PDA

View Full Version : Go Pioneers! (New Platteville, WI Powder Mill)

ohland
08-29-2014, 08:05 PM
I was glancing through a history of Laflin & Rand on Cast Pics, and saw that L&R had bought a powder mill in WI. Intrigued, I rooted about, and found a short write-up
http://genealogytrails.com/wis/grant/history_platteville3.htm

"After some negotiation, the property formerly known as “Griffith’s saw-mill,” on the Little Platte, about one and a half miles northwest of the present city, was purchased as a site, upon which buildings were erected, and the mill fairly put in operation during the summer of 1849."

Wow, they had a few corking good explosions.... I can't prove it, but I would expect that the powder was for blasting in the mines, not for shooting.

Platteville (Platte refers to the lead mines) is where the Wisconsin School of Mining is. Now part of the University of Wisconsin - Platteville.

Wis. Tom
08-30-2014, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the post.

w30wcf
08-30-2014, 10:46 AM
Interesting history. Thank you! My dad was from WI (Shawano) and I have a number of cousins that live in the state.

Klaus wrote the L&R history (Thank you Klaus!) In doing his research he contacted Harry Pascoe of the now defunct Hercules Powder Co. whom I have had the pleasure of meeting in the past. Unfortunately Harry has bone cancer and is on an experimental treatment program. If you would be so kind as to say a prayer for him it would be much appreciated.

w30wcf

mazo kid
09-08-2014, 01:58 PM
I'm a life-long Wis. resident (except for military service) and if I ever knew about the powder plant, I had forgotten it. Thanks for posting the article.