PDA

View Full Version : Cast VS "J" word

azcoyhunter
01-29-2008, 07:26 PM
I have heard and read that you can take a load for a "J" word bullet and substitute a CAST Boolit of same weight?

How does the pressure compare?

I am finding that the more I get into casting, the more load data I need, and I am not finding it?

:(

Clint

45nut
01-29-2008, 07:58 PM
True.

You will end up with less pressure & higher velocities because lead doesn't build friction like copper. Simple but true. Someone else can chime in with the cause & effect scientific details. :)

felix
01-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Clint, what have you heard and read? I am curious. ... felix

runfiverun
01-29-2008, 08:46 PM
i dont think you always get lower pressures but you almost always get a bit more velocity
i know that sometimes you can use a bit more powder and get alittle more velocity
because of pressure but this seems to mostly in lower pressure/velocity rounds
my take on it anyway

runfiverun

azcoyhunter
01-29-2008, 08:54 PM
Felix,

I had (Passed away now) a friend that cast some, and he alwas said he would just use CAST instead of Jackets, the load is guaranteed safe??

Also I read it in my LEE Loader 45ACP instructions, or the first LEE Book? I am not sure but I know it came from Lee.

Clint

azcoyhunter
01-29-2008, 09:09 PM
So what I am gathering,

it is safe, just use COMMON SENSE, and BECAREFUL

Clint

01-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Clint,
I think your statement is correct: "So what I am gathering,
it is safe, just use COMMON SENSE, and BECAREFUL "

Seems cast lead is a whole lot more demanding as far as accuracy is concerned.
If for example you were to take a 150 gr J bullet in an '06 and put say 52 grains of 4350 behind it you would probably get a pretty decent and accurate load in most guns. Do the same load with the average cast bullet and the pressure would probably be ok but the group on target might look more like a cylinder choked shotgun pattern.

Stevejet
02-02-2008, 02:29 AM
First...READ your reloading MANUAL. Lee and Lyman are experts on lead bullets and reload procedures. The answers are in there....believe me!

Of the thousands and thousands of bullets I've loaded and shot in handguns over 35 years, I have not loaded over 300 jacketed bullets. Jacketed bullets in handguns obviously have their appropriate applications, but my attempts to scare and intimidate paper targets, tin cans and jack rabbits certainly don't require them. Besides, a cast lead of the right size (weight), shape and velocity is, in my and many experienced shooters opinions, probably more effective than many jacketed bullets. I'll invite arguements with that statement, but lead is easier on the bore also.

Spend and invest some quality time reading and understanding your Lee and Lyman Manuals, plus others. It will pay valuable dividends down the line. Good luck!

azcoyhunter
02-02-2008, 10:19 AM
First...READ your reloading MANUAL. Lee and Lyman are experts on lead bullets and reload procedures. The answers are in there....believe me!

Of the thousands and thousands of bullets I've loaded and shot in handguns over 35 years, I have not loaded over 300 jacketed bullets. Jacketed bullets in handguns obviously have their appropriate applications, but my attempts to scare and intimidate paper targets, tin cans and jack rabbits certainly don't require them. Besides, a cast lead of the right size (weight), shape and velocity is, in my and many experienced shooters opinions, probably more effective than many jacketed bullets. I'll invite arguements with that statement, but lead is easier on the bore also.

Spend and invest some quality time reading and understanding your Lee and Lyman Manuals, plus others. It will pay valuable dividends down the line. Good luck!

That is probaly the best advise I have ever received here,

Thanks

Clint

454PB
02-02-2008, 03:23 PM
Substituting cast for jacketed data can get you in trouble if seating depth changes, but as far as friction is concerned, it's not a problem.

MtGun44
02-04-2008, 03:24 AM
I second the seating depth issue. Look at how far into the case the
bullet will be pushed when seated normally. If you decrease the powder space
you will *significantly* increase the pressure.

If the powder combustion chamber is the same size, the lead boolit will give lower
pressures and higher velocities than jacketed due to lower coefficient of friction
between tin-lead alloys and steel than copper alloys and steel. Note that
internal combustion engine bearings are coated with a tin-lead alloy layer
to minimize friction during startup and shutdown when the oil pressure is zero.

Bill

runfiverun
02-05-2008, 01:36 AM
untill you get so much leading in your 06 that the bore is 25 cal
then well yaknow.
work up slowly and look at things
leading is not just a thing to clean it is an indicator of what your load is doing