PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Block Barrel Question

brstevns
09-04-2014, 09:08 AM
Will the Danish rolling block barrel fit the Remington model 1910?

pietro
09-04-2014, 11:38 AM

I can't answer your question directly, because I've never heard of a Remington model 1910 roller.

AFAIK, RB's are ID'd by action size: #1BP (blackpowder, like the Dane), #1 (smokeless), #1-1/2, #2, #4, #5, #6.

In reference to whatever you're saying is a Model 1910 RB:

A #1 (black powder) action (model of 1867) receiver should measure a nominal 1.312" thickness.

A #1-1/2 should measure a nominal 1.140" thickness and have a "hexigon"-style upper frame (with 3 upper flats).

The #2 & #4 actions are much smaller and have different proportions than the larger #1 & #5 actions.

(The #3 was the Reminghton-Hepburn, a falling-block target rifle, not a rolling-block.)

A #5 action is the same size as the #1 action. To identify a #5 action without removing and measuring the barrel shank, look for the receiver radial relief cuts on either side of front of the breechblock.
(The BP #1 action will have them, but the smokeless #5 will not, the radial cuts having been eliminated for the #5, to strengthen the action.)

The breech blocks are interchangeable between the #1 & #5 RB actions.

Since the Danish RB's were #1 BP actions, it shows to go that the Danish BP barrel should fit the same-size Remington RB - with possible headspacing issues using a different bbl on a different action.

IOW, it's unlikely the Danish barrel will "drop-in" another RB action, w/o some gunsmithing.

brstevns
09-04-2014, 04:49 PM

I can't answer your question directly, because I've never heard of a Remington model 1910 roller.

AFAIK, RB's are ID'd by action size: #1BP (blackpowder, like the Dane), #1 (smokeless), #1-1/2, #2, #4, #5, #6.

In reference to whatever you're saying is a Model 1910 RB:

A #1 (black powder) action (model of 1867) receiver should measure a nominal 1.312" thickness.

A #1-1/2 should measure a nominal 1.140" thickness and have a "hexigon"-style upper frame (with 3 upper flats).

The #2 & #4 actions are much smaller and have different proportions than the larger #1 & #5 actions.

(The #3 was the Reminghton-Hepburn, a falling-block target rifle, not a rolling-block.)

A #5 action is the same size as the #1 action. To identify a #5 action without removing and measuring the barrel shank, look for the receiver radial relief cuts on either side of front of the breechblock.
(The BP #1 action will have them, but the smokeless #5 will not, the radial cuts having been eliminated for the #5, to strengthen the action.)

The breech blocks are interchangeable between the #1 & #5 RB actions.

Since the Danish RB's were #1 BP actions, it shows to go that the Danish BP barrel should fit the same-size Remington RB - with possible headspacing issues using a different bbl on a different action.

IOW, it's unlikely the Danish barrel will "drop-in" another RB action, w/o some gunsmithing.

. Thanks the 1910 is nothing more then the Model 1902 or no. 5 but uses a roller type extractor and not the stright type that runs along the left of the barrel. Then if what i unerstand you are sayng the barrel should fit the model I have.

pietro
09-04-2014, 09:45 PM

Yep, sounds like it will - Just be aware that it most likely won't be a "drop-in".

John Taylor
09-05-2014, 10:58 AM
I have run into several size threads on rollers. The two most common would be the square threads found on BP and smokeless american made but they are different diameters. The 1897 and later uses a larger diameter. Some of the ones made overseas have "V" threads. The #2 has square threads but is much smaller and the #4 has two different take down models and one threaded. You can't date an action by the extractor. Most of the actions for rimless cartridges used a rotating extractor but there are so many variations it would be hard to know. I would no count on being able to take a barrel off one roller and put it on another unless the actions were identical.