PDA

View Full Version : Marvil mystery oil

1johnlb
09-01-2014, 03:27 AM
I have a Enfield that has a mint bore. When I got it, I could still see the blueing in the bore but over time shooting cast it turn silvery in color. I thought the blueing had just worn off. I had a bottle of MMO sitting on the shelf, and still not sure why I even thought to try it as a bore cleaner, hopps#9 my normal cleaner sitting beside it. Well decided to use it with the bore hot because that's were MMO works with engines. Now after about 3 sessions with it I'm seeing the original blueing in the bore again. Is anyone else using MMO?

lefty o
09-01-2014, 03:40 AM
no, but i do use butchs bore shine with about 20% of kroil mixed in. imo hoppes is a pretty ineffective bore cleaner.

seagiant
09-01-2014, 12:02 PM
Hi,
Go one better and mix up some "Ed's Red" I use the MMO in place of the Dexron Tranny oil and works great. One gallon last a LONG time and is the best I've ever used for shotgun bore cleaning!!!

http://handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=9

pworley1
09-01-2014, 01:51 PM
+1 on the Ed's Red. I have not found anything better in the years I have been using it. Also the Ed's oil version which is just the kerosene and dextronIII mixed is the best machine oil I have used. I will try some with the MMO.

nekshot
09-01-2014, 02:20 PM
the stuff sure smells great!

Garyshome
09-04-2014, 11:13 PM
+1 on the Ed's Red.... the price is right too!

Big Rack
09-08-2014, 05:02 PM
Only half joking with the successes I've had over the years with MMO for various uses I'm beginning to wonder if I should add some to my regular diet. It sure seems like some pretty handy stuff.

lefty o
09-08-2014, 06:01 PM
might help if your plugged up !! LOL

NY_Treeguy
09-13-2014, 07:21 AM
Nevered tried MMO as a bore cleaner before. I have a Mosin with a dark-ish bore. I'll see if that brightens it up at all.

1johnlb
09-13-2014, 07:33 AM
Nevered tried MMO as a bore cleaner before. I have a Mosin with a dark-ish bore. I'll see if that brightens it up at all.

You might be better served with a little lead in the bore, it sure does shine up a bore pretty good. I have a 8mm mauser that had a dark bore and after shooting a couple hundred rounds of lead boolits it's as shinny as a new one. Really can't say that it shoots better but it does look better. MMO so far looks like its stripping that fine layer of lead off everything I have used it in. I'm using it at full strenght on a hot bore and the lead comes out on the cotton patch.

NY_Treeguy
09-13-2014, 07:36 AM
You might be better served with a little lead in the bore, it sure does shine up a bore pretty good. I have a 8mm mauser that had a dark bore and after shooting a couple hundred rounds of lead boolits it's as shinny as a new one. Really can't say that it shoots better but it does look better. MMO so far looks like its stripping that fine layer of lead off everything I have used it in. I'm using it at full strenght on a hot bore and the lead comes out on the cotton patch.

Still working on a cast load for this, but will give it a try as well. Thanks

w5pv
09-13-2014, 08:17 AM
I use the Marvel Myestry Oil to lube my rifle cases with for resizing,have never stuck a case yet.I just barley wet the tips of my fore finger and thumb and smear it over the cse to be resized.Good stuff.

DeputyDog25
09-13-2014, 09:37 AM
I have read somewhere, can't remember where I read it though about using Marvel Mystery Oil as both a bore cleaner and for lubing cases and the writer noted in the article that his case life had decreased after starting to use the MMO. I think I will stick with Imperial case lube. I use Ed's Red and love it as well as a bore cleaner.

seagiant
09-13-2014, 11:46 AM
I have read somewhere, can't remember where I read it though about using Marvel Mystery Oil as both a bore cleaner and for lubing cases and the writer noted in the article that his case life had decreased after starting to use the MMO. I think I will stick with Imperial case lube. I use Ed's Red and love it as well as a bore cleaner.

Hi,
+1 on Imperial Case Lube! None better!

dikman
09-14-2014, 06:48 AM
Out of curiosity I did a bit of searching and found this on bobistheoilguy.com -

70% Light Aromatic Oil (Pale Oil)
- It is a Naphthenic Oil, so while it oxidizes faster than a Paraffinic oil, it does clean and dissolve sludge and carbon well and cleans up after itself from any oxidation. serves as base oil as well. [Naphthenic oils have more solvency and are more polar (they are attracted to metal more), but oxidize faster.

29% Mineral Spirits
- Cleans Varnish very well. General cleaner. Also acts as an antioxidant.

38 parts per million (ppm) Boron
- AW/EP agent, friction reducer, antioxidant

900 ppm Phosporous
- AW/EP agent

1/2% 1, 2 ortho-Dichlorobenzene
- EP agent as it interacts with Iron to form an Iron chloride barrier under any ZDDP or other AW additives. Also very good cleaner/solvent, and friction reducer

1/4% 1, 4 para-Dichlorobenzene
- EP agent as it interacts with Iron to form an Iron chloride barrier under any ZDDP or other AW additives. Also very good cleaner/solvent, and friction reducer

Oil of wintergreen - for the scent
- Not just for the cent, is also a cleaner. may aid lubricity.

Red Dye - for the color

So from the perspective of our use, it's basically 70% mineral oil and 30% solvent (paint thinner). Nothing special.

seagiant
09-14-2014, 08:32 AM
Hi,
Well....I think MMO has always been used for its cleaning ability,MIXED with regular dino motor oil. Which is not a bad thing!

Steve E
09-14-2014, 09:45 PM
I had an old gentleman tell me one time many years ago that he used it on his knees and elbows for arthritis. He was always pretty truthful with me so I tend to believe him. Who knows, in his mind it might have worked.

Steve.........

1johnlb
09-15-2014, 02:50 PM
I had an old gentleman tell me one time many years ago that he used it on his knees and elbows for arthritis. He was always pretty truthful with me so I tend to believe him. Who knows, in his mind it might have worked.

I think I know him, is his name TIN MAN.[smilie=l:

John Boy
09-15-2014, 05:21 PM
Is anyone else using MMO? Yes, a 50:50 mix of pure pine tar turpentine and MMO. Also the same ratio of Turpentine and ATF
A friend in CA put me onto it and I cleaned a 74 Sharps that I had cleaning problems from day one. After brushing and patching, let a patch soak overnight and the next day the bore was clean as a whistle.

The 50:50 mix of either is a good leader remover also

M-Tecs
09-15-2014, 08:13 PM
imo hoppes is a pretty ineffective bore cleaner.

Plus one on that. Hoppes #9 containing Nitro-benzene was a good product, but Nitro-benzene was removed from the formula in 1982 or 1985. My supply lasted until the mid-90's.

fguffey
09-16-2014, 03:17 PM
Rislone and Marvel Mystery Oil, For years, Hoppies #9 has always reminded me of J W toilet paper.

F. Guffey

Newtire
09-21-2015, 08:36 AM
Might save on bathroom deodorizer too! I'm always learning new things here....

leadman
09-21-2015, 11:09 PM
I have used MMO in my impact wrenches and other air motors since 1969. Does loosen carbon on the tops of engine pistons. Haven't tried it on guns yet.

bruce drake
09-22-2015, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the tip! I believe my next batch of ATF/5W30 gun oil will have MMO added instead of the usual 8oz bottle of Hoppes.

Hardcast416taylor
09-22-2015, 03:52 PM
Plus one on that. Hoppes #9 containing Nitro-benzene was a good product, but Nitro-benzene was removed from the formula in 1982 or 1985. My supply lasted until the mid-90's.

I stocked up on the old formula of Hoppe`s #9 when I heard of the change coming. I transferred the gallon kegs into brown glass jugs. Down to my last 2 jugs of 1/2 gal. each the old formula. Still works great.Robert

leadman
09-25-2015, 10:23 PM
I was shopping at Walmart with the wife and saw MMO in the auto section so I bought a bottle. About a quart for $3 or $4.

1johnlb
09-25-2015, 11:08 PM
Both of my Swedish mausers had heavy deposits of carbon build up in the bore. I brushed used hopes and brushed and brushed and after about 7 or 8 sessions it still had heavy deposits in it but was getting better. Then I used MMO in it the last outing and it's now clean. The second Swede had the same problem, the first outing, with a hot bore and a soaked bore mop with MMO and the bore was clean. The carbon came out in chunks. Then after looking down the bore I could now see all the pits from the years of military ammo and wished I could put the carbon back.[smilie=1:

I've had a Swiss k31 that had lead deposits for about 6 inches of the throat, from trying the Lee 230 blkout with titegroup. Shot a few rounds at the range and did the same thing with a hot bore and soaked bore mop of MMO and the deposits pushed out with a cotton patch.

I'm really not sure if it's the MMO or the shock to the hot bore that makes it work, but one thing is for sure MMO is cheaper than any and it works.

David2011
09-27-2015, 12:28 AM
Hi,
+1 on Imperial Case Lube! None better!

Seagiant, I usually agree 100% with you but my experience has been different. A friend was having trouble sizing his S&W 500 brass. I went to my favorite go-to lube, Imperial. It took a LOT of effort in my Rockchucker so I grabbed some pure lanolin and put a thin smear on a case. The effort required was probably 40% of that required with Imperial. Subsequent cases sized equally easily. I was surprised and impressed. Apparently lanolin is a better high pressure lube. Imperial is still the go-to for most jobs.

David

retread
09-27-2015, 01:11 AM
Seagiant, I usually agree 100% with you but my experience has been different. A friend was having trouble sizing his S&W 500 brass. I went to my favorite go-to lube, Imperial. It took a LOT of effort in my Rockchucker so I grabbed some pure lanolin and put a thin smear on a case. The effort required was probably 40% of that required with Imperial. Subsequent cases sized equally easily. I was surprised and impressed. Apparently lanolin is a better high pressure lube. Imperial is still the go-to for most jobs.

David

Been using lanolin from randyrat for sizing for quite a while now. People keep talking about Imperial so I ordered some about 2 weeks ago. Got it but haven't tried it yet. From the sound of your post I should have saved my money.

Buckshot
09-27-2015, 03:30 AM
.............Not about guns, but since MMO was mentioned, my Grandfather had an old rag on his work bench doused with the stuff. Before he'd put a tool back in the cabinet he'd wipe it down with the rag. He'd also pour some in the gas tank of his '56 Ford pickup truck on occasion. My brother had a friend whose dad was a real desert rat. He was a retired Air Force Colonel and would spend days tootling around in the desert. He had a '55 Willys 4WD pickup truck with a camper in the bed he'd made out of 2x4's and plywood :-) It had an injector system that apparently added Marvel Mystery Oil to the gasoline somehow or the other. IIRC I think the unit held about a pint or so.

I just searched for Marvel Mystery Oil injectors but nothing came up about that, but a lot came up about MMO :-)

.................Buckshot

Budzilla 19
09-27-2015, 08:29 AM
I have used MMO in just about every engine I own. In the fuel only, never needed it in the oil. From motocross race bikes, (works wonders on a two-stroke engine), to the hottest diesel hot rods I built, farm equipment, air tools, and finally, 50/50 mix with good ole WD-40 for general penetrating oil around the house and shop! Now I have to try it for bore cleaning,for sure after this thread! Thanks guys for another suggestion on bore cleaning! As far as Hoppes #9, I guess I'll just look at my last bottle of the stuff sitting in the shelf as it is pretty much useless now.just my .02 cents.

flint45
09-29-2015, 05:06 PM
Used it for years good stuff Iput some in my boolit lube!

Huffmanite
09-30-2015, 04:12 PM
Many years ago, I used to be a buyer for a very large auto parts warehouse distributor in Houston, Tx. Marvel Mystery Oil was one of around 100 companies I dealt with. Nice oil additive that's been around for a darn long time. Don't know if its still true, but back in the 70's, an Exxon refinery outside of Houston made the basis for Marvel.....one of few plants in U.S. that could do the kind of refining of oil needed to make Marvel.

Anyway, my version of Ed's Red has Marvel in it. Also use it in a gun lub I blend for oiling my rifles.

Shiloh
10-05-2015, 05:50 PM
Been using Ed's Red since reading about it on the defunct SurplusRifle.com Pretty much my go to cleaner. A gallon is a LOT of cleaner

Shiloh