PDA

View Full Version : Building a Flinter

smokemjoe
01-30-2008, 02:31 PM
Building a 54 cal. flinter, De hass barrel. 1-66 twist, 36 in. long as of now its in a piece of cherry full lenght wood and got the Siler lock inletted. I have a under rib for it or can leave it full lenght in wood, Lancaster style stock and I could shape it for something else. I have to buy brass ramrod timbles for it and a brass nose cap. This is no. 36 rifle and I havent shot the last 6 rifles I made, I hate to buy more brass parts as I could cut it down to a 1/2 stock and make a Lehmans or Vincent out of it, My question is I guess, Was they ever any 1/2 stock rifles made in a Flinter. Thanks for reading. Joe

madcaster
01-30-2008, 02:57 PM
Joe,
Individuality was kinda a trademark in the colonial days it seems,so why not now?Somewheres thre is sure to have been one.
You may want to check out the American Longrifles Board for a much better answer.
How about some pictures of your workmanship?

fishhawk
01-30-2008, 03:03 PM
a short fullstock of that type would have been known as a "michigan" rifle they realy do look rather nice if there is good figure in the maple and even look good in cherry

northmn
01-30-2008, 03:21 PM
There were 1/2 stock flintlocks made, especially during the transition period from percussion to flint. Also some 1/2 stocks were repairs made to full stocks that broke out in that area. If you wish to be truly authentic, the later 1/2 stocks tended to use the Manton style rain proof flintlocks and not the early pre 1800 vintage Siler. Some of the Southern mountain rifles used a variety of parts and could be used in full stock without buying all the extra brass as the ramrod pipes are relatively easy to make and you do not need a nose cap. Some did not have a butplate and you could even weld up a trigger guard. I've made a couple of spare part rifles out of what was left over from other projects, stuff picked up here and there and changes of mind. None followed any particular style but were nice rifles. One I still use to hunt deer with. If you are building a hunting rifle for yourself it isn't that big of a deal. The rifles I used to build were often copied for others out of a book and were more authentic. Also, at shoots, I liked to carry "show" models, mostly to sell so I could build another. Good shooting have fun.

Guido4198
01-30-2008, 08:54 PM
Weren't some of the Hawken bros. rifles built with flintlocks...???

smokemjoe
01-31-2008, 02:39 AM
I may order the 3 parts I need in brass and go in a full stock flinter, It burns me up the price that the parts will cost, Years back, 1986, I could get a hand full of parts for 3 guns what it cost me today. I seen it comming , I bought enought parts to built 15 rifles, wood, barrels, and ect. sure glade I did now but now my hands are worning out now, But the shine still tast good yet.

northmn
01-31-2008, 10:42 AM
There was an early S&J Hawken fullstock found that appeared to be converted from flint. Considering that Hawkens were handbuilt rifles made to a customers desires so that Sam and Jake could eat, there likely were a few flintlocks built. We sometimes forget the times in which about everything made was in some respects custom. They probably used the later English style rain-proof locks with the round backs. Also, the Hawken brothers built some local use rifles that were not built the same as the classic Western rifle. Some claim that the TC Hawken is similar to that type of rifle. The "typical" Hawken is thought to be a percussion. As Hawkens are very similar to Southern Mountain rifles one could go that way and be historically correct.
I appreciate the higher costs for building a new rifle. I still have parts left over to build a couple of rifles except for a barrel or lock. CVA used to sell whole rifles for what a good barrel or lock costs. The spare parts guns I built have given good service and are still good examples of what could have been. One I built was well liked by the buyer because it shot well for him. What we know about muzzle-loaders is considered by some to be biased toward the better guns. Consider the survival rate and the fact that the more utilitarian weapons did not have a very high survival rate as compared to the more elaborate guns and there likely was more plain guns or guns with earlier parts used than we know. One barrel marked S&J Hawken was said to be found used as a fencepost. Were I in your place Smokemjoe I would likely buy the parts just because a more "authentic" rifle could be worth more if I tried to sell it. Good shooting have fun.

Northmn