PDA

View Full Version : Strange 550B problem...Solved

Forester
01-30-2008, 09:59 PM
Just a heads up for anyone loading on a progressive to remember to pay attention to everything happening on your press.

I had finished about 3 rounds when I noticed an unusually full case after dumping the powder at station 2 on my 550. I stopped and pulled all the loaded rounds and found very wide variations in how much powder was in each case, anywhere from 2.5 to 7.5 grains (measure set at 4.5gr). after pulling the questionable stuff I started dumping and measuring loads and was seeing big differences so I pulled the powder measure off to try and find the problem. The culprit? A 0@&^ spider decided to build a little nest inside the powder funnel. I had just loaded on this press 2 days earlier but I guess the thing didn't need long to build his home. A shot from the air compressor cleared the web and gave the spider a free flying lesson, problem solved.

Nueces
01-30-2008, 10:44 PM
The itsy bitsy spider went up the powder spout
Out came the air, and blew the spider out…

runfiverun
01-30-2008, 10:48 PM
thats not funny
had that happen on my redding turned it over to check
spent half an hour cleaning up
then turned it over again....

standles
01-31-2008, 12:14 AM
Can we say Dirt Dobber :)

Navahojoe
01-31-2008, 12:20 PM
Had the same thing happen, {spider web,nest,} in a 70 hp outboard motor. It seemed that the water pump was not working. I pulled the boat out of the water, drove 45 miles home, hooked up water hose ear muffs to water intake on outboard motor and blew mr spidey and his web nest out. Needless to say, the water pump started working. It cost me a day of fishing and a lot of angish on the way home.
PITA!
regards,
NavahoJoe

94Doug
01-31-2008, 12:40 PM
You should have seen the mice nests we used to find in snowmobiles..... while stored in the Summer, the little buggers would crawl up the exaust, make nests in the Carb intake boxes, and pack the engine full of food. Lots of fun..... the only way to get the nest out of an exaust tuner... torch. Yeee-uch.

MT Gianni
01-31-2008, 03:20 PM
You should have seen the mice nests we used to find in snowmobiles..... while stored in the Summer, the little buggers would crawl up the exaust, make nests in the Carb intake boxes, and pack the engine full of food. Lots of fun..... the only way to get the nest out of an exaust tuner... torch. Yeee-uch.

If you live in a hantavirus area a 10% bleach to 90% water solution in a spray bottle is suppossed to kill it. Spray it down and wait 2 minutes before tackleing field mice nests. Gianni

44man
01-31-2008, 07:35 PM
The neighbor woman has mice that love her gas lines and wire harnesses.

FISH4BUGS
02-01-2008, 07:32 PM
I bought the true "little old lady's Mercedes" three years ago....1987 300 diesel with only 100,000 miles on it....never saw a snowflake until I bought it. It ran like crap but I couldn't pass it up (I have been driving Mercedes diesels for 25 years - I put 50,000 miles a year on my car so they pay off in the long run).
Every year they would put the car in the heated garage in October and returned in April from Florida every year since they bought it new.
My mechanic took off the air intake and discovered a series of mouse nests in the air filter.....no wonder it ran like crap. Those crafty little mice...........