PDA

View Full Version : IBM notebook upgrade question

bubba.50
08-31-2014, 02:37 AM
since windows whatever is going the way of the dinosaurs does anyone know if any other operating systems can be installed on an IBM notebook? my desktop has bit the dust & my wife's tablet won't do a lot of stuff. and she craps my laptop up every time she gets her hands on it with all the goofy blogs & such that she reads & the games she plays. I get slowed down & all kinds of warnings after she's used it.

worker
08-31-2014, 03:14 AM
Linux. If you are not familiar with how to burn your own install DVD, get one from here
https://www.osdisc.com/products/lubuntu/lubuntu-14041-lts-install-live-cd-32bit.html

Your laptop should have at least 100GB hard drive and 2 or better yet 4GB of RAM and a CPU that's at least 4-5 years old or newer.

Linux is not a good option if you use your windows laptop today control specific hardware devices (for example if you are using to manage ECU fueling maps of your ECU controlled motorcycle or car, or other things like this -- with specialized hardware/software/device drivers)

SeabeeMan
08-31-2014, 09:04 AM
Linux is a great suggestion. It if that doesn't do it, a clean install of windows can freshen up an old machine. Back all of your files up and make a list of what is installed before you wipe it.

BrassMagnet
08-31-2014, 10:56 AM
Linux is a great suggestion. It if that doesn't do it, a clean install of windows can freshen up an old machine. Back all of your files up and make a list of what is installed before you wipe it.

Make a list of the hardware and drivers, too!
If you have a System restore disk, or access to a System restore image, that is also a great option.
Make sure you print out such things as Antivirus license emails, etc.

SeabeeMan
08-31-2014, 11:49 AM
Good call. Wouldn't hurt to download the drivers before you start. IBM may have a "scan for drivers" utility that will give you a list of the drivers you need with links to download. Also double check that you have the 25 character windows key for your restore disk. It's probably on hologram sticker on the back or under the battery.