PDA

View Full Version : New Press came home with me today

country gent
08-29-2014, 07:59 PM
Ive been planning on replacing the press I load my BPCR cartridges on for awhile now. Today an RCBS Summit followed me home. Its one of the heaviest press wieght wise Ive handled. The post must be solid. Ive about got it mounted. Found a block of hard wood to glue down on bench to allow base to fit flat and layed it out. Found a .390 dia transfer punch to mark holes. Need 2 3/8 bolts 2 3/4" long washers and nuts. Will get those tomorrow when I get groceries. Solid well built press. It is a nice looking well thought out piece of equipment. And the flush mount means I can open the doors with out lifting the lid on my reloading box. I am looking forward to the test run, not looking forward to resting all the dies.

Weaponologist
08-29-2014, 08:39 PM
Those are nice, a lot of guys I know are setting them up for travel presses. They like the flush mount so you can use it on any table top...Let us know if you run in to any negatives on it...

TNsailorman
08-30-2014, 10:28 PM
I have not had the opportunity to see one those first hand but I am afraid of what might happen if I do. Please keep us up to date with your experience with it. james

AbitNutz
08-30-2014, 10:58 PM
I bought one when they first came out and really like it. It feels similar to my Co-Ax when you operate it because the handle works from the top down.

I like several things about it. It pretty much has wide open access to the shell. Its operation is unique in that the die moves, not the shell so fiddly cartridges tend to stay put. It is also very compact, doesn't take up much room and can sit flat on a bench without any sort of overhang.

It's not as powerful as say a Co-Ax, Ultramag or T7 but it works for most. I can full length re-size a 308 with a small base die with out too much of a problem.

country gent
09-02-2014, 10:13 PM
I loaded 60 rds on mine today, Finally got everything all set back up. Was a very nice first experience. I made a small adjustment on the 2 take up screws and the die lined up very nicely with the shell holder. This is a very nice press and very easy to set up and use. Its also nice being flush with the bench face. I didnt deprime on it as I deprime seapratly with a hand tool. Loaded test rounds for the 40-65 and was quite simply an ease to do had to reset my dies from the old press but was no big deal there. I also like the grease zerk on the ram/poat for lubing it. I am considering a shorter/ lighter handle for it.

Randy C
09-02-2014, 10:22 PM
The new Press sounds like a home run on your part.

Shiloh
09-02-2014, 11:19 PM
Still using an ancient RCBS machine. I could kick myself for passing one up at the winter gunshow

Shiloh

r1kk1
09-06-2014, 03:30 PM
I have RWB version #24 and really love it. It can use the Hornady LNL system or the new arbor press conversion which I have both! Mounted to a Rock Dock and it goes with me where I go. The ram is solid 2" diameter. I have two other presses that are heavier than the Summit.

That Summit is becoming my favorite single stage!

take care

r1kk1

Weaponologist
09-07-2014, 12:02 AM
. I am considering a shorter/ lighter handle for it.

Funny you should say that. It's what my buddy did. made it very compact for travel. But still more than enough leverage for loading..

Hardcast416taylor
09-07-2014, 12:20 PM
With 2 RCBS presses and a progressive Hornady already on my bench I`m like what the old married man said about pretty young women, "I can`t afford to be looking at those new short skirts anymore, my wife won`t let me"!Robert

Love Life
09-07-2014, 12:28 PM
I absolutely love my Summit press.