PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes life is good!

Handloader109
09-01-2014, 10:20 PM
Just got through unloading from a trip down to MS and back. Stopped on the way and met a great guy who traded me a Dillon 650XL for my AK. Thanks to the guys who offered that used press should get about 80% value. With what I had in my gun originally, plus items I'd added, along with almost $200 in ammo, I had about $950 in value. Dillon owner has spent about $1100 on the press. So, we were close in value. I think, at least in my mind, that we both ended up with that we wanted. I don't have anywhere to shoot the AK, pistol range is only close place, and the OP wanted something to shoot, no time to reload.
So, I unloaded the press tonight. BTW, press has never seen powder, and consequently wasn't used. Pristine new condition. The powder feeder still had the paperwork inside. Did I mention he had bought a second feeder for the 223 dies he had never even broken the seal on? And he had bought the optional scale, Lyman 49th manual, and caliper. Threw in a box of 1000 115gr bullets, and three boxes of CCI primers. Dang, that is almost $200 over his estimate for just those two items. I haven't gotten to the bottom of the box yet, might be some more treasure.
At any rate, I gave him everything I had for the AK, could have probably not traded a couple of extra mags and sold elsewhere, but I thought I might not be matching his press. I'm quite surprised with everything he threw in, could have for sure sold the extra powder feeder and other items but he didn't do that either. Great trade for me, and I hope for him. Now I only have to find a place to set the thing up! Anyone have any suggestions or hints not to miss on the 650xl? Thanks for reading John

VHoward
09-01-2014, 10:36 PM
Make sure it is a sturdy bench you mount it to. You don't want a lot of shaking.

Handloader109
09-02-2014, 07:58 AM
I've got that. Unfortunately, I'll have to stand to use it with the strongmount. Limited space in my garage. One day a new house with a shop. :-?

LUBEDUDE
09-02-2014, 01:16 PM
Congrats on your trade.

Welcome to Blue. :)

Weaponologist
09-02-2014, 04:39 PM
Sounds like you did very well in your trade.. Your going to love your Dillon...Congratulations

Handloader109
09-02-2014, 05:16 PM
So far so good. Day off, wet and stormy. Good day to set up the press. Spent about 4 hours taking apart and resetting everything. PO had a few things installed wrong, and I spent about an hour playing with it. Deprimed a few, had a bunch already deprimed, so I decided to play with it one step at a time. Primed a hundred, then set the other dies and put some powder in the hopper. Used the scale, worked really well. Much easier to work with than the little red one. Decided to use the Berry's that came with the press to use them up. Had a previous load that worked well with Red Dot so that's what I used. Bit disappointed that the case movement will shake out a flake or two every few cycles, but I won't use too much of this powder. Both primer and powder (case) alarm worked well. Actual reload time is minimal as compared to a single stage. Anyone have an EASY way to change powders? That is one thing that I'll have to get used to as it looks like it will take a while to change from one powder to another. Looks like the Lee will be used for load development with new powder. One other kind of glitch is I kept having hanging case. Wouldn't drop into the hole everytime. Would have to push the casefeed arm to make the case drop into the body. Plastic bushing is there, right one for the 9mm and so is the small bushing. Got better the more I ran, so it might just need breaking in. Overall, it looks to be pretty sweet.