PDA

View Full Version : Sausage

DeanoBeanCounter
01-30-2008, 07:41 PM
Does anyone have a good sausage recipe I can use bison meat in? I don't want to take a wild guess and ruin some good meat. Also, not to burn my mouth out, I want to be able to taste it. :twisted: I don't know, something like beef summer sausage, I love summer sausage. Almost as much as I love chocolate. [smilie=1: But not near as much as I love SWMBO. :-D Thanks
Dean

Glen
01-30-2008, 11:27 PM
You need to get Rytek Kutas' excellent book on sausage making! Go to:

http://www.sausagemaker.com/

and the book is right there, front and center.

I bought his book several years ago and it is jammed-full of excellent recipes for all kinds of sausage. I've used his recipes for at least a dozen different varieties of sausage and they are very good. He also talks about what you need to do to make sausage safely so you don't poison yourself or your family. I highly recommend this book.

In fact, I think I'll go have some buffalo german sausage for dinner!

PatMarlin
01-31-2008, 01:52 AM
I make a breakfast "Jimmy Dean" Style sausage patties with "Carls" commercial sausage seasoning and some pepper flakes.

It is very good and easy to do. We have a kitchenaide with the meat grinder attatchment.

I grind up the meat, mix in the seasoning and then wrap the patties in serran wrap, then freeze. They don't last long.

PatMarlin
01-31-2008, 02:16 AM
If anyone wants to know it's:

Carl's southern style pork sausage seasoning

By Carl's Gourmet Product
Carlson Butchering Supply
50 Mendell St Ste 12, San Francisco, CA 94124

Phone: (415) 648-2601

The stuff just plain ROCKS. I buy it in a bag that makes up to 50lbs of meat.

MT Gianni
01-31-2008, 12:04 PM
Pat, Do you add pork fat to game meat or pork? How much fat do you like? My wife wants 9% and I think it cooks better at 15%? Gianni

PatMarlin
01-31-2008, 12:37 PM
Well one thing's for sure Bison's real dry cause much of it's so lean, of course same with venison.

My problem is I'm allergic to pork. Can't eat it. So what I've done is added fatty beef, and Costco in these parts has some wonderful Lamb from Australia than I have been mixing with it.

I haven't tried beef lard yet. Venison fat is horribly gamey when frozen- I trim every single bit I can.

Best thing to do is try a small batch and cook it for a taste test. I do that with every batch I make up.

I'm wondering if you could make up a healthy lard using something like smart balance spread and extra virgin olive oil, and maybe a little beef lard binder. I've got to try that.

The Carl's has dextrose in it which is a starchy corn based sweetener, yet it doesn't add sweetness to the flavor. It seems to add a juicy kind of binder making dry meat a little more sausage like you could say.

Boy we're getting hammered by snow up here... :shock:

PatMarlin
01-31-2008, 12:45 PM
Now I'm hungry. Gonna go fry up some sausage and my eggs over easy. Tam made some bread last night so we're good to go.

If you haven't bought your wife a Kitchen Aide. Buy one now. I get fresh breads, desserts, and of course it's a great meat proccessor. It was a good move.. :mrgreen:

PatMarlin
01-31-2008, 01:03 PM
Got the patties going now.

What I like to do is grind up the meat, season, then I tear off about 12" of plastic wrap and drop 2 clumps of meat on each end to get the size I like, and fold over while forming patties. keeps your hands clean also.

Then I fold the 2 together so I get 2 patties enclosed in wrap and separated per the one sheet. It works pretty good at keeping the majority of the freezer burn off. Then I put em' in a big ziplock for the freezer.

This is real fast easy processing. I've got a food saver, but that's a waste of time and material on these.

MT Gianni
01-31-2008, 03:14 PM
Somewhere, I think in Rytec Kutas' Sausage book I recall him talking about using oatmeal as a binder for sausage, though it may have been for cased. This works as the fat does to hold the meat together and keep it from sticking to the pan. Lard is rendered fat and not much good at all for adding as a fat. We have used Beef and Pork for different flavors, stay away from lamb fat. Gianni

floodgate
01-31-2008, 06:11 PM
Pat:

"Amen" on that Kitchen-Aid; what a great tool: sausage, bread, and all those good things that are so much better home-made. Bev and I have sold a bunch of friends on them, too.

Doug

fourarmed
02-08-2008, 01:21 PM
The Oster electric grinder works well, is under $100, and comes with some good sausage recipes. Those recipes are just a starting point anyway. Add more garlic, add some habanero powder...

Kansas
03-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Fourarmed does NOT add habanero powder to the meat, he adds a little meat to the habanero powder. Towels for drying the sweat IS manditory!!

fourarmed
03-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Well, I admit that last year's sausage was a little hotter than usual. Kansas came over for jambalaya, and I used two rings of it in the recipe. The week before I had made a batch using this year's sausage, and had to add hab powder to get it up to a proper heat level. Unfortunately, I added hab powder to the later batch, too. It was a teeny bit hot.