PDA

View Full Version : Lee shotgun loader

3jimbo3
09-01-2014, 11:54 AM
Has anyone ever used the Lee shotgun loader and like it? I have been looking at getting one, I don't shoot shotguns a lot, but I would still like to load up a few to shoot from time to time. I use to have a Mec but it amazingly turned into a stainless 38 special. I didn't load but about 200 rounds a year on it so I thought it was a good trade. I was just wondering about the Lee's for some light use. What's your opinion?

flyingmonkey35
09-01-2014, 12:52 PM
I use a Lee load all II

Works great. Its a bit slower but I have no complaints.

I found for me anyway that federal hulls crimp the best on it.

I only load many a few hundred a month.

So I don't need to crank em out.

[emoji205]

jmort
09-01-2014, 01:08 PM
I use mine for hull conditioning/priming. Works great for that, slugs, buck, ball.

dudel
09-01-2014, 02:10 PM
I have one, and it does what I need it to do. Low volume shot/slug reloading. The hardest part for me is getting the crimp started. You need to get the crimp starter aligned with existing crimps or the result is UGLY. A pivoting/rotating crimp starter might help. Once you get past that, it works fine. Slow but fine. I find the powder / shot bushing a bother to change; but they all seem to use a similar mechanism. Manual priming isn't much fun (have not tried the primer feed); but it works. Would like it if it could be converted to .410; but not many (if any) of the expensive ones can claim to do that either. Good value for the money spent.

If my volume goes up; I'll probably be looking at a MEC; but for now the Lee does just fine.

Garyshome
09-02-2014, 06:04 PM
I have used one then I got a MEC and I have a Lee load all 2 for sale now.

troyboy
09-03-2014, 06:32 PM
Mine works as designed. Use it for slugs and buckshot. Like anything there is a learning curve. Once mastered works well.

r1kk1
09-06-2014, 03:49 PM
gone, gone, gone. That and the Load-Fast were not popular with me.

take care

r1kk1

James6406
09-06-2014, 07:35 PM
I have the lee with primer feed and an old mec 600. My experiences with the Lee is the primer feed leaves a lot to be desired. Due to poor feeds in the chute it would be faster for me to place the primers one at a time by hand. I find that the trick with the pre-crimp is to align the shell as per he instructions with a flat of the shell crimp facing you. I never had a bad pre-crimp or crimp. The machine flexes a lot while crimping. Unsure how long it will be until the plastic/actuator arm fatigues. I loaded about 300 a month for about six months on the Lee.

I then bought a MEC 600 used for $60. It is old/beat up but operates well. It is built like a tank and should last me the rest of my days. The Lee now sits on the bench and is seldom used.

EDG
09-12-2014, 09:42 AM
Anyone that has ever used a MEC is going to hate the Lee tool.
I also have one of the Lee Loadall Juniors - good for about 1 box a month. If you are careful it might last 6 months.

MT Chambers
09-13-2014, 06:06 PM
Go with a MEC 600 new or used, the Lee is ****.

Silverboolit
09-13-2014, 06:51 PM
Ponsness-Warren..Don't look any farther.

Garyshome
09-14-2014, 11:49 PM
There's always a caddie driver in every bunch!

kopperl
09-14-2014, 11:56 PM
I have a Lee for 20 guage and a MEC Jr for 410. Both do what they are supposed to.
People that think Lee sells junk probably have never given it a fair trial.

Bullshop Junior
09-15-2014, 12:09 AM
I have a load all. If you only load a handful every here and there, maybe the article I wrote about loading with no special tools might be up your ally.

r1kk1
09-15-2014, 07:41 PM
People that think Lee sells junk probably have never given it a fair trial.

Been there done that with the Load-Fast and Load-All. Was not impressed with either machine. The 30-day money back guarantee Lee honors. I sold a new Load-All II to a member here on this forum my son bought and never used. He always used my 375c machine. Never could figure the boy out.

Lee needs to release a Classic Cast version with swappable toolheads.

Take care

r1kk1

Boyscout
09-16-2014, 02:59 AM
I have reloaded about 2500 rounds on my Lee Load-all in 20 gauge. Make sure you use the correct crimping station (6 vs 8). I have trouble sometimes working the slide going from shot back to powder. I did buy the 16 gauge conversion but haven't switched yet. Thinking about a MEC but the Lee does everything I need it to. I have gotten my monies worth out of it.

Bullshop Junior
09-16-2014, 08:13 AM
I have had a half dozen of the load alls. They do their job.

psweigle
09-16-2014, 09:11 AM
I use a lee loader for 38/357. Can't say how the shotgun loaders work, but it know my 38's are top notch hand loads. I love mine so much that I am starting to collect them. Sounds like it is exactly what you are looking for. Get it and use it. A hammer and a hard surface is all you need.

Bullshop Junior
09-16-2014, 09:15 AM
I use a lee loader for 38/357. Can't say how the shotgun loaders work, but it know my 38's are top notch hand loads. I love mine so much that I am starting to collect them. Sounds like it is exactly what you are looking for. Get it and use it. A hammer and a hard surface is all you need.

If you can't find one. I believe they discontinued the shotgun ones.

jmort
09-16-2014, 10:02 AM
They are discontinued, but always on eBay. I have one, but like the Lane's Reloading unit best of the simple hand tools:

http://www.lanesreloading.com

scattershot
09-16-2014, 10:40 AM
I have one in 12 gauge, and have used it for years. Admittedly, I don't load much shotgun ammo, but it works fine for the limited shotshell reloading I do. The advice on starting the crimp properly is good advice, but it's not hard to do, and becomes second nature after a few shells. Mine seems to throw a lighter powder charge than listed, but not enough to really matter, and you can turn out very good shotgun fodder with it.