PDA

View Full Version : IDPA target shooting

silverado
08-31-2014, 11:24 PM
I have a question about IDPA shooting. Unless the course of fire specifically says body shot, can you take a headshot? The question comes from the last time I shot. The scenario had some targets that were "blackened" halfway down, making the 0 area of the target half as large. Could I take a headshot to make it easier to not lose any time for a -1 or -3 shot? Hopefully I conveyed my question appropriately. Last match I placed #9 out of 21.... hopefully next time I do much better.

silverado
08-31-2014, 11:25 PM
Specifically the course of fire said to shoot targets in tactical order... does that allow headshots?

TXGunNut
08-31-2014, 11:32 PM
Headshots are generally discouraged in practical situations and IDPA matches, last I heard. If the match calls for a head shot, that's a different story. Center mass, head shots can get iffy with a handgun.

silverado
08-31-2014, 11:43 PM
well that doesn't help me much... sometimes the targets are behind "cover" and the headshot is easier than getting a 0 shot on the center mass...

deadarrow
08-31-2014, 11:49 PM
Yes you can take head shots unless the course of fire states otherwise

deadarrow
08-31-2014, 11:50 PM
We had several targets yesterday that had no shoots covering half of the down zero body area. There were plenty of head shots on those targets.

silverado
08-31-2014, 11:53 PM
deadarrow, thanks, I will be taking more headshots next match.... I may check with somebody in charge first to be on the safe side.

deadarrow
08-31-2014, 11:57 PM
The new rule is if the course of fire calls for say 2 to the body and one shot hits the head it doesn't count. In the past the errant head shot would have counted as a down zero. Does that clear things up?

silverado
09-01-2014, 12:36 AM
Well.. the c.o.f. I recall didn't specifically say head or body. I have encountered in the past 2 body one head.... I guess my question is answered though... when faced with "tactical order" just shoot the head if the body is half covered... at least I hope that is right

knifemaker
09-01-2014, 12:52 AM
Yep! shoot for the head unless match rules states no head shots. I shoot the head many times when they have a hostage target covering half of the suspect torso and I have more head target area to hit and not hit or nick the hostage target and loose points.