PDA

View Full Version : anyone have experience with installing a Numrich Krag barrel?

webradbury
09-04-2014, 01:07 PM
I'm wondering if they are ready to install out of the box as I was told by Numrich. It is not short chambered, and with the extractor mortise precut, it should be tightened to where the mortise aligns with the receiver cut at 12 o'clock. It took about 1/8th of a turn to do this and was very tight which seemed excessive to me.

xs hedspace
09-04-2014, 01:18 PM
Sounds about right to me--tight is good in many things........check the headspace to be sure. We can't have two xs headspaces here! I used a Garand barrel from them, and it was also a tight fit, but shoots good.

webradbury
09-04-2014, 01:36 PM
closed on the "go" gage...almost but not quite closed on the "no go" and stops just before half closed on the field gage. I guess if the receiver ring didn't crack its not too tight.

the only thing that could be done otherwise would be to take some metal off the barrel face. This would shorten the chamber which would then need finish reaming...I lay awake in bed at night and worry about these things.

Geezer in NH
09-05-2014, 10:44 PM
It did not close on the no-go it is good to go. That's how the gauges work no not almost closed. Why do you think they are made anyway????

webradbury
09-14-2014, 11:29 AM
It did not close on the no-go it is good to go. That's how the gauges work no not almost closed. Why do you think they are made anyway????

I'm certain they are made to check headspace tolerances. As far as smart/unnecessary comments, I have no idea why they are made.

MattOrgan
09-14-2014, 08:36 PM
You are good to go, the bolt should be stripped to use a head space gauge and no force should be used to close the bolt. 1/8 of a turn is okay to get the barrel to time correctly, you got a good crush fit. I'm always concerned about old Krags and Springfields and alway fire them remotely the first time after changing barrels. Probably silly because I've never had a cracked receiver ring or a problem.

webradbury
09-15-2014, 05:54 PM
No that's not silly at all...that's cautious! I have done the same several times. Thanks, Will