PDA

View Full Version : Digital Thermometer for lead on ebay

oneMOA
09-03-2014, 07:56 AM
Has anyone tried one of these for measuring and monitoring smelting and casting lead temps?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-Type-Digital-Thermometer-Stainles-Probe-Lead-Bullet-Casting-Melting-Pot-TC-3-/221436152755

Bonz
09-03-2014, 08:14 AM
I tried something similar but reading the temperature does not keep it consistent. I just bought a PID controller from OBIII to keep the temperature right where I want it

Garyshome
09-03-2014, 08:27 AM
Nope I use a regular one, it doesn't need batteries, and it cost less.

oneMOA
09-03-2014, 08:38 AM
I tried something similar but reading the temperature does not keep it consistent. I just bought a PID controller from OBIII to keep the temperature right where I want it

OK, how about a little more info on the source of your PID, link to website, or?

jsizemore
09-03-2014, 09:07 PM
Try the first sticky on this forum page.

Doc Highwall
09-04-2014, 06:25 PM
I use one like that for measuring the temperature of my hot plate for pre heating my moulds and ingots to replenish the casting pot.

oneMOA
09-04-2014, 07:07 PM
I have come to the conclusion that an accurate thermometer is not the answer. Just knowing the accurate temperature of your melt at any given time is of little value in my opinion. I am convinced that there is a formula involved with boolit casting and that is for a given allow temp, a given mold temp, a perfect boolit will be cast. This of course requires the alloy to be controlled at a constant and accurate temp. The thermostats on the available melt pots are not accurate enough to provide precise alloy temp. Only a PID will do that. With a given alloy temp then the variable becomes the mold temp in reaching the goal of perfect boolits. Half of the difficulty has been removed by controlling the alloy temp to a precise number. I have read with great interest the "Sticky" at the top of this form regarding PID's and in my opinion this is the way to go.

I plan to order the components from Auberin in the next few days with the expectation that my learning curve on casting boolits will be greatly shortened. I like technology to help my life become easier. Thats why I use a digital thermometer to check the internal temp of my Thanksgiving turkey during the baking process. High tech toys......you gotta love 'em :-).

CastingFool
09-04-2014, 08:01 PM
If you have a multimeter that can measure temperature, all you need is the proper k-type probe. Much cheaper that the ebay offer. You do have to pay attention to the temp rating on the probe, as they are made for different temps.