PDA

View Full Version : sling advice

bogger01
09-04-2014, 05:45 PM
hey guys.i just bought my first rolling block.it's a pedersoli in 45-70 with a 30 inch barrel.I will be using this for mostly hunting and target but no matches as of now.i've been shooting highpower service rifle matches where we use a sling and I was wondering if any of you use a sling with a single shot?if so,how are you mounting it to the rifle and are there any downfalls in accuracy when putting pressure on the barrel with a sling?thanks in advance,marty

country gent
09-04-2014, 06:51 PM
Depending on barrel contour slinging up High power style and as tight can cause shifts in zero. If its out on the barrel harmonics will be affected. There are several ment for carrying that lace onto the buttstock and a halk hitch loop on the barrel

bogger01
09-04-2014, 06:59 PM
not sure on the contour.i'm not opposed to installing swivel studs on the stock and forearm.

pietro
09-05-2014, 09:34 AM

While YMMV, I would never shoot a rifle at game with a tight sling - save it for the target range, where it'll make a difference.

country gent
09-05-2014, 10:14 AM
Installing swivelstuds is an option keep in mind the thinner forearm and heavier rifle wieght if your going to carry with the sling. Most hunting sporters are in the 7-9lb rand and these big black powder singleshots are ussually 9-13lbs. A stud improperly installed may pull out.

bogger01
09-05-2014, 12:07 PM
why is that?

While YMMV, I would never shoot a rifle at game with a tight sling - save it for the target range, where it'll make a difference.

BCRider
09-06-2014, 02:06 PM
Pietro, I'm curious as well.

Re the fore stock. All the singles I have use small screws set rather shallow in the metal of the barrel. I'd be extremely reluctant to trust them with the loads resulting from carrying and hard slinging. Especially since I've found that "pillar bedding" the fore stocks with small leather washers aided with accuracy by separating the beds from the barrel. But by doing so I've made the fore stocks even MORE prone to stressing the screws from any side loads such as a sling would generate. So that leaves me, and you more than likely, with the idea of a sling attachment that wraps around the barrel itself.

In use I think it's a tradeoff for accuracy. On the one hand it does steady the shooter's hold. But unless you can guarantee a consistent pressure and sling placement it will bend the barrel differently each time.

The classic big bore single shot method is to brace off a tree or carry a set of lightweight crossed sticks or even a monopod. The sling would be nice to relieve the arms from carrying but I tend to think using a set of crossed sticks that double as a walking stick when folded would be a better way to go for actually shooting.

bogger01
09-06-2014, 02:13 PM
thanks for the info.i could always just use a sling that wraps the barrel and shoot prone with no sling.i was just curious what accuracy affects it would have.

BCRider
09-06-2014, 02:50 PM
Well, if you're keen on a sling to allow for woods/hunting carry then it'll be easy enough to try it out and compare the POI when slung hard to benched POI's. It's only going to cost you a few rounds of ammo.

And I'm certain that everyone would like to hear about the results.

There's no doubt at all that the side pressure will flex the barrel. But will it be enough to matter? Or more accurately will the shift from a small bend overcome the gain in stability?

Since it's Summer I can safely close with "Perspiring minds need to know"..... :D

bogger01
09-06-2014, 05:07 PM
I can definitely vouch for the "perspiring minds" today,i shot a service rifle match this morning and it was 93 degrees and close to 100% humidity and little breeze.i will try a sling out attached to the barrel and then compare it to shooting from a bench.just my own thoughts but i'm thinking if the sling is mounted far enough down the barrel towards the forearm it shouldn't really flex that much.this has a somewhat heavy octagon barrel but I guess I will just have to find out.

Goatwhiskers
09-06-2014, 05:52 PM
In my experience slings for carry are one thing, slinging up for shooting is another. Most single shots have the forend attached to the barrel in some manner, sling pressure when shooting can and likely will effect the vibration of the barrel, therefore your accuracy. This may or may not be important depending on the range involved. On many it is possible to engineer a hanger attached to the frame which basically negates any problems. For example on a Martini I use a hanger bar attached to a plate which the barrel shoulder clamps to the frame with a free floated forearm. Shooting sticks can also affect POI unless you learn to rest the barrel at exactly the same point and sight in that way. GW