PDA

View Full Version : Lee...

T-Man
09-02-2014, 08:53 AM
It tickles me to see how much Lee gets pounded on most any forum...yet when their stuff comes up for sale, it is snatched up quicker than just about any other brand. In fact, Lee had to spend a dookie load of cash to expand their operations just to keep up with their order volume. I have always used lee. It requires constant tinkering to keep it rolling. Some times their ideas are poorly executed, but all in all, they put out good products. You just have to work through the trials and tribulations until you find the system that works for you...I guess the point is, why bother with putting down a product line if your secretly gonna use it anyway

trails4u
09-02-2014, 08:57 AM
I use a lot of lee equipment.... It's not all the bees knees, but some if it is hard to complain about. My go to press is a classic turret, i love the FCDs, and love their carbide pistol dies. I prefer Redding rifle dies....but also have and use Lee dies in just about every caliber I load. For precision hunting/target loads....you'll find me twisting away with a Lee case trimmer as well. Haven't found anything as clean/accurate yet!! The Lee bashing doesn't seem near as bad on this site as on some others I spend some time on.....folks here seem more about function, and less about the Jones'.....

GoodOlBoy
09-02-2014, 09:15 AM
I use lee products alot, and actually have had less problems with them than a certain company using green boxes. One of the things that I LIKE doing is loading with the lee classic loaders. Eventually I got tired of pounding brass in and out of the loader, and started buying carbide sizing dies from lee for the straightwalls. still do the rest of the processes with the loaders, but resizing on a press does save time.

All in all I LIKE lee.

GoodOlBoy

Janoosh
09-02-2014, 09:18 AM
You can't beat Lee's rifle dies...for the price.
Most of my milsurp rifle dies are Lee.
The best pistol die I ever used is the Lee speed die..38/357.

USAFrox
09-02-2014, 09:18 AM
I use a good bit of Lee equipment, but I'm not a brand snob, by any means. I use dies by Lee, Forster, and RCBS. My main press is an RCBS Rockchucker, but I also have a Lee Reloader "C-type" press. My case trimmer is RCBS. My shotshell loader is MEC. My case concentricity checker and a few other small tools are Hornady. I use Hornady lock-rings on all my dies of any brand. My case gauges are Dillon. I just ordered a bunch of Inline Fabrication stuff for my press. My molds are all Lee, NOE, Mihec, Lyman, and RCBS. I guess I just use what works, not choosing something by brand.

Blanco
09-02-2014, 09:56 AM
I tend to use what works. I have been using Lee products for a long time and really have no complaints. If something breaks they send me parts. I have loaded gobs of ammo, and nearly all of it has worked. I think the reason Lee gets kicked around is a lot of people get kinda pissy when the see how much they overpaid for the other brands. Some just have no mechanical skills what so ever and when it comes time to tinker a bit, get frustrated and throw a temper tantrum. I have bought several used pieces of Lee equipment for cheap that needed a bit of TLC and Lee even provided parts. One of those is my .45 ACP Loadmaster, the guy just could not make it work. He had it for a year and finally sold it to me for less than half the price of a new machine.
Lee replaced one part and I bought a new primer feeder and tray. It has since made in excess of 10,000. .45 ACP rounds with nothing more than a little bit of maintenance.

Vinne
09-02-2014, 10:42 AM
I have used Lee products for over 40 years. There have been a lot of changes and improvements. You can't beat them but I find, like with most equipment, you can't let it sit for a time and then go to use it. Once you get it going, load a little more than you need and leave some for another day. I loaded hundreds of rounds and didn't use the press for about a year. Well I had a lot of problems to get it back in shape but once I did it cranked them out like crazy.

dudel
09-02-2014, 11:19 AM
I have some Lee stuff, along with Hornady, RCBS, Dillon and Lyman. I won't try to fool myself into thinking that the Lee stuff is just as good as the other gear. It works (or it wouldn;t be on the bench). The Lee dies develop surface rust sitting alongside other dies that do not. Surface rust is cosmetic, and has nothing to do with making ammo (but it does reflect a different quality of steel). I've had some Lee stuff that was a pain to use (safety scale), didn't work for me (LCT) and a few other items (Lee trimmers) that didn't work as well as other stuff. On the other hand, I got plenty of Lee moulds and a Lee production pot that I like a lot. I'm a big fan of their Carbide Crimp Die, collet dies, hand loaders and the old handheld primer tool. OTOH, Lee dies have the shortest threaded portion available of any dies I've seen. So short in fact, that I've had to mount the locking ring UNDER the 550 toolhead because there was not enough threat left on top of the toolhead. I have a Lee push through sizer that sizes fine; but can't seat a gas check evenly. Lee quality control seems to be handled by return the product.

I guess having other brands on my bench gives me a way to compare them. If all you had was Lee, then it would be hard to compare their quality to anything else. If you want to see what a push through sizer can be, get one of Buckshots Lee style sizers. The workmanship on Buckshot's product is amazing, the accuracy is spot on, the quality control second to none, and he does it for the same price (or less) and in less time than Lee.

An earlier poster spoke of coming back to his Lee Press after a period of time and having to work with it to get it back in shape. I've never had to do that with my Dillon 550 or RCBS RockChucker. The RockChucker was idle for almost a year, and it just picked right up and kept working.

mdi
09-02-2014, 12:08 PM
I think the whole "Lee Bashing" thing started in a couple ways. Mebbe some Ham Fisted Gorilla leaned on his Lee press with a cheater bar trying to size some un-lubed .389 Gaszooks Magnum brass and broke the press. Therefore all Lee stuff is junk (I used an old Lee aluminum Challenger press for years and it did not wear out nor break). Another reason is the innovative way Lee uses modern materials (just like Glock did). "Plastics" used in some tools just can't be accepted by some tool snobs. Also Lee is nearly the least expensive equipment around, lending it to much criticism (if it don't cost much, it can't be any good, right?). I have used Lee equipment from the beginning, starting in '69 and being a life long machinist/mechanic and knowing how to use hand tools, my equipment works great...

aspangler
09-02-2014, 12:09 PM
I have a Pro 1000 that I can leave sitting for a year if I want to and it will crank 'em out as fast as I can put a boolit in the case. A loaded round every pull of the handle. I have a LOT of Lee equipment and all I have ever had to do to fix something was to call Lee and they would send the parts out sometimes the same day! I also have Lyman, RCBS, and even a set of Herter's dies and I have had no trouble with any of them. Rust is not a problem if you take care of your dies properly. I have had RCBS dies that looked like **** with surface rust but that was MY fault for storing them improperly. You get good and bad in any brand you buy. JM2cents.

bangerjim
09-02-2014, 12:23 PM
I have LOTS LEE equipment (and some SAECO/LYMAN/MIHEC molds) and do not have a problem except with that stupid little ladle the sell. But it makes a gread casting pot stirring spoon!

Lee has been around for a long time and they must be doing something correct as their stuff sells fast and is many times out of stock for weeks.

Buy it, you will like. And get your nose out of the air!

bangerjim

44Vaquero
09-02-2014, 12:36 PM
I am currently one of the Admin's on a FB User Group titled "Lee Reloading and Casting Equipment". The group was stated specifically by a gentleman that wanted to create a place for Lee users to exchange tips and tricks without being looked down upon. We have recently passed the 6000 member mark (Sunday), the group is lively and active with a broad range of user experience/inexperience and a fairly wide demographic.

If it was not for Lee many people would never start reloading in the 1st place, and never progress to using other brands at all. Richard Lee most likely introduced more people to reloading then all the others put together!

starmac
09-02-2014, 06:27 PM
I always get a kick out of how fast it sells on the swapping. I don't know if anybody secretly uses any lee stuff or not, but a lot of folks, most probably use or have used some lee products.

fryboy
09-02-2014, 06:40 PM
lee ...eh at least it's american right ? and something else to consider ? while all were swamped during the last shortage fiasco lee put extra effort into getting stock to dealers

troyboy
09-02-2014, 06:59 PM
I surley appreciate Lee.

jmort
09-02-2014, 07:12 PM
It is no wonder Lee Precision is the largest reloading manufacturing company. Incredible pricing, great customer service, and made in the USA. If you have the $$$, there are better products out there, but if $$$ matters, Lee Precision dominates.

Bello
09-02-2014, 08:25 PM
It is no wonder Lee Precision is the largest reloading manufacturing company. Incredible pricing, great customer service, and made in the USA. If you have the $$$, there are better products out there, but if $$$ matters, Lee Precision dominates.

I agree Lee makes good stuff, I have two Dillon xl650's and a little Lee challenger ss press not even the classic cast and I handload all my .308 ammo with it as well as .50 ae and .sw 500

dragon813gt
09-02-2014, 08:41 PM
I will say it over and over. Most of what Lee sells is great. And most of the bashing is unwarranted. But some of their products have known issues and should be talked about negatively. This is the only way changes will be made. But the fanboys get hurt and defend their brand no matter what. I have a large selection of Lee products. More so than any other brand by a large margin. There is nothing wrong w/ talking about any product in a negative way if it's warranted.

HangFireW8
09-02-2014, 08:54 PM
An earlier poster spoke of coming back to his Lee Press after a period of time and having to work with it to get it back in shape. I've never had to do that with my Dillon 550 or RCBS RockChucker. The RockChucker was idle for almost a year, and it just picked right up and kept working.

I've never come back to my RockChucker and needed to work with it to get it back in shape either... nor my Lee Classic Cast.

I have had to fiddle a bit with the Lee bullet feed... which I had mounted on my ProJector.

How are those case and bullet feeders on your 550 working out for you?

g.man10mm
09-02-2014, 11:39 PM
I will say it over and over. Most of what Lee sells is great. And most of the bashing is unwarranted. But some of their products have known issues and should be talked about negatively. This is the only way changes will be made.

I agree. A perfect example was the Auto Disk Pro fixing the issue of screwing directly into plastic (which was not durable - needing frequent repair) by going to a threaded brass nut. As an added bonus, you don't have to dump powder to swap disks either. Both of my Hornady progressives use one instead of the measure that came with the press.

crowbuster
09-02-2014, 11:54 PM
I think the whole "Lee Bashing" thing started in a couple ways. Mebbe some Ham Fisted Gorilla leaned on his Lee press with a cheater bar trying to size some un-lubed .389 Gaszooks Magnum brass and broke the press. Therefore all Lee stuff is junk (I used an old Lee aluminum Challenger press for years and it did not wear out nor break). Another reason is the innovative way Lee uses modern materials (just like Glock did). "Plastics" used in some tools just can't be accepted by some tool snobs. Also Lee is nearly the least expensive equipment around, lending it to much criticism (if it don't cost much, it can't be any good, right?). I have used Lee equipment from the beginning, starting in '69 and being a life long machinist/mechanic and knowing how to use hand tools, my equipment works great...
Now just how in the world do you know my brother in law ????

Bzcraig
09-03-2014, 01:29 AM
I haven't been reloading that long but to this point I have purchased only Lee (except molds) and since I haven't yet been disappointed I have not had the need to go elsewhere. I do have a Dillion swager, but if Lee made one it would have been the first purchase. I suppose when I have an epic Lee failure I might look elsewhere but until then, I blissfully move forward in ignorance. I do though have to chuckle at those who insist Lee is junk and their brand is perfect and flawless then the next post expresses the foibles of the perfect and flawless brand. If I make the move from my classis cast turret to a progressive maybe I'll switch to....................naw, I'll get a Lee Loadmaster.

shoot-n-lead
09-03-2014, 02:05 AM
I have and use some Lee things...in my opinion (and mine is the one that counts) Lee products are a compromise that will work...nothing more.

I will compliment Lee on this, their progressive presses drove me to buy Dillon presses and not complain one bit about the price...after years of constant fiddling with those things, I finally had my fill of them, moved on and never looked back. Matter of fact, I gave my last Lee progressive away, to a fellow over on Specialty Pistols.

And, to the press thing, I have just traded my Classic Cast Turret away in the Swap & Sell...

However, with the above said, I still think that Lee has definitely brought people in that otherwise would have never started reloading.

Brotherbadger
09-03-2014, 05:05 AM
I like my Lee stuff. I use a Classic Cast single stage and it's built like a tank. I love the floating pin on their dies(my old Lyman 7mm RM seating die had its pin break this week, never had a problem with the lee). The powder dropper is solid. The fact that it's made in an hour up the road makes it all the better for me.

They make quality gear for the price. I see no reason to knock them. Is the scale the easiest to use? No. Once you learn how, it's one of the most accurate scales out there.

stu1ritter
09-03-2014, 06:16 AM
I just had my first broken Lee part. Bought a new 358-148-TL 6 gang mold a few weeks ago. Cranked up the pot and started casting. Just as they were coming out perfectly the opening lever broke?? WHAT? Only cast about 8 throws and suddenly the handle was in my hand. Over this holiday weekend I went to the Lee web site, looked up the warranty procedure and found that I could take a photo, fill out a form, so I did. E-mail from Lee first thing Tuesday morning, the part is in the mail, no questions asked. THAT is pretty good customer service in my book.
Stu

GoodOlBoy
09-03-2014, 07:04 AM
2 more things.

#1 I am now waiting to get approved for that facebook group!

#2 I do agree with some of what has been said about issues and lee's responses. I have had few issues EVER out of lee, but when I did the response was FAST and always positive and helpful. I WISH I could say that about other companies, but I just can't. Heck Twice I have asked for a minor part change for a lee loader and BOTH times lee not only complied, but did so at relatively LITTLE cost.

GoodOlBoy

Garyshome
09-03-2014, 08:35 AM
I would not be able to afford to reload if it wasn't for Lee stuff....But my Go To press's are Dillon/MEC

GhostHawk
09-03-2014, 08:51 AM
I have no issue with Lee, but you do need to take a good look at exactly what it is your buying, and what the competition costs.

Hand press, with the quick change bushings, love it. Hand priming tool saw too many bad reviews so went with the slightly more expensive RCBS one. My lee dies have worked flawlessly, as long as I remember to lube each case before sizing. Push through sizer is awesome. I just wish we could knock off a few bucks if we don't want the plastic and the alox.

Powder measure I have no idea as I still had my RCBS measure from the early 80's.

I will say that after taking a chance on a 10lb lee dipper pot that I love not having to make a mess in momma's kitchen, and being able to cast 50 or so on a whim so to speak. Plug it in, give it 15 min while I read here and go to work.

So No Lee bashing around here, I do wish they would bring back the old lee loaders for shotgun shells.
But no bashing.

bedbugbilly
09-03-2014, 09:14 AM
I re-load with a variety of brands - mostly Lee but do have some RCBS and Lyman.I find the Lee equipment to be excellent for the most part and have no real complaints on their reloading dies, presses, etc. I have been loyal to one of the vendors on here and have always ordered my Lee items throughout hem - they give outstanding service.

That said though - I recently put an order in for some molds, sizer dies, etc. I had one Lee mold come that should never have left the factory - alignment pin on the outer end of a DC mold was not even pressed through so it would engage the mating alignment hole. Handles were very loose and sloppy and when the blocks were aligned, the cavities were offset. The #@$%$ thing should never have left the factory nor gotten through quality control. I sent an e-mail to the vendor (who was very nice about it) and he contacted Lee - he advised me to forward photos to him and he would pass them on to Lee. Lee had my e-mail but I heard nothing from them - then or since. He forwarded a message he received from Lee which basically put the "blame" for these problems on me. They advised the vendor that I could return it to them (on my dime) and they would either repair it or replace it. Sorry . . . but I purchased a mold that was supposed to be "right" from the "get go". The problems were not my fault - I've been casting for 50 years and have used Lee molds for many years and have a number of them.

In the end, I emailed the vendor - thanked him for his efforts but politely told him I would not be returning it - I would leave it on my bench with a sign as a reminder of never to buy a Lee mold again unless I was desperate. The vendor offered to pay the return postage to him and he would replace it - I refused to do it as I don't expect the vendor to "eat it". I was in business for many years and know very well how a person has to "eat things" to keep the customer happy. Basically put - it wasn't the vendor's fault.

It's funny that I often see on here that some members are having to return molds to them as well. Enough returned should be a sign that there is a quality control problem somewhere.

The only other issue I have had with Lee stuff is their push through sizers. I like 'em. Inexpensive and they work well. But, I do have a problem when I get one that is supposed to be .358, is marked .358 yet sizes to .356. Again, somebody is not checking them somewhere along the line.

In any production facility, things will happen - doesn't make any difference if it is Lee, RCBS, Dillon or any other. Sometimes something slips through and that's to be expected.

Please don't take my post as "Lee bashing" . . . it isn't intended that way. I have been and will continue to be a user of Lee items. I was however, disappointed with the "customer service" that I got in terms of the defective mold I received. i don't buy a new car and expect to have to overhaul the engine before I use it and I don't expect to buy a new mold that is wrong from the beginning - and then have to send it back on my dime in order to make it right. Lee had my contact information (the vendor gave it to them) yet never made an effort to contact me to try and resolve the problem.

Again, the vendor was very good about it and has always given excellent service - I will continue to purchase from him and by Lee dies, etc. when needed. Molds though - unless I want a "cheap" mold to try a bullet out, sorry I'll pass. I'll spend the extra money and get one that I know will be right when I get it.

Again, I am not Lee bashing - they provide reloading items at a very reasonable price which allows many folks the opportunity to re-load. Like any make of equipment, if you use it for something that it wasn't intended for, it will break - so will RCBS, Dillon, etc. What it all boils down to is that it's "different strokes for different folks" - some like Chevy, some like Ford - both will get you whee you're going. Most folks usually base their purchases on their "experiences" though . . . and if you have a bad experience with a certain product, you tend to look elsewhere the next time you need it.

Guesser
09-03-2014, 09:20 AM
One thing about Lee carbide sizing dies that stands out for me. I've had the carbide ring pull out of RCBS, Hornady, and Redding straight wall hand gun sizing dies. I have never had that happen in a Lee die. My 38/357 and 44/44 Lee dies are 30 years old and still going. I was able to clean up and readhese the rings back in the others but they never should have come loose in the first place and they are all younger by at least 10 years than the Lee dies.

GoodOlBoy
09-03-2014, 09:32 AM
I agree 100% that I wish Lee would bring back the shotgun lee loaders. My press is actually a rcbs, but only because it was $15 at a garage sale. You can't really BEAT $15 for a single stage OLD rcbs press.

GoodOlBoy

rosewood
09-03-2014, 10:29 AM
I love Lee dies. I think the Lee factory crimp die and their collet neck sizer die is better than anything else on the market for the intended purpose. I do however like the easy disassemble of Dillon dies, they come apart with a clip and makes for easier cleaning without having to re-adjust. But Dillon cost more than I am willing to pay. By the way, Lee doesn't make a neck size die for 7-30 waters, but the 7mm-08 works perfectly.

Using Lee casting molds and they work very well. Only took me three casting sessions to learn how to make good bullets and I had never casted before. I did read the instruction manual thoroughly. First session I used pure of lead and they didn't fill out the mold well. Second time I was learning how hot to get the molds and how to pour to fill them. Third time was a charm. :)

Use a Dillon 550B for loading all cartridges. I recently started using a Lee Autodisk for pistol loads on the Dillon press and use the Dillon powder measure for rifles and those loads that need fine tuning.

I use a Lee Challenger for all rifle sizing operations, full length and neck. Seems easier to process rifle cases when you do it separately on a single stage. Also use if I need to decap before cleaning. Use it for swaging military brass and for "bulge busting" 40 S&W and 10MM brass if needed. The Lee Bulge buster works great in conjunction with the corresponding factory crimp die.

Use Hornady one shot lube for rifle cases and it is a good lube for all dies.

I use a Lyman universal cap die. Also use a Lyman accutrimmer with a Craftsman right angle impact driver to turn it (modification I made). Trims brass in 3 seconds instead of 20 with me cranking.

Use Pacific Tool and Die 7TCU because that is what I found a deal on. They work well.

Once had RCBS 40 S&W Dies, but sold them because I preferred the Lee with factory crimp. Nothing wrong with them though. I use the RCBS primer swaging tool in the Lee press.

Smart tool collet bullet puller.

Pact digital powder scale.

Frankford Arsenal tumbler.

MEC is the only company that makes shotgun presses. :mrgreen:

So basically, I am a lot like many others on here. I use the tool that works best for me on the given task and is within budget.

Rosewood

kenn
09-03-2014, 11:10 AM
Tons of Lee stuff here - including 5 sets of dies with mixed rifle and pistol. Broken sprue handle on two molds. Easily fixed. Annoying, yes, but Lee stuff is very affordable and most of it works and works well. What doesn't can be replaced with more expensive stuff.

tomme boy
09-03-2014, 11:30 AM
I use SOME Lee stuff. The dies are a good value. The finish might not be the best but they flat out work. I really do like the collet neck dies.

The molds, are either good or bad. The two cavity are way better than the old design. But they to need to have an upgrade on the sprue plate. The 6 cavity needs a better sprue plate too. The sintered metal is junk. Also the aluminum needs to be a different alloy. Way too soft the way it is now. BUT, that is why they are as cheap as they are.

I like the way you trim the brass with the rods that are cut to length. Some of the other gizmos are questionable.

1911KY
09-03-2014, 11:41 AM
Lee is just about all I own. Classic Turret kit, 45 acp 4 die set, 44 mag 4 die set, Lee Production Pot, 4 Lee 2 cavity bullet molds, 3 Lee sizing dies, Lee universal decapping die and Lee ladle.

It all works as intended for me. I can' t justify the extra expense right now for anything different, especially when what I have is working.

I will eventually upgrade my press to a 650 or LNL simply for productions sake. I prefer to compete on the range rather than with my equipment.

Charley
09-03-2014, 09:45 PM
Lee isn't perfect. Neither is anybody else! QC sometimes isn't the best, but OK for the price point. I wore one of Lee's classic aluminum turret presses sloppy years ago, using it for things it wasn't designed for. Currently have the cast iron turret and O frame for large dies. Have a Dillon for volume stuff, but usually use the Lee turret. Lee dies for most of my handgun cartridges, many rifle dies but also use RCBS, Redding, CH4D, and others. They all work. Use their trimmer system for everything common, a Lyman Accutrim for oddballs. Most of my molds are Lee, but also use RCBS, Lyman, and others. The only Lee product I really don't like is their scale.

psweigle
09-03-2014, 10:41 PM
No one on here will ever hear me bash lee products.....EVER! I still load with a lee loader and hammer. I trim with a ziptrim and lee case length guages. I weigh my powder with lee dippers and a lee scale. My sim
ngle stage press of choice is a lee hand press in a vice, or in my hand, IF I ever find one cheap enough. I will be casting with lee molds as well. but I love my lee loaders too much to get serious about finding one. There is something soothing about banging on explosives with a hammer:-)

MT Chambers
09-04-2014, 12:10 AM
No Lee stuff here, for what i do it needs to be very accurate and robust.

T-Man
09-04-2014, 03:33 AM
I have some Lee stuff, along with Hornady, RCBS, Dillon and Lyman. I won't try to fool myself into thinking that the Lee stuff is just as good as the other gear. It works (or it wouldn;t be on the bench). The Lee dies develop surface rust sitting alongside other dies that do not. Surface rust is cosmetic, and has nothing to do with making ammo (but it does reflect a different quality of steel). I've had some Lee stuff that was a pain to use (safety scale), didn't work for me (LCT) and a few other items (Lee trimmers) that didn't work as well as other stuff. On the other hand, I got plenty of Lee moulds and a Lee production pot that I like a lot. I'm a big fan of their Carbide Crimp Die, collet dies, hand loaders and the old handheld primer tool. OTOH, Lee dies have the shortest threaded portion available of any dies I've seen. So short in fact, that I've had to mount the locking ring UNDER the 550 toolhead because there was not enough threat left on top of the toolhead. I have a Lee push through sizer that sizes fine; but can't seat a gas check evenly. Lee quality control seems to be handled by return the product.

I guess having other brands on my bench gives me a way to compare them. If all you had was Lee, then it would be hard to compare their quality to anything else. If you want to see what a push through sizer can be, get one of Buckshots Lee style sizers. The workmanship on Buckshot's product is amazing, the accuracy is spot on, the quality control second to none, and he does it for the same price (or less) and in less time than Lee.

I agree with the assessment on the Safety Scale...I was never able to make the thing work right. IN as much as their bench mounted rotodump powder measure is concerned. I use the weigh and dump process. I start screwing the plunger in or out as the case may be, and then start weighing the charges until it hits the right mark, and then run a few more charges through the process. I finally hit on the idea of dimpling the plunger at the points where it drops the right charge for the powder used and fill in the dimple with a color associated with that particular charge. Then it's simply a matter of referring to the notebook and seeing whats what. Running it in or out to the color dot. Drop a charge or two and recheck on the digital scales and start dropping powder.

T-Man
09-04-2014, 03:35 AM
I have always wanted to set up a Pro1000. The only issue I have with it is that it only has 3 stations instead of 4. Eliminating the possibility of a factory crimp die. I wish Lee would engineer a 4 station Pro1000...

HangFireW8
09-04-2014, 11:43 AM
No Lee stuff here, for what i do it needs to be very accurate and robust.

Sigh. Not everything Lee makes is robust or a big winner, like the plastic scale. But I've case formed on the Lee Classic Cast "O" frame press and it has more leverage through the middle of the swing than my RockChucker, and more feel and the end of swing for bullet/boolit or primer seating.

I also shot my best 5 shot .222Rem group of .256" at 100 loaded with Lee dies before I upgraded too Redding. Redding gives me less eccentricity culls that is all.

But maybe all that is not accurate or robust enough for some. :)

Lee equipment is like anything else on my bench, it has to prove itself or go. I can afford the best now but still use their case trimmer with a drill driver or drill press when in volume mode, and various other pieces.

wallenba
09-04-2014, 11:49 AM
Lots of Lee stuff needs tweaking right out of the box. Do I buy it anyway? You bet! What I save makes up for a few minutes of my time.

A pause for the COZ
09-04-2014, 12:04 PM
2 more things.

#1 I am now waiting to get approved for that facebook group!

GoodOlBoy

MEEEEE Tooooo!!

gpidaho
09-04-2014, 12:09 PM
One simple tool from Lee that I REALLY like is the sizer that comes with there loader kits. I hate the thought of pulling the neck expanders back up through the neck of my brass while dangling down there on the decapper. I use my 30-30 lee whacka Mole sizer before the Lyman M-Die expansion step and it makes for very concentric rounds. Sorta like a poor mans Wilson hand die. GP

mac60
09-06-2014, 11:08 AM
I surley appreciate Lee.

EVERY reloader/handloader whether they use Lee equip. or not owes Richard Lee some gratitude simply because of what he's done for the hobby of reloading. JMHO!

tward
09-06-2014, 11:48 AM
Yep, Lee got me into reloading, 1961 $9.99 for a 12 gauge loader. A lot of money on a paper route paycheck. I still have that loader and a bunch of other Lee stuff. Just got some 45 colt dies, tweaked them, polished the expander and dry lubed it, opened the bottom of the expander die with a case chamfering tool and ready to go! Still have a single cavity 30 cal 170 gr mold, works fine! Love Lee Tim

r1kk1
09-06-2014, 03:27 PM
EVERY reloader/handloader whether they use Lee equip. or not owes Richard Lee some gratitude simply because of what he's done for the hobby of reloading. JMHO!

I gave my money for a product and it's gratitude enough. Pioneers in the field of reloading are Fred Huntington, Herter's, etc., etc., etc. My grandfather did not like Herter's as well as other companies at the time. My dad did. To each his own. There is nothing new or innovative in the reloading industry. Do a patent search and someone has been there and done that. Fascinating how old tools are. The LNL bushing is nothing new, someone on this forum posted a thread on a similar bushing dated 1970. Post sizing dies are not new, Dave from CH4D did post sizers/crimpers as early as 1970 and he will tell you they weren't anything new then. I noticed the great similarity to the Wamadet press to the RCBS Summit. I'm still waiting for something new and original to come out. Oh well. I'm currently working on a patent search on Wilson/CH4D lathe type case trimmer and so far it goes back to the 40s. The Lee case trimmer mounted to the press goes back to the Pacific version and that goes back to a version in the late 30s. Patent searches are exhausting.

I have owned every Lee press made with the exception of the CC series and progressives. All went back using the 30 day warranty minus the hand press. It has been with me since the 80s. It goes to the range and to the hunting grounds with me. I use the decapping die from Lee. Replaced one stem, on my dime, since the 80s. Works well from .22 to .45 and use a Sinclair for the stuff Lee doesn't do. My favorite Lee mould is a custom six cavity affair that drops 255 grain 44 magnum bullets. Hunted a lot of game with it and it screams out of my 10" barrel Dan Wesson. I have quite a few custom bullet sizers for different projects and then get that diameter made up for the Star or Lyman lubrisizer. I also have quite a few custom Lee moulds and the production R.E.A.L. bullet is a wonderful product. I like the series of moulds a lot. I have some production moulds go back or a refund. Lee DOES honor their 30-day money back guarantee.

I shoot quite a bit of obsolete and wildcat calibers. If I could find 33 Winchester (don't believe it's been made from 1930's), 38-56, 348, etc., it was the price of ammo that got me into reloading. Punching out wads for my uncle's 10 and 12 gauge's, (I did not see a one piece 12 gauge wad until the mid 70s), was many pleasurable hour's spent on the bench. My equipment spans four decades and is a very colorful bench indeed. If it works, it stays, if not, it's gone.

I don't fiddle around removing flash or whatever is needed to get a product to do as intended. It goes back. I didn't pay for that. I've had more QC issues with Lee compared to any other company I have bought from. I don't knock them. They are a business and either fix it or refund my money. Simple really.

I like the presses on my bench. Sold my MECs, the APEX (pissed at Hornady for selling all the replacement parts for it after only being five years old, to a company that went out of business). I don't own a Hornady or Lyman press. I like my Champion, Ultramag, CO-AX, Summit, and 450/550. They work well and I'm getting real attached to the Summit. The arbor press bushing conversion makes it nice to use Wilson dies. It's portable and mounted to a Rock Dock plate from a fellow member.

I do wish Lee would come out with a CC version of the Load-All. It needs serious update. Too many .410 handguns out there now. I will stick to the 375c model for all my 10-410 needs. The limited Lee die sets I have are modified by one gunsmith or another for a wildcat cartridge. Most of my dies are CH4D, RCBS, Hornady, and Redding. Some gunsmith's like RCBS, others like Hornady. They all work well for me.

The Challenger press was a surprise for me. Lee updated the linkage on the press which was very much needed. I never broke the frame, just the linkage. Richard and I spent many hours on the phone on this press. Too bad the steel upgraded linkage arrived two decades too late. Not much leverage but worked well until it was returned.

I'm not a Lee lover or hater. I spend my money and if it works great. If not, it goes down the road. My gratitude either leaves my hand or returns to it in greenbacks.

take care

r1kk1

kerreckt
09-08-2014, 03:43 PM
I am no authority but own a fair bit of Lee stuff. I also, own stuff made by their competitors. Lee makes good stuff. Especially, when you consider the price.I think some folks just like to complain and have made Lee their "whipping boy". Their cast iron classic press is equal or better than any of the others. I know this will stir up some folks but that has been my experience. Some folks equate price with quality and Lee has them confused.

Geezer in NH
09-08-2014, 09:39 PM
I changed my main press from a Redding C to a Lee classic cast a few years ago. I cannot be happier. Lee powder measures I pass I will stick with my Redding Bench measure.

Dies? I use what works best, Lees are very good at better prices than most others. I love the collet dies for 303 brit and all the factory crimps.

For forming dies they lack but when you get the thing formed their custom dies are the best purchase.

For cast bullet molds the are very affordable no matter what ever casters say.

The big capacity molds are the best buy I have ever seen. So they have some problems they will help fix them for way less than the others when you are done.

Thank you Lee Precision from us common folks.

3jimbo3
09-09-2014, 01:18 PM
I started out with a Lee press and have loaded thousands of rounds with it. I have some RCBS stuff as well. I'm not a fan of the Lee scales or their powder dropper, I prefer the RCBS Uniform and I use their 510 scales. I plan to buy in the near future a somewhat progressive press, maybe a turret press from Lee or on here if i find one. When it comes to dies I'm Lee all the way here. I am definitely a Lee fan.

3jimbo3
09-09-2014, 01:26 PM
I started out with a Lee press and have loaded thousands of rounds with it. I have some RCBS stuff as well. I'm not a fan of the Lee scales or their powder dropper, I prefer the RCBS Uniform and I use their 510 scales. I plan to buy in the near future a somewhat progressive press, maybe a turret press from Lee or on here if i find one. When it comes to dies I'm Lee all the way here. I am definitely a Lee fan.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-09-2014, 01:46 PM
I am currently one of the Admin's on a FB User Group titled "Lee Reloading and Casting Equipment". The group was stated specifically by a gentleman that wanted to create a place for Lee users to exchange tips and tricks without being looked down upon. We have recently passed the 6000 member mark (Sunday), the group is lively and active with a broad range of user experience/inexperience and a fairly wide demographic.
I was unaware of such a group...
I just clicked the join button

r1kk1
09-10-2014, 08:59 PM
I changed my main press from a Redding C to a Lee classic cast a few years ago.

Can you post a picture of the Redding C press? I don't think I've seen one.

Take care

r1kk1

Sghinds
09-11-2014, 05:05 PM
I use what works for me, regardless of maker. I have products from most of the big guys, and if they perform they stay. If I use it and it does not make my job better or easier, it gets a new home and I find a new one that will do what I need it to do.

mac60
09-11-2014, 08:01 PM
Can you post a picture of the Redding C press? I don't think I've seen one.

Take care

r1kk1

r1kk1 - It was called the standard c press model #7 and was being manufactured at least up until the late 60's.

r1kk1
09-11-2014, 08:07 PM
r1kk1 - It was called the standard c press model #7 and was being manufactured at least up until the late 60's.

Thanks I appreciate the answer. I have the Ultramag II which is a hybrid C & O press design. I bought it used but it was NIB for 100 bucks out of the paper. It wears a Hornady LNL bushing now.

ive seen some very heavy old C presses.

Take care

r1kk1

Lefty Red
09-12-2014, 10:02 PM
LEE fan boy here! I look toward LEE stuff before I look else where. I do use Lyman Taper Crimp Dies when needed.
And Hornady Die Lock Rings.
I will go on the record that Lee Reload Scale sucks and I wouldn't give it to my worste enemy. Well, maybe my ex's lawyer could use it! :)

Jerry

engineer401
09-12-2014, 11:54 PM
I am currently one of the Admin's on a FB User Group titled "Lee Reloading and Casting Equipment". The group was stated specifically by a gentleman that wanted to create a place for Lee users to exchange tips and tricks without being looked down upon.

I find it sad some Lee users may feel looked down upon. It also seems to me some Lee users look down upon those who don't like their products. I specifically remember some individuals declaring those of us who don't like the crimp dies by not understanding the products concept. Trust me, I understand dies. We get it but don't like them any way. I like the Lee hand priming tool. It is reliable and effective. I purchased the 10# drip-o-matic to get into casting and replaced it with the RCBS model. I haven't looked back. Some of us prefer to purchase Lee products. We all should respect that. Some of us do not like Lee products and prefer other brands. We should respect that. We shouldn't snipe one another because we prefer Chevys over Fords or Toyotas. We have others out there who want to take it all away. If I said anything to offend Lee owners, I apologiize. If I prefer other brands, please respect it. We need to keep our eyes on the ball or on those who don't respect he US Constitution.

Thank you for entertaining my sort of rant.

Tar Heel
09-13-2014, 03:38 AM
Lots of Lee products on my loading and casting bench. I complained once and then did what Lee told me to do with the mold and guess what? It worked great and as advertised. It seems that most grumbling I see here and on other venues is caused by misuse or user error. When I did have a failure with the priming tool, Lee corrected it immediately.

Bottom line is I have a lot of their products and will continue to buy their products. Bash away if you wish to.

koehlerrk
09-13-2014, 08:27 AM
My first press was a Lee single stage... still have it. Eventually the cast aluminum handle broke, I called them up, said I'd had the press for 3-4 years now, they told me I could either get an exact replacement handle for free, or upgrade to the newer steel model, and I'd only have to pay the difference between the value of the old handle and the new one. They charged me like $10 for the upgrade, and sent it to me. That was 8 years ago, new handle is still going strong.

I really wanted to like their progressive press, but with the mickey-mouse primer feed, and at the bottom, so spilled powder always falls into it, I said no thanks. I bought a used Dillon SDB instead and have no regrets.

Now, I really liked their old round hand priming tool... the new square one, not so much.

zuke
09-13-2014, 09:07 AM
The first powder scale I bought was a LEE. Now 30 year's later I still have and use it, it's my only scale. I've found it settle's down a lot quicker now but it's still as accurate as it was when new.

Garyshome
09-14-2014, 11:52 PM
Lee makes some good stuff, but everyone else makes Better stuff, but it also costs more!

DEC505
09-16-2014, 10:34 PM
MEEEEE Tooooo!!

Me also

GoodAlloy
09-16-2014, 11:05 PM
Pound per dollar value you can't beat LEE products. However, if ultimate quality and tight tolerances are your cup of tea then you might be disapionted in thier products. I think that LEE having low cost products keep the other makers a little more honest. Really comes down to how much use you are looking to get out of a product compared to how much cost you will incure for the product. As for quality in my opinion LEE tolerances are no worse than Lyman, maybe even little better. I for one am very glad that Mr. Lee does what he does.

451whitworth
09-17-2014, 09:17 AM
Pound per dollar value you can't beat LEE products. However, if ultimate quality and tight tolerances are your cup of tea then you might be disapionted in thier products. I think that LEE having low cost products keep the other makers a little more honest. Really comes down to how much use you are looking to get out of a product compared to how much cost you will incure for the product. As for quality in my opinion LEE tolerances are no worse than Lyman, maybe even little better. I for one am very glad that Mr. Lee does what he does.
I too think Lee helps keep market prices in check for the other manufactures which is good because the other manufactures' products are what I buy. The Lee products I own are FC dies (love those), powder funnel, and powder dipper set. As for those who buy Lee molds and get a good one I say "good for you", those who complain when they get a bad one I say "what did you expect for 3-5 times less money than everybody else".

jcwit
09-17-2014, 09:39 AM
I too think Lee helps keep market prices in check for the other manufactures which is good because the other manufactures' products are what I buy. The Lee products I own are FC dies (love those), powder funnel, and powder dipper set. As for those who buy Lee molds and get a good one I say "good for you", those who complain when they get a bad one I say "what did you expect for 3-5 times less money than everybody else".

I must be one lucky little pup in your mind, I have 10 or 12 Lee molds and the only one that is bad is one I tried to modify.

I expected good value just as I do with their other products.

BTW, I been casting since the 60's, so its nothing new to me.

451whitworth
09-17-2014, 09:57 AM
I must be one lucky little pup in your mind, I have 10 or 12 Lee molds and the only one that is bad is one I tried to modify.

I expected good value just as I do with their other products.

BTW, I been casting since the 60's, so its nothing new to me.
I don't know if you're lucky or not as I have no direct experience with the pass/fail rate of Lee molds. The firearms I play with are not the run of the mill popular calibers like 9mm, 40 S&W, 44 mag, 45acp, 30-30, 30.06 etc. Because of that Lee molds offer no real buying choices
for me.

jcwit
09-19-2014, 11:34 PM
I don't know if you're lucky or not as I have no direct experience with the pass/fail rate of Lee molds. The firearms I play with are not the run of the mill popular calibers like 9mm, 40 S&W, 44 mag, 45acp, 30-30, 30.06 etc. Because of that Lee molds offer no real buying choices
for me.

Thats not how you put it in your post! You implied something completely different.

451whitworth
09-20-2014, 09:07 AM
Thats not how you put it in your post! You implied something completely different.
you read minds? Are you lucky? After all the dissatisfied reviews you read about Lee molds I find it hard to believe people still complain about them. At Midsouth Shooter Supply a 2 cavity mold is $17+ change. Should is surprise anyone that bad examples exist? If you get a good one it's the best deal going.

jcwit
09-20-2014, 10:02 AM
you read minds? Are you lucky? After all the dissatisfied reviews you read about Lee molds I find it hard to believe people still complain about them. At Midsouth Shooter Supply a 2 cavity mold is $17+ change. Should is surprise anyone that bad examples exist? If you get a good one it's the best deal going.

Then for 10 or 12 times I have been one lucky pup.

BTW I ordered a new Corvette once that was a lemon. Price of an item is not the deciding factor of quality, I learned this from years being a Procurement Officer in the RV industry.

Bad examples exist in all products regardless of the price point.

EDG
09-25-2014, 10:29 PM
If it really tickles you I have 6 or 7 sets of dies you can buy.
I think most Lee users are relatively new to handloading meaning less than 20 years.
Lee has produced a few good gadgets but for the most part his stuff is not outstanding other than it is cheap to purchase.
I started loading before Lee made any presses or dies - just the whack a mole tool.

I guess the point is I was happy with most tools before Lee came along and for the most part Lee offers nothing of significant benefit and in some cases they are much worse. Much of Lee's efforts at innovation are what is called market differentiating features. They make Lee look different enough to be noticed. Like the round die boxes. They are krapola. They offer little utility, they are hard to store without wasting space, the tops are are to keep on right or they are difficult to pull off. You will noticed it too years for Lee to admit that was a screw up. I have a half dozen round die boxes if you want to pay $2 each and the postage. Heck you cannot even ship the turkeys in a small flat rate box.
Now to Lee dies. Lee made a big deal of rubber O rings and finger adjustment on the lock rings and seater stem.
Then on the decapping punch you need a 3/4" wrench and a 7/16" just to pull the decapper out so you can clean the die out. The stupid rubber O rings on the main die lock rings are a complete joke and Lee has to know it but will not change.
But notice the breech lock adapters and the breech lock ring eliminator. I guess secretly Lee wishes he could get rid of those rubber O rings. I like to set my dies to the nearest .001 and keep that setting forever. That precision insures that the cases will last nearly forever. There is no forever with Lee's rubber O ring lock rings. I doubt that you ever get the same headspace twice.

The Lee seater stinks for short stubby bullets. Try a 45-70 seater with a 300 grain bullet.
Ditto for the short expander on all the dies for staightwall cases. I know there are a lot of the guys the get a long fine with them but they have probably never pulled a cast bullet to see how much they are damaged.

The Lee powder scale is not worth the postage to ship across country - if you want it offer me $10 for it. They are better than nothing for a newbie - but give a newbie an old Pacific, Ohaus, RCBS. Bair or Hornady scale and they will never use the Lee again. The Lees are cheap and will get you started but if you started before Lee you will never like of them.

I don't use a measure much so I will not comment on the Lee measure.
Want to load shot shells - don't waste your money buy a MEC. Even a used 50 year old MEC.
Want the best case trimmer - buy a Forster.
Bullet puller - What does Lee make?

It tickles me to see how much Lee gets pounded on most any forum...yet when their stuff comes up for sale, it is snatched up quicker than just about any other brand. In fact, Lee had to spend a dookie load of cash to expand their operations just to keep up with their order volume. I have always used lee. It requires constant tinkering to keep it rolling. Some times their ideas are poorly executed, but all in all, they put out good products. You just have to work through the trials and tribulations until you find the system that works for you...I guess the point is, why bother with putting down a product line if your secretly gonna use it anyway

VHoward
09-25-2014, 11:25 PM
I find these Lee love fest thread just as annoying as the Lee bashing threads.

jmort
09-25-2014, 11:26 PM
I heart Lee Precision.

brtelec
09-26-2014, 05:18 AM
I have to agree with VHoward. The only thing I find more amusing than the effort spent trying to dislike something and express it in a forum, is how incensed the others get when their choice of product is attacked. Very funny.

jcwit
09-27-2014, 12:39 PM
If it really tickles you I have 6 or 7 sets of dies you can buy.
I think most Lee users are relatively new to handloading meaning less than 20 years.
Lee has produced a few good gadgets but for the most part his stuff is not outstanding other than it is cheap to purchase.
I started loading before Lee made any presses or dies - just the whack a mole tool.

I guess the point is I was happy with most tools before Lee came along and for the most part Lee offers nothing of significant benefit and in some cases they are much worse. Much of Lee's efforts at innovation are what is called market differentiating features. They make Lee look different enough to be noticed. Like the round die boxes. They are krapola. They offer little utility, they are hard to store without wasting space, the tops are are to keep on right or they are difficult to pull off. You will noticed it too years for Lee to admit that was a screw up. I have a half dozen round die boxes if you want to pay $2 each and the postage. Heck you cannot even ship the turkeys in a small flat rate box.
Now to Lee dies. Lee made a big deal of rubber O rings and finger adjustment on the lock rings and seater stem.
Then on the decapping punch you need a 3/4" wrench and a 7/16" just to pull the decapper out so you can clean the die out. The stupid rubber O rings on the main die lock rings are a complete joke and Lee has to know it but will not change.
But notice the breech lock adapters and the breech lock ring eliminator. I guess secretly Lee wishes he could get rid of those rubber O rings. I like to set my dies to the nearest .001 and keep that setting forever. That precision insures that the cases will last nearly forever. There is no forever with Lee's rubber O ring lock rings. I doubt that you ever get the same headspace twice.

The Lee seater stinks for short stubby bullets. Try a 45-70 seater with a 300 grain bullet.
Ditto for the short expander on all the dies for staightwall cases. I know there are a lot of the guys the get a long fine with them but they have probably never pulled a cast bullet to see how much they are damaged.

The Lee powder scale is not worth the postage to ship across country - if you want it offer me $10 for it. They are better than nothing for a newbie - but give a newbie an old Pacific, Ohaus, RCBS. Bair or Hornady scale and they will never use the Lee again. The Lees are cheap and will get you started but if you started before Lee you will never like of them.

I don't use a measure much so I will not comment on the Lee measure.
Want to load shot shells - don't waste your money buy a MEC. Even a used 50 year old MEC.
Want the best case trimmer - buy a Forster.
Bullet puller - What does Lee make?

Being as you dislike Lee so much why do you allow their products take up space, why not just throw them away, well maybe recycle the material.

One thing you do forget tho, if it was not for Lee the reloading community would be much smaller and prices would not be kept in check by their competition with others in the industry.

As the saying goes, different strokes for different folks.

And the beat goes on.

GhostHawk
09-27-2014, 12:50 PM
I've pulled cast bullets to see how much they were damaged.

I've also flared the mouth of my cases after learning exactly how much those nice clean lube grooves can be "blurred" by seating.

And I have learned to reverse the insert on the seating die so it doesn't leave rings on my lead boolits.

Are Lee the absolute best across the board, no.

I do think that in most cases they are the best for the price point.

A 50$ press, a 30$ set of dies, a 20$ mold and a 17$ sizing die gives you the ability to not only reload, but to cast and size your own boolits.
Instead of paying 12-20 cents per boolit you are spending 2-3 cents for a gas check and casting them yourself.

What other system by what other manufacturer will let you do all that lee does for anywhere close to the same price point?
Any other mold is going to be double if not quadruple. If you can afford it that is fine, that is your choice. And it may, or may not cast better than my 20$ Lee mold.

And that is what really is biting some people's butt's.

Lee brought the whole casting, reloading game into reach of the average person.
That is a positive in my book, but if you were once a member of a semi elite group, I can see where it would be a negative.

buggybuilder
09-27-2014, 08:54 PM
I'll take a Lee mold any day!! Had a casting session this weekend and after 1 hr. I had a half attempt of having a good wadcutter bullet with a Ideal mold for my .38 special. After 4 hrs. I had about 150 bullets. I cast some 170 gr bullets for my .308 and could do about 200 per hr. and they were all good. The Ideal will hit the swap list soon!!

burrkiss
09-28-2014, 12:56 AM
I have a Lee Classic single stage, a 4 hole turret and a LM. I know Lee is a bit on the finicky side, but considering what the price gap is from a LM to a top end Dillon, I am very happy with 3 Lees.

myg30
09-28-2014, 11:31 AM
I like Lee and all the other brands too. Do I like saving money yes. Do I buy from the swap shop here yes. As others posted if it works it stays ! If you no like, you sell !

A plumber once told my mom, Your S## T is my bread and butter !

If there is one member on here that has Never purchased and returned ANY product (TV,radio,printer, blender, etc) for any reason I'd be surprised. Same goes for reloading products

Does GM not have recalls, issues ? Ford ?
BMW seems to have the service bays full ! Dillon gets lots of credit for its life time warranty. So does this mean "their " products never break ? New defects ?

Our country as a whole is changing. No accountability, lack of leadership and management !
It just seems to be the normal now to buy and return ! Throw away and replace !

Ok I'm finished, Mike

r1kk1
09-28-2014, 09:36 PM
Hey jcwit,

You said:

"One thing you do forget tho, if it was not for Lee the reloading community would be much smaller and prices would not be kept in check by their competition with others in the industry."

I disagree. Factory ammo pricing, limited selection of loads and wanting something where the shooter can handcraft and carefully assemble ammunition brings people to reloading/handloading. Lee die selections are very limited. I like my 10 gauge, 500 Linebaugh, various .17s and .20s. I'm getting a progressive shotshell loader soon. So how does Lee keep prices in check for stuff they don't make or even the stuff they do? Sorry jcwit I don't buy that.

"As the saying goes, different strokes for different folks."

I totally agree with you on that!

OK.

GhostHawk

You stated,

"I've also flared the mouth of my cases after learning exactly how much those nice clean lube grooves can be "blurred" by seating."

Yep. Cast boolits make lousy expanders. There is a difference between expanding and flaring dies.

"I do think that in most cases they are the best for the price point."

Equipment is amortized over its lifetime or sold off. A concept that seems lost to people in these threads. I'm into 6 figures of ammo loaded on a progressive and still going strong. Got my money out of it and then some. It's not a Lee, came out before the LM by a decade.

"What other system by what other manufacturer will let you do all that lee does for anywhere close to the same price point?"

Ever hear of Herter's? My grandfather hated them, my dad loved them.

"Any other mold is going to be double if not quadruple. If you can afford it that is fine, that is your choice. And it may, or may not cast better than my 20$ Lee mold."

Lee doesn't make nearly what they used to in different moulds. They use to make 22 caliber, 6mm, 25 cal, 6.5, 270 moulds as a regular catalog item. They have trimmed back considerably since the 80s. I have a custom 6 cavity 44 caliber 255 grain mould that cost 125.00. Mighty fine mould. It's a custom Lee mould. I have a couple dozen moulds that are custom Lee stuff as well as Rapine, NEI, Lyman, RCBS, Hoch, SAECO, etc., etc., and all have something the other company did not have. A bullet weight or style that was not available elsewhere. Some companies do large calibers very well.

"And that is what really is biting some people's butt's."

I disagree. VHoward's post statement says it all.

"Lee brought the whole casting, reloading game into reach of the average person."
No. Predates Lee. I still use a cast iron pot over a turkey burner coupled with a Roswell ladle and a very old Lyman thermometer. The pot (one of a couple dozen) will hold 50 lbs of lead. Using BruceB speed casting technique you can drop gobs of bullets within an hour. BTW, I have quite a few moulds over 35 years of collecting picked up a gun shows and yard sales for a song and dance. I have paid as little as $1 for some to around 20 dollars for others. Also LsStuff has a quart of Alox for around 12.00, much cheaper than Lee.

buggybuilder,

Quotes are yours as my answer's are not,

"Had a casting session this weekend and after 1 hr. I had a half attempt of having a good wadcutter bullet with a Ideal mold for my .38 special. After 4 hrs. I had about 150 bullets. I cast some 170 gr bullets for my .308 and could do about 200 per hr. and they were all good. The Ideal will hit the swap list soon!!"

If it's an Ideal mould I will be looking for it! What number is stamped on the mould?

Each mould has it's own personality. Temp, and even alloy as well as bullet type, coupled with what the mould is made of will make a session enjoyable or painful. Hollowpoint moulds as well as some hollow base moulds can be a bear to deal with in pure lead form but a little tin goes a long way. I use a casting thermometer and keep notes of numerous moulds I own.

burrkiss

"I know Lee is a bit on the finicky side, but considering what the price gap is from a LM to a top end Dillon, I am very happy with 3 Lees."

burrkiss, you might as well compare the LM to a Camdex. You went apples to oranges real quick on this. The LM does not swage primer pockets as part of the loading sequence. It is also not a commercial machine. It's not an 8 station press. This comparison is about the same as my wife's SUV and a KenWorth. Both tow trailers but that's about it. Big differences between them.

Yes, I have to agree with VHoward. I have stuff from all current manufacturers plus a few of the old but goodies. Buckshot makes push through sizers plus other things so no more waiting on the Custom services to be open for me. I'll stick to group by moulds no matter the brand. It's probably a weight or bullet style I'm after. Still waiting on the 327 Sledgehammer mould.

take care,

r1kk1

gunoil
09-28-2014, 11:41 PM
I have dillon 1050, Lee loadmaster, and a Lee loadmaster decapping monster. All 3 incredible.

For Lee's Loadmaster to work you have to visit: mikesreloadingbench.com

I have all mike's stuff.

Below: My spare lee loadmaster is decapping monster, really fast/4 tube collator/olde Dillon counter from pawn shop works great/lee uni-decaper die. Holds thousands of primers before l empty. Lee (K-3) uni-neck expander die, adjust w/fingers.

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/B9B68C99-2DDC-4ADD-98F8-73222FB94829_zpsr1a5fljl.jpg (http://s1113.photobucket.com/user/putt2012/media/B9B68C99-2DDC-4ADD-98F8-73222FB94829_zpsr1a5fljl.jpg.html)

jcwit
09-30-2014, 06:07 AM
Hey jcwit,

You said:

"One thing you do forget tho, if it was not for Lee the reloading community would be much smaller and prices would not be kept in check by their competition with others in the industry."

I disagree. Factory ammo pricing, limited selection of loads and wanting something where the shooter can handcraft and carefully assemble ammunition brings people to reloading/handloading. Lee die selections are very limited. I like my 10 gauge, 500 Linebaugh, various .17s and .20s. I'm getting a progressive shotshell loader soon. So how does Lee keep prices in check for stuff they don't make or even the stuff they do? Sorry jcwit I don't buy that.

r1kk1

Whatever, I gues we'll just have to agree to disagree. But really I think you fail to completely understand the full meaning of compation in the business world.

garym1a2
09-30-2014, 08:24 AM
My bench has 3 lee presses on it.
I find these Lee love fest thread just as annoying as the Lee bashing threads.

OBIII
10-03-2014, 12:07 AM
I think some people are missing the point of the OP's original premise: i.e., some people will "bash" things without any consideration other than the name. I have Lee presses, Lee molds, Lee sizing dies, as well as many other things Lee. I also have molds, dies, and presses from competitors. Receiving a product from a vendor, testing it, finding it wanting, and posting your results is NOT "bashing". For the poster who had a mold that was useless, how many different times did you contact Lee about the problem? I may be special, but I have always received excellent service from Lee's Customer Service. Can you say that you have never received adequate satisfaction from a company over one of their products that you have purchased? Sometimes it takes a while to get to the right person, but do not "bash" a company based on one or two yahoo's that probably no longer work there. Let us all work together to rate the quality products (price not important) that we buy as well as those that are dysfunctional.

OB

dikman
10-04-2014, 07:13 AM
Can you say that you have never received adequate satisfaction from a company over one of their products that you have purchased? Sometimes it takes a while to get to the right person
OB

Yep, I reckon I qualify. Company is Lee, and Mr John Lee didn't even have the courtesy to reply to the letter I sent him.