PDA

View Full Version : Henry Big Boy in 357/38

Lefty Red
09-04-2014, 06:20 PM
Was out looking at lever actions this weekend and came upon a deal I couldn't pass up. :).

I just got it home today and put a Skinner Sight on it. Shooting it tomorrow.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/04/c63deb38eb2e0b67e8103007fcbc5b5b.jpg

DeanWinchester
09-04-2014, 06:24 PM
Henry rifles are one of the few bargains left in our world. The fit and finish are way above the price. Their service is great too.

I just wish they had a side loading gate. I'm not a fan of the front stuffer tube magazine.

You got a darn fine rifle though. Very nice. Post a picture in a few years after that brass turns a bit and gets a little patina on it. Then it'll REALLY be fine looking rifle.

Firebricker
09-07-2014, 11:40 AM
Yep if the would start putting a loading gate (Kings improvement I believe) on them I would already have a couple. They are still beautiful rifles though congratulations ! FB

Tradhunter
09-07-2014, 12:40 PM
Very nice and built like a tank.

BruceB
09-07-2014, 01:34 PM
Yep if the would start putting a loading gate (Kings improvement I believe) on them I would already have a couple. FB

You could get an argument on that.

After the umpteenth time of pinched fingers, broken nails, etc etc, SOME of us don't consider "King's Improvement" to be any improvement at all.

NVCurmudgeon just bought a Henry .45-70, and we both agree that the loading slot in the magazine tube is an "improvement" over the "Improvement". Of course, we're both "old" riflemen (REALLY old) with decades of lever-gun use behind us and quite a few still in our racks.... so what do we know?

We definitely are impressed with the rifles Henry is producing.

starmac
09-07-2014, 01:57 PM
I don't see a problem with the loading design. I think some people just equate it with a 22 and it somehow bugs them. I don't have a henry, but sure wouldn't turn my nose up at one because of this feature, unless it somehow affects the point of aim. lol

UNIQUEDOT
09-07-2014, 02:28 PM
The loading gate isn't that big a deal for us today, but the loading gate was designed so that the rifleman could load his rifle on moving horseback. Try that with one of these henry wannabes and you'll quickly see why it was desirable. I still won't consider one as the traditional feature is a must for me. I have owned several Henry rifles though all rimfires and the goldenboy was a nice rifle, but I sold it due to the frame being aluminum. Two of the rifles had defective rifling and one was sent back and returned to me worse than it was originally.

BruceB
09-07-2014, 04:35 PM
[QUOTE=UNIQUEDOT;2922416]The loading gate isn't that big a deal for us today, but the loading gate was designed so that the rifleman could load his rifle on moving horseback. QUOTE

Absolutely correct.

Also, if one was hunkered down behind a rock and trying to reload, the loading-gate method is FAR superior.

This is the precise reason (or one of them) that the Krag rifle wasn't more successful as a military arm. It depends on GRAVITY for reloading. Mausers, Enfields etc may be loaded with stripper clips, even if the rifle is upside down. Try that with a Krag (or a present-production Henry, for that matter. it MIGHT be possible, but for certain-sure it's slow and awkward).

Even so, in today's climate, I prefer the mag-tube loading. If the Sioux should rise again, I might regret saying that.... but now I have an M1A and FAL to do the work.

warboar_21
09-07-2014, 05:38 PM
My next Lever will be a Henry. I have already made up my mind about that. The .357 is attractive to me since the wife prefers shooting my Model 66. I would love to have one in 45-70 though. Maybe buy one for the wife and one for myself.

The loading gate vs. loading the tube doesn't bother me a bit. I have been loading my Marlin model 60 with a tube since I was 8 years old.

DeanWinchester
09-07-2014, 05:57 PM
I've hated a tube [loaded] magazine since a mishap (my fault) at the range several years ago. Just got the tube loaded, after range was JUST called hot. Pushing the tube in, it slipped through my butter fingers and launched itself out on the range. I got the pleasure of sitting there single shotting the stupid thing for an entire relay till they called clear again and I could retrieve it. I've been unjustifiably biased against them since then.

Firebricker
09-07-2014, 06:52 PM
Bruce, You make a good point there I think we would all know I would be lying if I said I never pinched a finger a time or two lol. It comes down to personal preference like on a lot of things. My chances of needing to reload my lever gun on horse back are about the same as winning the lottery(don't have a horse or buy tickets) I still love the loading gate. Bruce not to hijack the thread but do you prefer straight or pistol grip stocks on lever actions? FB

Lefty Red
09-08-2014, 12:19 AM
I have to say the tube feed doesn't bother me. If I ever have to use it for apartment defense, I am using the ten in the Henry and five in my 642 to get to my G19 and .223! :)

But its a sweet shooting rifle. It ate up my 158gr 38 loads and grouped well at 50 yards. Loading up some 357 loads and heading out to the range tomorrow and taking it out to the 100 yard targets. Pictures to follow.

Jerry

pirkfan
09-08-2014, 01:09 AM
The loading tube does have the advantage of being able to unload the firearm without jacking all the shells through the chamber. I always wondered how the Rifleman (Chuck Conners variety) unloaded that weapon. Did he remove the trigger activation screw?

BruceB
09-08-2014, 03:05 AM
Straight or pistol-grip???

Dagnabit, why don't you ask me an EASY one?

The only two lever rifles I own right now are a M64 Winchester in .32 Special, and a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. Both have pistol-grip stocks, so on the face of it, it seems like my taste runs to the PG.

Trouble is, when I look at the various models that come with straight stocks..... I think the Marlins look nicer with straight stocks, and the Winchesters are prettier with pistol grips. I'm not trying to dodge the question, but you made me think about this.... those Marlin Marauders andTexans just really appeal to me... straight stocks!

But.... if there's a handsomer lever rifle than a Model 64 with half-magazine and that pistol grip, I'll be jiggered if I know what it is.

Answer to the question: I DON'T KNOW!!!!

UNIQUEDOT
09-08-2014, 07:34 AM
The tube does have the advantage of being able to unload the firearm without jacking all the shells through the chamber

True and rossi has one that can be loaded/unloaded either way. I patiently awaited the release of the big boy, but when I saw they did away with the loading gate I said "no way!". The prototype henry had the gate and was an extremely good looking rifle.

Lefty Red
09-09-2014, 12:40 AM
Took my BB out again and made a couple of discoveries.....

1) I can't push THESE casted bullets I have that fast! Got to keep them in the 1100-1200 fps range if I don't want to pull curly pieces of alloy out of barrel. But my LEE 385-158-RF mold just got here today so will cast up some with my hardball alloy and shoot them unsized. These bullets I bought are a tad small I do believe. Might just leave them for pistol practice. But If I can tame them, I will use them for 50 yard practice.

2)It loves the 158 XTP and Speer Gold Dots over a heavy charge of 2400 and 296! I lucked out, just loaded up five of each in four different powder charges and the ones just below max worked the best.

3) I don't know if I am all in with the Skinner Sight. I think its a great sight, but I really did better with the stock semi buckhorn rear. I am not retiring it just yet. Midway is shipping me a "regular" Marble's rear sight and a FO front sight. Yeah, I know it may not look the "rightest" on the BB but I lost the gold and the ivory front bead during tonight's evening shoot. If I can't see it when I hunt, I don't care how period correct it is! Besides, its not like I am mounting a tactical light and laser on it. :)

4) Its not liking the SWC when loaded in the 357 cases. I can get them to cycle perfect in 38 cases.

5) It did cycle the 148gr WC in 38 cases! Surprised me, but might just spit them out tomorrow so not getting to excited yet til it feeds them again.

6) 148gr HBWS loaded HB out makes big SPLASH on gallon water jugs at 25 yards! LOL

All in all it was a fun time. My hunting round, 158 XTP is working out pretty good at 100 yards. And when I get the casted bullets I have tamed down or cast proper sizes ones running right, I will have my 50 yard practice round. Hoping the new set of sights or a combination of them and the Skinner works out.

Jerry

Lefty Red
09-09-2014, 12:42 AM
Oh, and no recoil! Shoulder never felt so good after 200 rounds of shooting a centerfire!

Lefty Red
09-09-2014, 08:29 PM
Quick note.....

1) Trail Boss is awesome! A full charge under a 158gr SWC in a 38 Special case groups wonderfully and with no leading. And its POI is same as the XTP/Gold Dots at 100 hundred yards.

2) Rifle is heading back to Henry. :(
Was having problems feeding and ejecting SWC bullets, then all 38s, and then even the 357 cases were hanging up. Wasn't wanting to eject the brass and double feeding. So took it to the gun shop and it did the same for them. They called Henry while I was there and was told to sent it in. So Henry will fix it and I should have a slicker rifle in a few days. :) I had bought the rifle used and felt it didn't cycle as smoothly as my friend's. I figured it was never shot much. But there is a problem and Henry is taking care of it. Can't ask for more.

3) I wish I never heard of Gold Dots! They out group my XTPs 2:1! Well I can use the XTPs for practice I guess. LOL

4) Skinner Sight is staying! The FO front sight is amazing! Groups tightened up. I need the .530" tall sight, the .400" is grouping everything about 4-5" high even with the SS on its lowest setting.

Jerry

terk
09-10-2014, 09:13 AM
The .357 BB is a real fun gun.

I tested hundreds of handload rounds over the first few months after I got mine last year. The XTPs (both 125 and 158) over H110 were the most accurate high velocity round. Lead, including gas checked, was okay but only if I kept the velocity/pressure low.

But a real fun and inexpensive target or plinking round to try is the plated (I used Xtreme and RMR) over AA5, HP-38, or 2400. During the .22 rimfire drought this was my go-to gun and ammo combo.

John Allen
09-10-2014, 10:35 AM
That sight looks great on the gun. I have a 30/30 winchester centennial that I have been debating putting this sight on myself.

snowwolfe
09-10-2014, 01:09 PM
Bought my first Henry about 6 months ago and now own two more
45/70
22 mag with octagon barrel
22 LR with octagon barrel

They are much smoother than any comparable Marlin as I owned several in the past. Mostly I been playing with the 22 LR and with Blazer ammo it will shoot 1 inch or better at 50 yards.

Lefty Red
09-10-2014, 02:40 PM
That sight looks great on the gun. I have a 30/30 winchester centennial that I have been debating putting this sight on myself.

Well worth! Looks great on every rifle I have seen them on.

Lefty Red
09-10-2014, 02:42 PM
Bought my first Henry about 6 months ago and now own two more
45/70
22 mag with octagon barrel
22 LR with octagon barrel

They are much smoother than any comparable Marlin as I owned several in the past. Mostly I been playing with the 22 LR and with Blazer ammo it will shoot 1 inch or better at 50 yards.

I am wanting a Big Boy in 45LC! Thinking of putting half down on one and putting it layaway if the OT keeps up.
Jerry

Hannibal
09-19-2014, 08:37 AM
I have a BB in .357 I bought earlier this year. I absolutely love it. As soon as I come up with the funds, I'll be adding a 45-70.