PDA

View Full Version : IMR PB and the .44 special CA Bulldog

Animal
09-03-2014, 08:48 PM
Hey folks,

I just finished testing out my second load for my new .44 special. I used a softcast Saeco #420 (Truncated cone) 200 grain boolit, tumble lubed in LLA and sized to .432.

I tested charge weights between 5.0gr to 6.0gr of IMR PB and WLP primer.

The recoil was very light and accuracy was great toward the top end. I got the data from Hodgdons 2013 annual publication. The load, according to the manual was less than 12,000 cup, yet provided around 960fps from an 8in barrel. I was interested in the pressure/velocity ratio.

Also, this was the first time I got to put my Saeco #420 boolits to use. All around, I'm pleased with every aspect.

I don't have a chrono, so I don't really know exactly what I've produced with this load, so I was hoping that someone with some experience with this load combination could chime in with a few details. It was definitely a fun load to shoot, but I'd like to know what I've created and what it might be useful for. BTW, the Bulldog has a 4 inch barrel.

Thanks folks

Rattlesnake Charlie
09-03-2014, 09:03 PM
IMR PB has long been an underrated powder for handguns, and even for shotshells (its original purpose). Too bad it is being discontinued. I believe this powder, along with many others, suffered from newer powders being the subject of both hot magazine articles and manufacturers advertising. Many "old" and even "obsolete" powders still do quite well without any newsprint or advertizing hype. 2400 and Unique still do OK, don't they? Don't get me started!

Animal
09-03-2014, 09:13 PM
Discontinued??? That is a shame. I was just getting acquainted to it. It seems like the only good powders for handguns that ever show up on the shelf these days are actually shotgun powders. I'll go pick up a pound tomorrow.

bobthenailer
09-04-2014, 08:34 AM
I also have the Saeco #420 . Has proven to be very accurate from many 44 mags handguns & 2 rifles and one CA-BD 44special revolver over the past 20 odd years. i have probley shot over 20,000 of them.
At one time i used Bullseye and for the last 10 years or so Tightgroup powder, for loads in the 800 to 1,100 fps range with excellent accuracy with every firearm used.