PDA

View Full Version : Any Opinions On Montana X-treme "Cowboy Blend" Lead & Powder Solvent?

DougGuy
09-03-2014, 06:50 PM
At $22 for 20oz plus the hazmat shipping, is this stuff worth the investment?

I had a .44 Special cylinder in for work and it had some VERY stubborn carbon deposits in it that required manually and tediously removing with an xacto blade since Shooter's Choice and #9 wouldn't dissolve it.

jrayborn
09-03-2014, 07:12 PM
I tried it and cannot recommend it at all. I find that silicroil is THE BEST, and I also recommend IOSSO bore cleaning creme. I use it on q-tips to clean revolver forcing cones and cylinder faces. Works like magic in a revolver or a semi. The COWBOY BLEND sukz.

JWFilips
09-03-2014, 09:13 PM
Well I have a recipe I use for my revolvers. Good for lead & carbon. Go to the art supply store ( not the hardware store) and by a tin of pure turpentine ...it will be pricy (but it is the only way to get real turps anymore) mix it 1/3 turps , 1/3 Hoppes No 9 and 1/3 kroil. Use this mix on a bore mop or loose fitting patch let the wetted bore & cylinder sit for at least 4 hours Then use a very tight dry patch to push it all out. Worse case I had 12 hours (w/2 loose swabbings) then the tight patch. I like to use "Gleen" micro fiber cloths cut into patches for this tight patch push through ( I save the not too bad used ones & wash them to be used again.) I think you can find "Gleen cloth" on the internet. it is a very tight weave thin micro fiber used for cleaning glass & such
I found this works for 22 rimfire up to 44 mag revolvers that have carbon & lead buildup

bobthenailer
09-04-2014, 08:48 AM
IF you want to clean a stainless revolver FLITZ metal polish work's like a dream .
spend the extra money and buy the large 2 lb can @ $36.00 over the small costly tubes! it will be at least a 10+ years supply

I had the Montana L&P solvent for several years now but havent used it enough to form a opinion.
I use flitz !

Silver Jack Hammer
09-04-2014, 09:07 AM
When I use Montana X-treme "Cowboy" lead and powder solvent I have to use it outside, my cat gives me a dirty look and walks away because it smells so bad, and I have to keep it in a zip locked bag in the garage. I'm not buying any more of it, it's not worth it.

Now Butch's Bore Shine, which also smells bad is worth the trouble. Two soaked patches down my 30" Sharpes bore after a day of holy black and home poured lead boolits and the bore looks like new. Butch's Bore Shine comes in a clear plastic container that keeps the stink contained.