PDA

View Full Version : Which mid-prized dies for .38/.357 in a Dillon 550?

jayjay1
08-30-2014, 06:53 AM
Hey guys,
Iīm using Dillon dies in three hand gun calibers (9/40/45) and want to try some others.

My issue with Dillon is, that the sizing die undersizes the brass in all three calibers, more than needed, in my opinion.

So I want to buy me some other dies.
I will mostly load .38 Special WC or SWC, so the head form of the seater should be flat, I suppose.

Please recommend me one.

Thanks,
Jay

6bg6ga
08-30-2014, 07:16 AM
Hey guys,
Iīm using Dillon dies in three hand gun calibers (9/40/45) and want to try some others.

My issue with Dillon is, that the sizing die undersizes the brass in all three calibers, more than needed, in my opinion.

So I want to buy me some other dies.
I will mostly load .38 Special WC or SWC, so the head form of the seater should be flat, I suppose.

Please recommend me one.

Thanks,
Jay

Jay,

I sincerely doubt that one manufacturers die is going to size larger or smaller than another manufacturers die. If it comes to choice of dies and picking something other than Dillion then my first choice is going to be RCBS. One should consider the fact that the Dillon dies come apart by pulling the clip and the others don't which makes for easy fast cleaning if needed. To be blunt here I have full sets of RCBS dies for every caliber and I purchased Dillon dies for my 650XL Dillon press simply becase they function the best in the press. (My opinion inserted here) If figure this way..buy once and buy the best that you can afford.

OuchHot!
08-30-2014, 03:22 PM
The lee and Dillon dies are both a little smoother on progressive presses, in my experience. I think that the entry is a bit wider to allow the case to 'watusi' a bit in the shell holder plate to aid alignment. The carbide dies all tend toward over sizing as one short ring is required to do the entire job from mouth to head. Redding makes a very expensive carbide die that uses two rings. They do work, but the price is pretty excessive. Old school non-carbide dies had more taper to the sizer (at least my old lymans do) but that probably isn't where you want to go.

Kilroy08
08-30-2014, 05:27 PM
RCBS comes with both round nose and flat profile seater stems. I have several sets of RCBS dies and am quite pleased with them.

UNIQUEDOT
08-30-2014, 08:28 PM
You might try rcbs cowboy dies if you're looking for less sizing or simply replace the sizer in whatever brand you prefer with a cowboy sizer die.

Weaponologist
08-30-2014, 09:39 PM
You might try rcbs cowboy dies if you're looking for less sizing or simply replace the sizer in whatever brand you prefer with a cowboy sizer die.

Yep, That would be the cheapest and fastest way to see if that's your problem, Just pick up a new Sizer Die. However. Dillon is my first choice when using a Dillon Press because there flared to help center the brass as they go around. Another idea, If you have a Buddy that Reloads try and borrow his 38 Sizer just to see if there is a difference.. Let us know what you find out..

jayjay1
08-31-2014, 02:16 AM
Well, Iīm using different dies with my rilfes, but for loading my handgun cartridges only with the 550, I bought only Dillon dies since now.

A friend of mine is using the same brass (S&B) and the same bullet in 9mm Luger, but uses RCBS dies.
My cartridges have that "Coke-Bottle-Design", his donīt.

I have this Coke-Bottle - profile on all of my handgun cartridges and Iīm sure it comes from the Dillon sizing die.
This compared with a pretty small expander at the powder funnel, downsizes my lead bullets unfortunately.

I will go with RCBS.

Thanks guys!
:drinks:

jayjay1
08-31-2014, 08:15 AM

What is different at the "cowboy" - dies?

6bg6ga
08-31-2014, 08:20 AM

Got a micrometer? If so measure several 38/357 cases and show your findings. I would for one like to see the differences between the different dies. Until proven wrong I will stick by my original comments. The different dies are going to be roughly the same with differences only as a result of manufacturing tolerances.

6bg6ga
08-31-2014, 08:26 AM
Well, Iīm using different dies with my rilfes, but for loading my handgun cartridges only with the 550, I bought only Dillon dies since now.

A friend of mine is using the same brass (S&B) and the same bullet in 9mm Luger, but uses RCBS dies.
My cartridges have that "Coke-Bottle-Design", his donīt.

I have this Coke-Bottle - profile on all of my handgun cartridges and Iīm sure it comes from the Dillon sizing die.
This compared with a pretty small expander at the powder funnel, downsizes my lead bullets unfortunately.

I will go with RCBS.

Thanks guys!
:drinks:

Unless your willing to fork out some money for the Magma case sizer you will have to accept the cases as sized from the different reloading die manufacturers. Anything without the lip like a 9mm,45acp for starters can be run the the Magma machine with the proper sizing die. Anything with the lip like for example 45 colt, 38/357, 44 mag and others will have what your calling the coke bottle case after sizing. There is no getting away from that.

6bg6ga
08-31-2014, 08:27 AM
Like I said...measure your cases and post sizes. Also measure your friends cases and post his results. Its not the Dillon dies.

country gent
08-31-2014, 08:34 AM
Have someone turn up new expander powder funnels for the belling dies to open case mouths/necks up a few thousandths more. Wouldnt be hard with a little lathe. All sizing dies are probably going to be very close in dimensions due to saami specs they are held to. I have polished steel dies up for scratches and such for people but the carbide dies will be alot more work to get a couple thousadths and finish out of. The new funnel expander is quick and simple to make up.

6bg6ga
08-31-2014, 08:46 AM
As you can see there is a bulge in everything here and all but one are RCBS.115034

sparky45
08-31-2014, 09:27 AM
I have Lyman dies, Hornady dies, Lee dies, and Forester dies. I like them all, and they all like my Dillon 650 or my Lee Loadmaster(s) or Lee Challenger Presses. Overall, I think I like the Hornady the best, followed by the Lee.

Petrol & Powder
08-31-2014, 10:29 AM
I've used a large assortment of dies in a 550, including mixing and matching different brands on the same tool head. The Dillon dies work fine but sometimes I find other dies that work better. It really doesn't matter , particularly with the sizing/decapping die in station #1. I've had very good results with Redding carbide pro series (progressive press friendly) dies. As for the die over sizing the casing, I have to wonder if you don't have some other issue there, like an over sized chamber in one of your guns?
I haven't seen too many sizing dies that were too tight, in fact they often are not small enough.

Weaponologist
08-31-2014, 11:19 AM
I've used a large assortment of dies in a 550, including mixing and matching different brands on the same tool head. The Dillon dies work fine but sometimes I find other dies that work better. It really doesn't matter , particularly with the sizing/decapping die in station #1. I've had very good results with Redding carbide pro series (progressive press friendly) dies. As for the die over sizing the casing, I have to wonder if you don't have some other issue there, like an over sized chamber in one of your guns?
I haven't seen too many sizing dies that were too tight, in fact they often are not small enough.

Great points every one. I prefer Redding also. It's difficult to give advice with out pictures. No ones qwite sure what your describing. All Dies only go down the brass so far. After that you have to look at things like the Bulge Buster for Semi Auto brass and I've never heard of a 38 getting Bulged so I would tend to look at the chamber as well..or are you over crimping when you say Coke Bottle affect??

HATCH
08-31-2014, 12:05 PM
Dillon carbide if possible. Lee carbide works fine too.

jayjay1
08-31-2014, 01:55 PM
As you can see there is a bulge in everything here and all but one are RCBS.115034

Thatīs exactly how my 9mmīs look like, thatīs the Dillon I would bet.

jayjay1
08-31-2014, 01:57 PM
..or are you over crimping when you say Coke Bottle affect??

Impossible to do so by crimping I suppose.

OuchHot!
08-31-2014, 03:16 PM
For what it's worth. I am setting up a new toolhead and bought a set of Lyman carbide dies (.327fed). It doesn't seem to have excessive sizing (the .32HnR and .327 fed kinda do that) and the neck expander has the "m" type profile. The set includes rn and fp seater stems. I know it is illegal to say nice things about Lyman on this site but I'm kinda a square peg to this forum's round hole.

HATCH
08-31-2014, 04:00 PM
I use Lee carbide with carbide fcd for my 9mm on the 550.
They don't look cook bottle

UNIQUEDOT
08-31-2014, 04:54 PM

The rcbs doesn't size the cases quite as much as the standard die. If all you're trying to do is get rid of the wasp waist look you should try a Lee carbide sizer. The inserts are ground different than other brands and they usually produce a much better looking round depending on caliber at least as I can recall owning some that looked no different (the cartridge case) than those sized with other brands. If you want your cases to look as close to new as you can possibly get then your only option is to lube your cases and size them with a steel die. Almost all carbide dies will give a wasp waist appearance.

nicholst55
08-31-2014, 07:04 PM
My Lyman .357 dies produce a much, much more pronounced 'coke bottle' profile than what was illustrated, and it has caused precisely zero problems for me in the 30+ years I have owned them.

UNIQUEDOT
08-31-2014, 07:55 PM
My Lyman .357 dies produce a much, much more pronounced 'coke bottle' profile than what was illustrated, and it has caused precisely zero problems for me in the 30+ years I have owned them.

Yep, Lyman's have produced the most pronounced wasp waists for me too, but there are no problems with them and boolits because they include the most excellent (M) die...as long as the proper expander plug is available or custom made.

jsizemore
08-31-2014, 10:18 PM
Since you want to avoid the "wasp waist" between the seated boolit base and the case head, only size that portion of the case to the base of the seated boolit or slightly beyond. You might only need to size a smaller portion of the brass and crimp as long as you shoot it in the same gun the brass came from. I have polished the the carbide sizing ring in a set of RCBS dies to fit the chamber of my handgun. That was before RCBS offered the cowboy dies which do accommodate cast boolits.

EDG
08-31-2014, 10:53 PM
If you want to know the size of the carbide rings call each manufacturer . If you want it larger try some diamond paste on a barrel lap.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-31-2014, 11:44 PM
I suggest having a die "tuned" to fit your needs. I would buy a new die set and hire someone from the forum to do such a thing if the coke bottle profile bothers you enough.

jayjay1
09-02-2014, 07:27 AM
Well, bought an used RCBS die set and will take a look what itīs worth for.

Could "tune" then of them if needed.

magimerlin
09-09-2014, 07:55 AM
I use all Lee dies... 9mm, .40, 9x18 Makarov, .223 have had no sizing issues at all...

Moonie
09-09-2014, 08:48 PM
Using Lee 9mm dies my cast loads looked like that until I started using the 38 S&W powder through expander, now no wasp waist.

09-11-2014, 12:57 AM
I use every bodys dies I just experiment with then to get what I want

jmorris
09-11-2014, 10:05 AM
Thatīs exactly how my 9mmīs look like, thatīs the Dillon I would bet.

Being a tapered case, couldn't you reduce the amount you are under sizing by backing the die off?

How are you setting your dies up? Are you using a case gauge to set how much it gets sized or are you just cranking the die down to the shell plate?

Lee dies are the least expensive dies that I know of and better than some that cost more.