PDA

View Full Version : Happy Hunter with PaperPatched in Knight Disc

Themoose
09-03-2014, 10:26 PM
Thanks to Idahoron and Johnson1942 for giving me a good boost into paperpatching. I took Ron's bullets and load info to try out... then bought my own mold, sizing die and paper...great project...I ended up using Blackhorn 209 instead of Pyrodex as I just have great success with it in other muzzleloaders... Today I was able to spend some more time at the range to complete my setup for the upcoming deer season. I removed the Leupold from the Knight and replaced it with a Sightron I 3X9X40 MilDot Scope. I now have my rifle sighted in @ 50, 100, 125, 150, 180 and 208 yards to specific aiming points that the MilDot scope provides. I know that I can use the scope for rangefinding, but I carry the Swarovski rangefinder that doubles as a 6x Monocular, eliminating the need for binos.

Today I was able to hit within +/- 1" of each aiming point at the yardages selected. I am fortunate to be able to hunt both Indiana and Ohio for whitetails.. The 400 grain paperpatched bullet will be more than adequate for any deer within my self-imposed range of 200 yds... perfect for the edges of bean and corn fields in Indiana or the woods and "hollers" both states provide.

Thanks again to Ron and Roger for their great advice and openly shared expertise.

idahoron
09-03-2014, 11:53 PM
I am so glad it all worked out for you. Keep us posted how you do on your hunt. Ron

johnson1942
09-04-2014, 08:49 AM
wow, double wow, your accracy is really as good as it gets. now when someone wants to learn from you, make a convert also. paperpatching is spreading and the results are very good. have you run any of you 400 grain bullets through a chronograph yet? im curious as to the ft. per sec. out of the muzzle. that 400 grain bullet has to be moveing.

Themoose
09-04-2014, 10:33 AM
Roger,

I haven't run any loads through the chrono... with my gimpy knee, I'm just lucky to do any shooting at all... I will try to set up the chrono in the next couple weeks... I normally weigh my BH209, but when my pre-weighed charges run out, I use the powder measure on the range to complete shooting session.. accuracy seems to be consistent with both methods, but the chrono would tell the story a little better... although from personal experience going back 30 years when I was into varmint hunting and shooting extremely small groups I had a super accurate load that didn't shoot consistently when measured over the chrono... when I got a load that shot with a much smaller velocity range, the accuracy was not there.. so I do not put a high value on chrono's for load development... you can probably see that from my post... I like to actually shoot the load at known distances and see where the bullet impacts instead of looking up in a table or putting in a ballistic formula.

TheMoose

johnson1942
09-04-2014, 11:48 AM
i dont use my chrono for accracy. i shoot a load what is very accurate and to be honest what sounds right when it goes off. i can tell by sound what isnt enough powder and what is too much. i use the chrono because i just for my own knowledge want to know how fast the bullet is going. one thing i found out with my chrono and blackhorn 209 powder is this. the same amount of powder and the same bullet out of a 24 inch barrel and a 30 inch barrel give the very same ft per sec at the muzzle. i would never believed that untill my chrono proved it to me. it made me think diff. about the good of a longer barrel.