PDA

View Full Version : smoke em if ya got em

bigted
08-30-2014, 10:21 PM
well this move has had me over the barrel till today. i have not shot anything since leaving Fairbanks AK ... and honestly been havin withdrawal symptoms.

have not found a rock pit yet around close so i been hesitant to spend the $250.00 to get started with the dandy shooting club close by.

today took the Winchester '92' and the new model Vaquero ... both in 45 Colt out in the loggin area in the rain and busted some blackpowder loaded caps. didnt worry bout hittin a dang thing ... just wanted to breath some smoke again.

MY MY how i missed the clouds of powder smoke with each yank of the trigger. the 24 inch barrel of the '92' held the 30 grain BP under the 350 grain flat nose a bit longer than the six gun so got to see the shower of sparks better from the rifle then the six gun. i got my thinkin rite again tho with these loads and now recognize the importance of getting acquainted with the local talent here and getting in at the club for some shooting opportunities.

thats all ... just nuttin real earth shattering ... just sharing my stupids for not gettin round to it yet ... ill fix that forth wit.

blackpowder man
08-31-2014, 11:18 AM
Yes, BigTed I understand completely. I have to have my bp shooting threapy or I get mighty restless. An indoor range with modern pistol loads can only take the edge off, I need outdoor range time and I feel right again.

country gent
08-31-2014, 05:23 PM
I went out to the "club: today with the 40-65 and some test loads with Old ensford 2f powder 2 diffrent bullets and a box of last matches left overs. Spent the day shooting at 200 yds testing and playing. A couple friends along and other members there Was an enjoyable day and I got 2 loads to retest again. Glad things are settling down for you Big Ted and your getting the addiction sated. Hopefully you find what your looking for in a shooting spot soon.

bigted
08-31-2014, 09:13 PM
well this country just filled up in my absence. can't drive far enough and still feel comfy to find a spot in the woods to let off some steam. i will just have to bite the bullet and fork up my entrance fee and get started with the club. it is a nice one and lots of ranges for just about everything except the looooong range stuff ... but ... they have a spot purchased so when the dough comes in they are gonna get a 1000 yd range going on the same piece of property. guess my stingys need to be put to bed and just cough up and be done with it. can go there anytime to shoot plus they have games and competitions to enter so it really is a great move ... i just like the lonesome spots where i can play and have no one watchin ... may discover the spot someday but ... till then ... forkin out the dough is gonna be the only game in town for this kid. then my addiction can be fed anytime i need a "FIX"

glad to hear your day with the 40-65. i just today mounted my 12X Unertl on my old roller in that cal. cant wait to spoil the paper to see how it does. mine is a sporting remington roller that has had the barrel replaced at some time and chambered in the 40-65 chamber. she shoots well but now ill be able to ring it out with confidence with the scope mounted.

country gent
08-31-2014, 10:06 PM
I tested 2 diffrent bullets ( 400 grn lyman snover/postel and 400 grn Old West Nasa) over 2 f old ensford today. Have 2 loads to retest on each side of the 2 grn increments now was very promising with core groups going around 1 1/2 moa for both. I did have an issue with the scope I fixed tonight. The fitting washer had brofle and I got a new one and fit it in fine but the 2 nuts that set and lock it and hold end play down loosened up on me today. But groups were very promising and the foulingwas easier to work with even in august heat. I would perfer a little wider grease grooves on the lyman bullet or deeper As it dosnt give a lot of lube at the muzzle. I like our local club and have been a member for years I kind of like a few people ( certain ones) around and enjoy the company. But I also make sure people are safe before I unload gear and set up. Ours is only 200 yds with backers at 50 and 100 also. Im glad you getting out and enjoying yourself.