PDA

View Full Version : Fiinally got my custom Clements Ruger back!!!

.45Cole
08-30-2014, 10:12 PM
I sent in a .45 7.5 SS BH for a conversion to .45 (sent in a 44 mag cylinder). I bought a bisley gripframe kit from Brownells. I got a 5.5" octagon bbl, and had the cylinder chamfered to reduce wear on the holsters. The whole gun is hard chromed.

I like the bisley frame so much I think I will sell my other 7.5" .45 BH to get another bisley .45.

Bowen sight with a gold reference bar

shoot-n-lead
08-30-2014, 10:14 PM
Looks nice.

jrayborn
08-31-2014, 12:16 AM
How long did it take? Beautiful handgun :)

C. Latch
08-31-2014, 08:50 AM
NICE!!!!

How long did it take and what is your opinion of the barrel itself? Any constrictions?

I would LOVE to have my .45 rebarreled with a 6.25" heavy barrel and a new ejector rod housing and a front sight blade cut to my specs......I just hate spending the money, and hate that nobody offers a tapered-bore barrel.

osteodoc08
08-31-2014, 09:54 AM
Very Purdy. I love the octagonal barrel.

C. Latch
08-31-2014, 10:20 AM
Hey, what did you do with your 7.5" SS .45 barrel?

BruceB
08-31-2014, 11:23 AM
[QUOTE=.45Cole;2913226]I sent in a .45 7.5 SS BH for a conversion to .45 (sent in a 44 mag cylinder). QUOTE

I, for one, do mot understand.

You sent in a .45 for conversion to .45?????

Whatever the truth may be, it surely did come out as a very elegant revolver, and well worth the wait.

dubber123
08-31-2014, 03:43 PM
[QUOTE=.45Cole;2913226]I sent in a .45 7.5 SS BH for a conversion to .45 (sent in a 44 mag cylinder). QUOTE

I, for one, do mot understand.

You sent in a .45 for conversion to .45?????

Whatever the truth may be, it surely did come out as a very elegant revolver, and well worth the wait.

Reboring a .44 cylinder is a good way to get non sloppy .45 chambers.

alamogunr
08-31-2014, 04:47 PM
When I looked at your 2nd picture, I thought David had marked it wrong. Then I looked at your forum name. I'm a little slow to catch on. I like!

Several years ago, David converted a brand new SS Bisley .44 mag. to .45 Colt for me. I still haven't gotten the custom stocks that I wanted for it.

.45Cole
08-31-2014, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the comments!

C. latch, David kept the original 7.5" bbl. I was thinking of you when I posted on your thread about a new bbl. You might contact him, he has mine.

The octagon bbl is a lot larger in diameter than my original bbl, so I'm going to have to reshape my holsters. I slid a pin gauge down the bbl and it slid like glass into the cylinder window!

David has packages where he essentially goes through the whole gun and does his thing. Having sloppy chambers is unacceptable, so you "convert" your gun to whatever caliber. If the gun was originally a .45 and you want .45, you need to supply a cylinder that can be line bored to .45 (like .44 w/ recessed chambers in my case)

The whole project took 3.5 years! But it's worth it. I need to figure out the cylinder, and file the front of the trigger a bit (it has a ledge/edge that rubs my finger) and it will be perfect.

My cousin is a custom engraver and the gun was already off when he said he was looking to do some handgun stuff, but with the hardchrome I'll have to leave the gun unengraved :violin:

.45Cole
08-31-2014, 05:06 PM
alamogunr (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?165-alamogunr), I really like black grips with the stainless guns. I held a pair of grashorn grios out of buffalo horn and I really liked them. I'm just building up funds, and looking for buffalo stock now. David helped me out and supplied a leftover pair of grips gratis.

C. Latch
08-31-2014, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the comments!

C. latch, David kept the original 7.5" bbl. I was thinking of you when I posted on your thread about a new bbl. You might contact him, he has mine.

The octagon bbl is a lot larger in diameter than my original bbl, so I'm going to have to reshape my holsters. I slid a pin gauge down the bbl and it slid like glass into the cylinder window! I haven't shot it yet, as I might have to send the cylinder back to be reamed to chamber my longer 270 SAA and LBT boolits.

David has packages where he essentially goes through the whole gun and does his thing. Having sloppy chambers is unacceptable, so you "convert" your gun to whatever caliber. If the gun was originally a .45 and you want .45, you need to supply a cylinder that can be line bored to .45 (like .44 w/ recessed chambers in my case)

The whole project took 3.5 years! But it's worth it. I need to figure out the cylinder, and file the front of the trigger a bit (it has a ledge/edge that rubs my finger) and it will be perfect.

My cousin is a custom engraver and the gun was already off when he said he was looking to do some handgun stuff, but with the hardchrome I'll have to leave the gun unengraved :violin:

It's gorgeous. I would really, really like to have mine customized (new cylinder, barrel, sight, ERH, etc) but to be honest I'm just not in the stage of life where it's wise to be spending that sort of money.

Put another way, I have to build a house first. Until then, I can just drool over your pictures.....

BruceB
08-31-2014, 06:09 PM
[QUOTE=BruceB;2913720]

Reboring a .44 cylinder is a good way to get non sloppy .45 chambers.

I gotcha! It was just the wording( without details) of the post that confused me

Yes sir, it is a good method, and the performance should be much improved after getting rid of the "rattling fit" that comes from the factory these days.

Good shooting with the "new" hogleg.

Ammohouse
09-01-2014, 09:01 AM
Very nice!
I'm a bit confused on reaming your cylinder to fit the 270 SAA though.

.45Cole
09-01-2014, 05:24 PM
I couldn't fully chamber some of my heavy weight boolit loads. After EASILY chambering Buffalo Bore 325 LFN's at a gun store, I figured it was my loads. I marker-ed some cases and found that some of my crimps were bulging just a hair and the correctly tight chambers were too much. I guess that I need a better crimper than the RCBS roll crimp I have. Any suggestions? (I have a 45 RCBS taper crimp, but I don't want to crimp twice).

C. Latch
09-01-2014, 06:35 PM
I have a Redding Profile Crimp die.

No idea if it would help you, but that's what I use.

dubber123
09-01-2014, 07:40 PM
I couldn't fully chamber some of my heavy weight boolit loads. After EASILY chambering Buffalo Bore 325 LFN's at a gun store, I figured it was my loads. I marker-ed some cases and found that some of my crimps were bulging just a hair and the correctly tight chambers were too much. I guess that I need a better crimper than the RCBS roll crimp I have. Any suggestions? (I have a 45 RCBS taper crimp, but I don't want to crimp twice).

I have to just lightly bump my .475 ammo through a taper crimp after roll crimping to get it to fit in my F/A. For how long tight chambers make brass last, it's worth it to me.

Ammohouse
09-02-2014, 09:13 PM
Makes sense now, the roll crimp was hanging them up.
I also use the RCBS roll crimp and have issues sometimes, guess I'll try a taper crimp after the roll crimp to see if it works.

bigboredad
09-05-2014, 12:25 PM
I use the redding profile crimp for all my big calibers I really like the crimp they provide and have never had a bullet jump the crimp and it is impossible to get a bulge from over crimping

lar45
09-05-2014, 12:58 PM
Great looking gun, I really like the octagon barrel :) I picked up some Houge Ebony grips for my 45 Bisley. They need a little fitting, but look great. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1151443609/hogue-cowboy-grips-ruger-bisley http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/812/812811.jpg