PDA

View Full Version : Question for those using the Hornady Handheld Priming Tool

nicholst55
08-31-2014, 03:26 PM
Has anyone had good results using one? I've been struggling along with mine for about 18 months, and I've about reached the limit of my patience with the thing. I bought it used, and discovered that it was missing one of the priming punches. I contacted Hornady and they said to send it in so they could ensure that it was the latest, new-and-improved version - strike one. I already paid for shipping once, now I get to pay shipping a second time?

So, I reluctantly mailed it to them. It was returned shortly, supposedly all up to snuff, so I put it to work priming some .40 S&W. Let's just say that I did NOT have good results, and wound up using it to single-load primers. I understand that my difficulty with small primers is fairly common. I have since used i to prime a fair quantity of .223 brass with similar results.

I've also used it to prime a bunch of (large primer) .45 ACP brass, including a 300-round session yesterday. I managed to seat one primer sideways, and one upside-down. And before anyone asks, yes, I am using the correct primer tray for my shell holders.

I also encountered a new-to-me problem. The unit fails to feed a primer about 5-10% of the time, and when I squeeze the handle, not realizing that theere's no primer in place ready to seat, the priming punch becomes lodged in the primer pocket. I had to take a pin punch small enough to slip through the flash hole and tap the primer punch out. This marred the end of the priming punch, so now I get to disassemble the unit and stone the marks off the primer punch. :evil:

I honestly prefer to use the ram prime unit that I have to this thing - it's slow, and I have to handle each primer individually, but once adjusted, it works every time.

So all told, I'm about ready to either 1) throw the thing in the trash, or 2) gift it to some neophyte reloader who cannot yet afford a priming tool - with full disclosure. I'm not sure that I want to afflict someone else with the thing, though.

I think I'm going to try this one (http://www.21stcenturyshooting.com/Priming_Tool_Square.php) next.

Guesser
08-31-2014, 04:16 PM
I've been using the Hornady since shortly after they were introduced. Small primers can be a problem as the same tray is used for both L&S on mine. Sometimes changing shell holders is a challenge. I also use a L&S Lee Auto Prime and I have the new Lyman. All of them have features to like and all have features less than perfect. But, that said, they all work; once I learned the idiosyncrasies of each.

Hardcast416taylor
08-31-2014, 05:34 PM
I vote that they bring back the old LEE hand priming tool that everybody liked!Robert

Guesser
08-31-2014, 07:56 PM
If you are talking the Lee tool that I had to pick up each primer individually and put it in the tool then I say "don't bother". I would go back to on press priming if I have to handle each primer.

nicholst55
08-31-2014, 09:29 PM
Back on subject, please - the Hornady Handheld Priming tool. Please start your own thread to discuss the Lee products.

mdi
09-01-2014, 11:45 AM
My Hornady (not Lee!) hand primer has had much the same quirks yours has. I got it about 7 years ago and it kinda irritates me to fiddle with every 4th primer and shake the primer "plate" just so to get the primers aligned just right down the slot to feed. I'm sure mine is one of the ones made on Monday and all Hornady products aren't this bad.

I much prefer a ram prime over any other method I've tried...

Hardcast416taylor
09-01-2014, 11:54 AM
Okay, back to the point of interest about the Hornady priming unit. I also have one of these units, and may I add that I don`t believe there is a better candidate for being attached to a fishing line and used as a sinker! Since my old LEE priming unit with a round loading tray attachment broke down I`ve been looking for a priming tool that works as well. This Hornady tool is not on my favorites list. I can only assume that the designer of this tool had done so after a 12 beer lunch. Ease of operation and assembly were not a top priority, yet they keep on making them despite user input as I , for one, have given them.Robert

Vinne
09-01-2014, 12:21 PM
I vote that they bring back the old LEE hand priming tool that everybody liked!Robert

I'm with you Robert. The new is ok but a lot slower. I sold my old one here (the round tray) and should have waited to try the new one first.

nicholst55
09-01-2014, 03:34 PM
I'm seriously considering donating mine to the county landfill. I have two of the older round-tray LEE priming tools with the bulk of my reloading gear. Unfortunately, it's all in Maryland, and I'm in Arizona. I see a L-O-N-G road trip (there and back again) in my near future.

Weaponologist
09-01-2014, 06:14 PM
If your considering a new priming tool. I can vouch for RCBS hand held priming tool. In fact, I picked up a second one and just keep one set up for Large primers and the other for small..This was before I started using a progressive press. I use them for my Rifle/Single stage stuff...Good Luck..

GhostHawk
09-01-2014, 09:57 PM
I'll second the RCBS hand priming tool. Switching is a bit of a pain so I can see the sense in having one for large rifle and another for small pistol.

I don't put that many rounds through mine, but it has been pretty much flawless so far.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-02-2014, 01:00 PM
I'm seriously considering donating mine to the county landfill. I have two of the older round-tray LEE priming tools with the bulk of my reloading gear. Unfortunately, it's all in Maryland, and I'm in Arizona. I see a L-O-N-G road trip (there and back again) in my near future.

Sounds like you might be a candidate for a plane trip. Might be cheaper than a road trip and certainly faster. Ship your gear to your new local and be done with it.

Pepe Ray
09-02-2014, 05:06 PM
Adhering to the O.P.
I can't attest to "The New and Improved Model". I was on board withe the first model soon after introduction.
I really wanted it to work, honestly. Kept at it for most of 6 weeks. Jam on jam. Flipped primers, NO primers,(that was the worst).
I finally went back to the OTHER BRAND. I blamed it on the LEARNING CURVE needed to get 'with it.' I gave a buddy of mine a good break on the price after a FULL disclosure. Occasionally I'll ask him how it's working out for him. He shrugs his shoulders and grunts.
Pepe Ray

UNIQUEDOT
09-03-2014, 10:10 AM
Glad I saw this thread as I was about to order one of these things.

meterman
09-07-2014, 02:20 PM
I think that I primed about 30 brass with mine. I forget if I gave it away or threw it away. While attempting to use it, I thought that I must be on Candid Camera for sure. I bought it to replace a Lee that I also detested. That went away, as well. Now I am back to the priming post on my old Pacific single stage, and love it just fine.