PDA

View Full Version : Technique with Lyman #15 and unique powder - how to get more consistency?

kenn
09-01-2014, 03:18 PM
I'm playing with Universal for the first time. I've been using a lyman #55 to measure bullseye and it meters extremely well. Since I've not had to go above 4.2gr, I've not had to use the large or medium opening -- just the top. I consistenly get 4.2 +- .1 gr max with every throw of Bullseye. Not so with unique. I need about 15 grains or so. I've tried opening the small screw all the way and that only gets me about 9gr. I tried opening up the middle screw about 1/2 inch and then adjusting to top one until I was getting my measure but it is usually +- 1 full grain and sometimes a little more. Should I open the middle and top so they stay together? What technique have you used to get more consistent with a #55 and the larger unique powder? I am tapping at the top and bottom of the stroke and that helps a bit but it's still pretty random.

09-01-2014, 04:26 PM
Others may use different techniques, but this has given me the best consistency:
Adjust the top slide so that it is even with the edge of the middle slide, then adjust only the middle slide till it drops the desired weight.

That said, Unique is not the best metering powder, but its versatility easily overcomes it. Additionally, I weigh and trickle each charge, so don't find Unique to be any more bothersome than any other powder.