PDA

View Full Version : How to pull semi wadcutter 45acp boolets to salvage the cases and powder?

Teddo
08-31-2014, 01:00 AM
I loaded 150 or so 45acp rounds for my AMC long slide and it takes a stout load to cycle the stiff spring and heavy slide so I'm running close to max using a 200 grain semi wadcutter and 5.1 grains of Red Dot. Somewhere along the way my powder measure became loose(my fault for not putting the tight to it ) and I found it was dumping almost 6.0 grains, probably to hot and unsafe. My inertia type puller is almost useless because it requires taking it apart each time because of the blunt style of the bullet won't allow it to be inserted in the holder easley.My collet style puller has nothing to grip on the semi wadcutter so it also useless. I hate to $hit can a 100 rounds of brass and powder (the boolets will be recast if I get them out so no problem there)any ideas on how I can salvage this mess I have made...Teddo

Cmm_3940
08-31-2014, 01:14 AM
Get a piece of pipe, about 1.5" dia. And 2" long. Put it over the ram on your press. Run the ram up through the pipe. Put a round in the shell holder. Grab the boolit with a set of diag wire cutters or similar heavy cutting tool. Sometimes vice grips work also. Run the ram back down, pulling the boolit out against the top of the pipe. The cutters/vice grips will mangle the boolit (who cares?) but will provide sufficient grip to pull it. Just don't ask me how to pull full wadcutters :) . This also works for rifle rounds, just skip the pipe and run the round all the way up through an empty die hole, grab the boolit on top of the tool head.

Bullwolf
08-31-2014, 06:12 AM
My inertia type puller is almost useless because it requires taking it apart each time because of the blunt style of the bullet won't allow it to be inserted in the holder easily.

You can also use a a shell holder to hold the case with most inertia style pullers, If I understand your problem correctly.

Try it once to make sure using the shell holder isn't too hard on the case rim.

If it's too much of a hassle still, go with the vice grips and short piece of pipe like Cmm_3940 suggested.

Image originally posted by Cast Boolits member P.K. (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?13168-P-K) from "The 1.99 Bullet Puller" thread. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?132250-The-1-99-Bullet-Puller

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/IrishEKU/100_1247.jpg

- Bullwolf

Animal
08-31-2014, 08:45 AM
Very cool tips here

Teddo, I don't know if you have a lot of experience with Red Dot... but if you don't measure each charge you will have problems. It is a great powder, but it requires patient supervision.

Teddo
08-31-2014, 10:03 AM
Very cool tips here

Teddo, I don't know if you have a lot of experience with Red Dot... but if you don't measure each charge you will have problems. It is a great powder, but it requires patient supervision.

I'v used it a lot in my 44/40 and 44 special (cowboy action game ) and some in 45acp befor with no problems. It is a difficult powder to get to measure in fine increments because of it's fluffy nature but it works fine once dialed in for me. Its been damn hard to find 231 or bullseye or I probably would have gone that way.......Teddo

Tom Herman
08-31-2014, 12:43 PM
Hmmm... I've had to pull hundreds of rounds at a time with an inertia type puller, and it isn't an issue... The latest foray was about 150 rounds of .45 ACP of very, very dubious origin that quite obviously couldn't be trusted. It only took a little over an hour to pull all the rounds while I was watching TV.... The powder was discarded in this case, but could have been reused if it were my reloads. I did reuse the SWC's, and had 137 that passed final test after being reloaded. My friend didn't care about the casings, so the mostly NM casings stayed here with me, and he got back standard, large primer cases with his reloads. Everyone is happy...

shooterbob
08-31-2014, 01:18 PM
Take a drill bit and drill into the swc end, put in vice and use a pair of pliers on the bit as leverage with a block as a cantilever. The bit will normally hold to pull the bullet. Then make your own hp's afterwards....j/k that was just an afterthought

Teddo
08-31-2014, 01:37 PM
Tom the problem with my inertia puller was ( is)with the blunt shape of the boolet it would hang up and not allow the round to slip into the holder groves. I could remove the cap and holder then insert the round but often as not the holder would lose its O ring and I would have to put it back together and start all over again.

As Of now I'm about 3/4 done using 3/4 drive 1 and a 1/4 inch socket in place of a piece of pipe, its going quite well and I will be done with this mess in a short time. Thanks all for the interest and help, love simple fixes. I'm going to dump the powder because possible lube contamination, all pulled boolets are back in the pot ready for a re cast......Teddo

frank505
08-31-2014, 06:09 PM
A standard shellholder in place of the cartridge holder thing on an inertia puller works pretty easy too

Teddo
08-31-2014, 07:43 PM
Here is my setup. thanks all for the idea.Teddo

GhostHawk
08-31-2014, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the tip about the standard shellholder!

Much better.

Cmm_3940
08-31-2014, 09:09 PM
Learnt it here, shared it here. Welcome to the site.