now and living his own life, but has guns and knows how to use them if need be. I like to think I gave him that option anyway!

claudesapp
09-10-2014, 12:15 AM
My favorite guns to shoot are those that belonged to men since passed, my Dad included. Once I was out of town, my wife called and said a wildfire was sweeping toward out house what did she want me to grab? Photos of course, and Dad's guns and cameras - that's it.

There is nothing better than shooting your late Dad's Smith and Wesson revolver.

Ken in Iowa
09-10-2014, 07:06 AM
Great thread!

I have helped several old timers dispose of guns and gear. The case trimmer that I use came from the fellow who ran the junior club when I was a wee lad. My 308 dies were Dads. I use a 310 tool to prime 30-40 cases.

One old boy sold me his gunpowder leftovers. 20 cans of misc. powder for $20. I still am using some of it that is 40 years old including HyVel #2

Another sold me thousands of cast boolits. I shot some on Sunday, then found out that he died just last week.

EDG
09-13-2014, 12:21 AM
I had a friend die about 5 years ago - he was only 45. His family gave me most of his reloading stuff.
Some of it was duplicates of things I already own so I am giving my stuff to my brother and keeping John's for my own use.
It is sometimes bittersweet to remember him when I am shooting or reloading.