PDA

View Full Version : Holsters for our cast shooters

Blackwater
09-03-2014, 11:41 AM
Fellas, I thought I'd chip in on this subject for you newer cast shooters in hopes of improving your experience afield or on the range with your cast shooters. It's based on a LOT of experience over some 40+ years of using these shootin' irons of whatever type.

I've found NOTHING really pleases me like a genuine leather holster the purpose of which is to keep our shootin' irons neatly tucked away as comfortably as possible and still be armed. No rig is as comfortable as not wearing a gun, but that ain't much of a solution to the conditions extant afield, on the range, or travelling in an increasingly violent and unpredictable society. So .... here's what I've found. Habit, or "prior learning" is a powerful thing. If one carries his gun in the same place every time, one develops the habit of reaching to that place EVERY TIME, which is part and parcel of good security, whether on the range, afield or for self defense. It's a VERY powerful influence, and one us old timers can benefit from substantially. After all, for us, there are few advantages, so we ought to take advantage of the ones we can still use, right?

I've long carried my guns on the hip, sometimes called the "kidney position." Whenever I think "gun," my hand automatically thrusts to that position. I make exception to this only for the teensy lil' .380 I carry in my pocket. The law in GA dictates that it MUST be in a holster, but if it didn't, I'd still use one because it keeps the butt of the gun in the right position for a hasty draw, if needed. Also, it doesn't send any signals to the perp that you're readying yourself for whatever.

Otherwise, I always, or very nearly always carry in the kidney position. If you ever noticed, that's how John Wayne and innumerable others carried their rigs. Hollywood style is to carry directly to the side, and if you're on horseback, that work s, but the kidney position is just where I know I'll reach instinctively, so that's where I carry all the time. It works, too. Habit is a VERY powerful influence, and you CAN most definitely miss a shot afield if you can't get into action quickly. My eldest grandson took a rabbit that flushed from under his feet at a distance of about 15 feet, not using the sights, simply because he was ready for that situation. It works.

With single actions, I've found that a holster with a strap over the top keeps the gun secure through anything I've encountered, which is quite a bit, and still allows very quick retrieval if you sweep the heel of your gun hand along the surface of the holster until it reaches the strap, which should be long (about 2" of hang beyond the metal snap) enough that you can train it to curve outward so as to allow easy access to the underside, which automatically will unsnap it as the heel of your hand rises upward, and begins to shape itself so as to grab that grip on the gun. The rest of course, it totally instinctive, quick and hopefully, quick enough.

I've carried double action revolvers with thumb snap holsters, but they're slower than the above with a single action. They're secure enough, of course, but one of the reasons I love my single actions is that they're just a click quicker than my DA's for that first shot, which is often the only one you'll get, really. Still, for field use, they're quick enough, usually, and I don't fret over a missed opportunity afield these days, like I did when I was younger and more full of beans and vinegar. For my little Colt Detective Special 2", I think I'm going to get an open top holster with no strap that tucks the butt into the body for security against loss. Haven't decided what grips to get yet, so haven't ordered a holster yet, but .... I'm workin' on it. Maybe some of you who use DA holsters with a simple strap, like the SA holster I've described above, can comment on their use. I haven't used one of those in a long time, and therefore am not very qualified to comment there, but with a new to me Security Six, I may give one a try this time.

With autos, I've found the thumb snap types are very much like the DA thumb snaps above, but just a click slower because you have to reach your thumb around that rear tang above the grip. Not much, but just a click. I've found good satisfaction with simple open top holsters here, especially when the holster tucks the butt to the waist like the Andrews McDaniel IWB holster for my .45's. The simple friction of the gun butt against the flesh is quite sufficient to keep it secure in any likely scenarios I might encounter. Those with matchstick waists might find differently, but most of us will find them fully acceptable, and they're as fast as I can be at this stage in life.

Carrying so that our guns are out of the way, well concealed if appropriate, and still quickly and easily accessible is a real boon to all of us whenever we choose to carry our cast shooters, and almost always enhances our performance out of all proportion to the slight cost difference between these and some nylon or kydex that's cheaper. Plus, they'll last a lifetime or three. Not a bad tradeoff.

Moral of this story is simple: If you love accumulating bells and whistles for your setup, you might want to take care of the basics of carrying more effectively and comfortably. Getting the right holster is a BIG step forward in that direction. When you get the right holster, you'll wonder why you didn't get that FIRST. Welcome to the club, bro'! Us old timers didn't learn these things by being right all the time. Actual use trumps theory ANY day, so heeding others' experience just may enhance your use and proficiency with our cast shooters. Just thought I'd contribute this for your consideration.

Oh yeah! Almost forgot. One good source to get good leather at reasonable rates is bullets.com. They have El Paso Saddlery stuff at good prices, substantially less than Bianchi or Safariland or any others I can think of. You might want to give 'em a visit and take a look-see.

Airman Basic
09-03-2014, 12:23 PM
[QUOTE=For my little Colt Detective Special 2", I think I'm going to get an open top holster with no strap that tucks the butt into the body for security against loss. Haven't decided what grips to get yet, so haven't ordered a holster yet, but .... I'm workin' on it. [/QUOTE]

Been carrying this Cobra in the Galco Speed Paddle 30+ years, 'til the LCR got the love. The Ruger is lighter, better trigger, and no spur to scratch my hand. Can't go wrong with the Galco stuff, though.

shooter93
09-03-2014, 06:46 PM
I believe bullets.com is run by the Grizzly Imports folks. The president has gotten into long range shooting etc. and when he gets interested in something he adds it to his business. He was quite the guitar maker awhile back.

Love Life
09-03-2014, 06:56 PM
Mernickle is the bomb.

Blackwater
09-03-2014, 07:00 PM
Hmmm. A luthier??? Interesting. Those guys are TRUE CRAFTSMEN, or at least the good ones are, and those who aren't so hot don't last long in that business. We've got Randy Wood in nearby Savannah, and you've seen his work on TV I'm sure, especially if you watch country or blue grass videos. He's getting kinda' old, but he still loves his blue grass music, has a "shop" with stage big enough that several hundred similarly inclined folks can pack in weekly for some blue grass music and fun. He repaired what I believe to be my Dad's old 1932 Gretch arch top with oversized body. Never met or heard of a luthier that wasn't a good and neat guy. Craftsmen are just like that. The love in their hearts for their work keeps them on an even keel and a satisfied man never seeks trouble or dissention. Glad you told me about him. I'll try to order there more often. In the long run, it always pays to do business with good folks.

Jupiter7
09-03-2014, 10:57 PM
I was an on and off luthier as a prior hobby to shooting, reloading and casting. Made cigar box guitars, ukes , banjos and mountain dulcimers. Lots of 3 string instruments with diatonic scale and open tunings.

for nice holsters for afield, I always suggest

www.simplyrugged.com

Piedmont
09-03-2014, 11:30 PM
It seems to me carrying a holstered gun over the kidney would be terribly uncomfortable any time one sat in any kind of chair with a back. Getting jabbed in the floating ribs would be no fun. It would also be hard to reach there unless the gun was mounted horizontally. Then there would be the argument of falling on the gun and injuring the spine or breaking those ribs.

fredj338
09-04-2014, 03:41 AM
Most iwb guys are carrying about 4:00, kidney, maybe, but certainly not near the spine. With a 4" or shorter bbl, no real issue sitting/driving. Any gun is tough to get to get at unless you carry cross draw or appendix, but appendix violates a lot of safety rues. Holster choices are very personal, more so than gun choices.

Blackwater
09-04-2014, 10:40 AM
Thanks, Jupiter. Appreciate the link.

igolfat8
09-04-2014, 07:59 PM
I'm a full time luthier since 92.

Thanks for your input on holsters.

EdS
09-05-2014, 06:54 AM
My "habitual" carry is a J-frame in an IWB secured just in Front of my left hip, for right-hand cross draw. It is easily covered by my T-shirt untucked in summer and vest or jacket in cooler weather. It is easily reached even when wearing a seat belt in my car. I feel that this last point is important if you drive in any "city" conditions. It's where my hand goes, when... -Ed

Djones
09-05-2014, 09:14 AM
Here is my holster of choice for my everyday carry. I'm 6'4" so I can wear a full sized 1911 comfortably with this holster I made about 5 years ago.

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt124/duckwhackercmon/CAE3E0FC-A4AC-4A04-922B-BA564C18141D-1277-000000218804CD5D.jpg (http://s604.photobucket.com/user/duckwhackercmon/media/CAE3E0FC-A4AC-4A04-922B-BA564C18141D-1277-000000218804CD5D.jpg.html)

i too wear this just over my wallet.

W.R.Buchanan
09-05-2014, 04:48 PM
Pretty big on Mernickle Holsters for Field Carry myself. It could also work for Concealed Carry as well.

For Competition or Car Carry I like Bladetech Kydex holsters. In the car it goes under the seat with the butt forward so I can grab it quickly.

For my S&W696 I have both as I use it for both.

Here's pics:

Randy

edadmartin
09-08-2014, 03:01 PM
Im an amateur guitar builder, boat builder and now boolit castershooter , I hesitate to say luthier though. If you are bored and want to see pics go to my site here www.redtailguitars.com (http://www.redtailguitars.com)