PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the S&W 1911!

seagiant
09-02-2014, 06:58 PM
Hi,
Did some horse trading and picked up what I think is a pretty nice pistol It's a production line S&W 1911 with some upgrades. Was wondering if anyone has tried one of these and what people thought of them. Seems to be a tight well made piece in SS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRkeRrZM-L8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK8TOfzVCvY

osteodoc08
09-02-2014, 07:05 PM
I had a 1911TA (E series) and it was absolutely fabulous. I had to let it go during lean times and I miss it. It is not exactly traditional with its external extractor but I had absolutely no issues with mine. Ran like a top.

ShooterAZ
09-02-2014, 07:23 PM
I have one and like it a lot. The sights are perfectly regulated and it is very, very accurate. The trigger when brand spanking new was a bit stiff & heavier than I like, but the more I shoot it, the better it gets. Need more trigger time on it! It is not finicky about what it shoots, and shoots cast very well.

seagiant
09-03-2014, 12:10 AM
Hi,
Well I guess the S&W 1911 fans are using the model # to show what exactly they have. I guess now there is more variations than a few years back and there is the new "E" Series.

Mine is the older variation but seems to be well respected by the Choir! My model # is 108282. I hope to shoot it today!

tygar
09-03-2014, 10:58 AM
I got one of the first to come out. It was very well made & shot OK. Not as good as my custom match guns or Gold Cups, but good enough for most.

Kept it for a few yrs. but it was kind of a "tweener", not as good as a match gun & 2 big for carry so tween the 2.

But, it is a nice gun & worth having.

376Steyr
09-03-2014, 11:08 AM
I have a compact model. Along with the external extractor, mine has a firing pin safety that is activated by the grip safety, a neat way to get around the "Colt Series 80 trigger" blues.

seagiant
09-03-2014, 11:27 AM
Hi,
Yes! Mine has the same grip trigger block safety and it is suppose to be less trouble and best of the firing pin blocks! I could live without it but is no problem really.

I was always a fan of the older Gen. 2&3 S&W and had a few in different calibers. I'm now pretty much down to 9 and 45,although a RIA 10mm may be in the wings!:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Tygar, That is the worst I've heard on these pistols (which isn't really bad) and I've been all over the NET! I got one on the reccomendation of a buddy of mine that owns a gunshop and is pretty up on whats happening in the firearm field. I will say it's the most expensive 1911 I've ever had and had to do some trading to get it. Time will tell!

Shooter AZ, you might want to "boost" your trigger a couple of times!

fourarmed
09-03-2014, 02:13 PM
Friend of mine got one in 9mm. It is gorgeous in every way but one: it won't group worth a darn. He sent it back, and they returned it saying it met their accuracy standards. He is sending it to Clark to have the barrel refit. It is very sloppily fit at both ends, especially the rear.

youngmman
09-03-2014, 03:20 PM
I have a Performance Center 945 I bought 18 years ago and it is a sweet shooting pistol although I don't shoot it much. It is not a 1911 clone and it has a slightly lesser grip angle.

ShooterAZ
09-03-2014, 08:40 PM
Shooter AZ, you might want to "boost" your trigger a couple of times!

Ummm...what does that mean? I have not heard that before, "boost" the trigger. Please enlighten me on this!

seagiant
09-03-2014, 10:11 PM
Hi,
It's just a technique to mate/polish the sear nose with the hammer hooks. Don't do it real hard or an awful lot (4-6 times). It will usually get rid of some grittiness and give a better feeling trigger. A lot of gunsmiths would do it after completing a "real" trigger job. I've included a link that explains it!
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=212051

MtGun44
09-04-2014, 03:28 AM
Nice gun but it has a weird extractor.

Bill

seagiant
09-04-2014, 10:06 AM
Hi Bill,
Yes it has an "external" extractor, but, I'm hoping that JMB would not mind!

I took the pistol completely apart to check it out and get rid of burs. The main small parts are MIM but good quality and the trigger is nice. I did not stone any matching surfaces on the sear and hammer just the sides where they contact the frame which helped with the smoothness, trigger bow,trigger channel in frame,connector,ect.

I found I was out of reloaded 45 acp so have not shot it yet, since I'm reloading for it on my Dillon 300, to cheap to buy factory ammo for plinking, and have plenty of LSWC's from my MiHec H&G#68 clone brass mold!

MtGun44
09-05-2014, 01:20 AM
Well, I'm not sure JB would approve, but apparently they work. Just "not normal". :kidding: :bigsmyl2:

H&G 68 is a good boolit for the 1911 platform, great choice.

Bill

OptimusPanda
09-05-2014, 10:06 AM
I bought that exact model in 2010? Anyway when I first got it it would fail to feed about every 10th round. After breaking in 200-300 rounds later it was better at about every 50. I sent it back to smith and Ive no idea what was wrong with it but when it came back it took about 6 or 7 hundred rounds for the next jam.

22cf45
09-05-2014, 10:27 AM
Not long ago, I was at the range Ransom Resting a couple of my match 1911 45 acp's to check a new lot of powder. A friend showed up with a newly purchased S&W 1911. I ended up buckling it up in the RR and shooting my match loads in it. I was very surprised how well it shot straight out of the box. I got 10 shot groups at 50 yds around 3 1/2". Can't say I'm crazy about the extractor but I'm one of those who thinks "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Phil