PDA

View Full Version : 1st on a bad wreck today...weird experience.

SeabeeMan
08-28-2014, 08:32 PM
My wife and I were coming back down the big hill from the mall in Duluth, MN today and get passed by a Harley doing about 15 over, blipping the throttle every time he went by a car. No helmet. 30 seconds later we come around the next curve and the bike is sliding and he's still rolling down the center lane, we're about 4 cars back. Nobody was getting out of their vehicles so I pulled off, hit the flashers, told the wife to call 911, and ran to him.

I was the first and only one on him for about a minute. I'm not a first responder but am an Eagle Scout and received large amounts of medical training in the military, including Combat Lifesaver. Initial survey showed a nearly amputated right foot with compound fractures, worst of which was the distal end of the fibula completely broken off and still attached to the foot. Arterial bleeding from the leg, road rash, bleeding from the head, and trying to get up. I got him to stay down finally and he was on his left side. Bystanders got me a belt and a lug wrench to place a tourniquet just above the knee, which slowed the bleeding. He kept trying to push me away every time I tightened it and a second person, who was a first responder finally ran up. He stabilized the neck and helped restain him. Tourniquet had to be tightened once down the road as the bleeding picked up.

Here's where things get fun: Police are on the scene at 5 minutes but do not approach, they just start directing traffic. Didn't even offer us the first aid kit in the trunk. Ambulances on scene at 10 minutes and they just push us away. Didn't ask how long the tourniquet has been on, what I had done, his condition, anything. Just physically pulled my hands off, pulled off my tourniquet, eventually put their own on, and went about their business. I mentioned we both had the victims blood on us and they said tell the cops. State Patrol took my name and phone number, asked me if I played any role in the accident (4-5 cars back, remember) and told me to leave. I mentioned the blood and he gave me a bottle of hand sanitizer and some crumpled up paper towel which already appeared to have dried blood or used motor oil on it.

We leave and promptly call my local clinic to see what I needed to do to be sure I was safe. I eventually get in with a PA and his first (very sarcastic) question is "what made you think you needed to jump in. Are you a first responder?" I told him my very limited qualifications and he proceeded to tell me that we could do a blood panel. I asked if their was anything to do as far as testing the victim and he told me that I was on my own and good luck. I started calling around to Duluth PD and MN State Patrol, both of which told me that they couldn't tell me anything but that he would have gone to one of two hospitals. I called both hospitals and they told me that there was nothing they could do without a name.

I know I did right and I know I'm not liable for anything due to Good Samaritan laws. I want to know if I need to worry about HIV or HEP-alphabet soup. Every person I interacted with made it seem like I should have just kept my nose out of somebody else's business and like a violated some social norm or taboo. It's tough to not walk away from this with a "no good deed goes unpunished" attitude, but the victim is alive and might keep his foot, so that is a positive. Hopefully the blood tests will all be negative tomorrow and in 6 weeks.

RED333
08-28-2014, 08:36 PM
Ya did good, real good in my book.
If we can not help each other, what the hell good are we?

TXGunNut
08-28-2014, 08:42 PM
Good job, a situation like that sure changes your perspective on things. Been there, done that, will do it again. Hope you will too.

blademasterii
08-28-2014, 08:47 PM
As far as I know contaminated blood needs an entry point. So as long as you have no cuts, abrasions on your hands and didn't touch your eyes or lips even if it was contaminated you should be ok.

SeabeeMan
08-28-2014, 08:47 PM
I will, and while I'll carry gloves from now on, they wouldn't have helped. He was fighting me and I ended up with blood up and down both forearms.

silverado
08-28-2014, 08:50 PM
what blademasterii said... I had to take some bloodborn pathogen training when working at a firefighting/damage control trainer... need an entry point. Hopefully you didn't have any open wounds on your hands or swallow any.

dragonrider
08-28-2014, 08:51 PM
You did right Rich,

rking22
08-28-2014, 08:52 PM
You did right, you know you did right.. we all have to live with ourselves. Can't imagine standing around while someone bled out, good grief! I ride a bike too and would certainly hope for someone like you around if something goes wrong. There is obvoiusly something terriably wrong with our world already based on the reactions you got! Thank you from my little part of mankind, and I pray the tests are all clear.

buckwheatpaul
08-28-2014, 08:55 PM
All of my training taught me that the only HIV issue is if the victim is HIV and his blood or body fluid gets splashed into your mouth, eyes, up your nose or in a cut.....you did the right thing.....this new generation is a bunch of do nothing kids...I would like to know that if I was in trouble that someone would try to help......Thank You for what you did.......

osteodoc08
08-28-2014, 08:55 PM
You did the right thing. PM sent.

BruceB
08-28-2014, 08:56 PM
You did the right thing.

It's unfortunate that the training done in industry, the military, Boy Scouts etc., is so casually dismissed or disregarded by these arrogant "official" responders. I respect the work they do, but they in turn have to realize that many members of the Great Unwashed are ALSO qualified to render emergency help when it's needed.

However....

Your worries about the possibilities of dangerous blood contamination are also the reason that, if I should ever have the misfortune of having to shoot someone, I will NOT be doing any first aid after the gunfire stops..

Anyone in the criminal community could well be HIV positive or worse, and I will not be in physical contact with any such individual.

SeabeeMan
08-28-2014, 08:58 PM
Thanks guys. I had some old scrapes on my arm (when don't I) but they were scabbed over, if that makes a difference. I'm a science teacher (Human A&P among other things) so I have a decent understanding of the transmission and odds, but it's tough to not get a bit freaked out. My wife is a bit more concerned, so that doesn't help. I'll try my luck again tomorrow at getting a name or information that might lead to being able to ask him to consent to a blood test. I'm sure he's going to be in the hospital for a while so hopefully that will streamline things if I can get a name. I'm hoping it will show up on the police blotter or local news.

gunshot98
08-28-2014, 09:02 PM
Man, I would like to applaud your efforts. I'm a rescue firefighter and do it for a living. Am not an EMT so i can't tell you about the blood. I agree with Blademasterii on the entry point. I try, if at all possible to thank anyone that helps us out but sometimes can't get to them before they leave. You are a hero in my book. If it was 10 mins before the EMT's got there, he probably would have bled out in that amount of time. Remember this, God saw what you did and smiled. Hope i can meet you sometime and shake your hand.

gunshot98
08-28-2014, 09:07 PM
Oh yeah, and thank you for your service, and thanks for Protecting my FREEDOM!

monadnock#5
08-28-2014, 09:09 PM
You faced the Kobayashi Maru Scenario with grit, determination and great courage. You're a team player. I'm sure that I speak for all of us when I say that we pray for your continued good health.

Menner
08-28-2014, 09:22 PM
Rich there are those that freeze or think of only themselves you showed the measure of yourself I was a LEO and I would have thanked you for your help.
Job Well Done
Tony

bnelson06
08-28-2014, 10:01 PM
Good job Rich! That isn't a hill anyone should be speeding down!

mrvmax
08-28-2014, 10:37 PM
Good job, I think you did well. We need people like you around.

TXGunNut
08-28-2014, 10:55 PM
I will, and while I'll carry gloves from now on, they wouldn't have helped. He was fighting me and I ended up with blood up and down both forearms.

Gloves do help, most little cuts are on our hands so they cover where it does the most good. They also help a bit on keeping wounds cleaner. Remember to change them out every few months if you keep them in a hot car.

Mumblypeg
08-28-2014, 11:17 PM
You did good as everyone here has said. You did what the others should have done also. I have done many things that I thanked myself for as no one else did. That's their problem not mine. I'm retired LEO so I have seen about all of that stuff and have had a few die in my arms. You do all you can do and don't worry about the bystanders that just gawk. I wouldn't worry too much about the blood, I've been covered in it on several occasions and try to clean up as soon a possible. I always carry a first aid kit, mostly for me but have pulled it out for many other people. I'm no EMT but know when someone is bleeding bad you got to slow or stop it or they won't last too long. The "What if they have something?" is always in the back of your mind and you try not to "Swap spit" with them but we all are going to do what we gota do when the time comes. It is our nature to help if it is in us and those that don't have it won't even help their own mother. 10% bleach and water will kill anything.... I also keep hydrogen peroxide on hand and a roll of (clean) paper towels . It's sad that the LEOs and first responders treated you that way.... I sure wouldn't have. There were many times I needed all the help I could get! Feel good about yourself and sleep good.

Superfly
08-28-2014, 11:25 PM
Most of the cops in and around Duluth Mn area are real Lets just say *****. They do like to Play Jbt and well are not real well liked. Former Duluth resident Here,

It was good that you were able to help and YOU did The right thing You know it. As for the blood just call the hospitals there in Duluth and ask for info or just take a drive and explain the deal with the desk andask to meet with the person you will be surprised I bet the help.

MaryB
08-29-2014, 12:15 AM
Accident report should hit the local paper in a day or two so watch for the name there.

dakotashooter2
08-29-2014, 09:55 AM
Despite being trained in first aid I'm guessing the police were not comfortable with administering it. In our limited training we were taught you do what you can until someone with more knowledge/experience/skill shows up and can take over and to pass along whatever information you can. At a minimum they should have asked if you needed additional assistance. Insuring safety at the site is important but it does not take a police officer to do that and they could assign a bystander to that task or have asked you to do it and taken your spot. Sounds like the first responders fell down on the job too. The one incident I was involved with they started asking questions before they took over. It's to their advantage to gather as much info as they can. They also should have offered assistance to you. Since you were covered with blood you are potentially a victim (because of the pathogens). I would contact their supervisor.

schutzen
08-29-2014, 10:44 AM
1st, You did the right thing! In a situation like that, you help until better help arrives. Even if the better help are a**es about.

2nd, Your on the right path, always carry a first aid kit and nitrile gloves in your vehicle. In addition to that, I carry a set of regular household rubber gloves like your wife cleans in. Vehicle wrecks are in rough locations with broken glass and twisted metal. The extra protection is worth the small cost.

3rd, Add a small bottle of anti-septic cleanser to your first aid kit. If you are contaminated with blood, use it to scrub up as soon as possible.

nicholst55
08-29-2014, 02:59 PM
I can see both sides of the story. First off, the OP definitely did the right thing. If the victim had arterial bleeding, he would have bled out before the paramedics got there. I can see where the paramedics were anxious to begin treating the victim, but they definitely should have at least acknowledged the OP's efforts and gathered what information they could. What if the OP were a trauma surgeon carrying a trauma kit with him and had administered meds to the victim? I would think that would be rather critical information.

I agree with dakotashooter2 that the LEOs on the scene could have at least assisted the OP with administering first aid. I can maybe see a lone LEO more concerned with traffic safety on a busy Interstate highway than treating the victim, but when is the last time you saw only one LEO respond to any incident?

I think I would be contacting some supervisors - to get clarification of their policies in such a situation, if nothing else.

Nitrile gloves and antiseptic are an excellent suggestion. I carry several pairs with my 1st Aid kit, and I think I'll add a large bottle of antiseptic. The household rubber gloves is also a good idea, although they tend to be a bit too bulky for any kind of delicate work.

SeabeeMan
08-29-2014, 03:06 PM
I appreciate the feedback and support. We finally got a blood test from the victim and he is clean, so I feel much better now. I will be putting first aid kits in both vehicles and digging out my combat tourniquets from the desert for each one.

I have some friends and family who are LEOs so I'm going to talk to them before barking up any trees with the Duluth pd. I wouldn't have expected them to take over, that's not their job, but the first aid kit in the trunk could have helped. Had it been available, I would have applied quik-clot.

cbrick
08-29-2014, 03:20 PM
Should I ever be in need such as the biker was I can only pray that the first on the scene is someone of your superior character.

Rick

buckwheatpaul
08-29-2014, 03:59 PM
Rich, I just read your post to my wife, who just happens to be a retired nurse/police officer, and she was stationed at a major metropolitan county hospital. She has dealt with exactly what you are talking about....she said that a little of alcohol rubbed on the areas with blood splatter or body fluid transfer will take care of your problem as long as you had no open bleeding cuts or splashes into the eyes, mouth, or nose....Your post has prompted us to get a 1st aid kit, w/gloves, and a fire extinguisher for each of our vehicles......Once again thank you for your quick response....it is good to know that you took the time to care and respond!

sthwestvictoria
08-29-2014, 04:21 PM
You faced the Kobayashi Maru Scenario with grit, determination and great courage. .
I had to look that up, not being a Star Trek fan. However that scenario is a no-win scenario, this chap did the right thing and won, the negative reactions of the other responders were the problem. Good work that man.

fivegunner
08-29-2014, 04:35 PM
You did a great job Rich! . It`s people like you that make a deference in this world.

Plate plinker
08-29-2014, 04:38 PM
Good work, those guys a just jerks. After all they are more important than you or I. :/

MBTcustom
08-29-2014, 04:56 PM
You did exactly the right thing. I am a first responder at my workplace and I am trained in first aid and CPR but I have never had to use those skills (thank God. I broke two of their CPR dummies last time I was certified. They call me El Cruncho)
The objective is to keep the person alive and then promptly GTH out of the way when the professionals arrive, at which point they will often undo everything you did and replace it with their own equipment. This usually works perfectly and functions like clockwork which it sounds like it did in your case. Unfortunately, we do not switch gears as quickly as the situation demands that we do and the feelings you are having of being unappreciated are very natural.
Keep the objectives in mind here.
There was no way you or the EMT's or the police or anyone was going to reattach the dude's foot, or make all the trauma go away. You're mission was to
KEEP THAT FELLER ALIVE AS LONG AS POSSIBLE Which you did very very well.
The imminent threat was that persons survival, and you played a huge part in that and were johny on the spot right in the nick of time. Had it not been for you, he would likely have died on the side of the road there. Yes he fought you. We often fight the person who is trying to Save us. That doesn't change the fact that they need saved and for heavens sakeyou are the only one who can.
I would just like to say that you are a hero sir. You did what needed to be done because it was the right thing to do and you worried about the repercussions afterward (hence this thread).
You have exhibited truly heroic character.

PS I doubt you got any weird diseases from this, but get it checked anyways.

smokeywolf
08-29-2014, 05:19 PM
Had my EMT cert when I was younger. I keep med kits in the cars, which include combat tourniquets, IBDs, hemostatics (HemCon or Celox don't burn like QuikClot), bandages, cravat, SAM splint(s) and CPR/resuscitator mask. Don't forget to put "Burn Jel" or "Burn Jel Plus" in your glove compartment, center console or first aid kit. When air bags deploy they often rub the skin at a high rate of speed and force. Most people end up with friction burns from this. The "burn Jels" have the higher lidocaine content to anesthetize the burn.
Also keep big med pack in house and basic first aid and GSW kits in the range bags. Wife and kids have been taught basic and some advanced first aid.

What you did was the right thing but, Good Samaritan laws differ in each State and only protect you up to a point. Don't bet your house, your cowboy hat and house cat that some high priced, bottom feeding, legal shark can't take it all away.

Whatever first aid/responder supplies you keep in your kits/packs, be sure you know how to use them properly or you can inflict added pain and injury.

Again, good job Rich.

smokeywolf

sparky45
08-29-2014, 05:25 PM
What Tim said.
I was a Navy Hospital Corpsman and then upon leaving the Service became a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (gas passer for 35 years) and you responded appropriately and courageously. If you hadn't applied the tourniquet he would have assumed ground temperature and very rapidly. I.E. you saved his life, it's that simple. Congratulations you've reached HERO status, at least in my books you have and I bet in the one Big Book that really counts.

fatelk
08-29-2014, 07:46 PM
Should I ever be in need such as the biker was I can only pray that the first on the scene is someone of your superior character.

+1 to that. Not many people will risk their own safety to help a stranger. Good job!

TreeKiller
08-29-2014, 11:24 PM
Good work, those guys a just jerks. After all they are more important than you or I. :/
Until they are laying on the ground needing help!

leeggen
08-30-2014, 12:03 AM
Rich the name can help you alittle but the medical imformation is private and they will not tell you if he was or wasnot HIV ***. I know the feeling was the medical resp. in 2 factories I worked in. Yip suposed to use gloves but by the time you get them then open pkg. then wiggle into the gloves a person can bleed to death, I always carried a handkercef and that was my go to bleeding bandage. Usually I did not have time to get gloves.
You sir are a great asset to our world, thank you for not being selfish. justget the tests for HIV and have it check regulerly as to what the DR. thinks.
Also thanks for your service in and after duty.
CD

DIRT Farmer
08-30-2014, 12:42 AM
Retired police officer/EMTP. I made my living on the road a lot of days. But I worked in a rural area, and I had bystander responders on scene sometimes a long time before I arrived. Cops direct traffic, EMS and fire fighters handle the scene here. I wanted a report from the bystander but did not have much time on the gnarly ones. I generaly had a firefighter/first responder take care of the bystander/responder and clean them up and get contact info if they would give it. Several reasons besides it's the right thing to do. I found a cardic event from the responders stress level one time.
I found out if I took care of the helpers they took care of me.

knifemaker
08-30-2014, 03:34 AM
You did the right thing and probably saved that man's life. I am a retired sheriff's Sgt. and I agree the first officer on scene should have made fast contact with you to see if you needed anything to help the injured man. Then it is that cop's duty to direct and slow down traffic in order to protect all of you from getting wiped out by a vehicle that fails to slow down and plows into you. This happens a lot at traffic accident scenes on major roads.
As for first aid, you would be surprised just how little first aid supplies that most cops carry in their trunk. Since I worked a rural area, I made contact with our local fire dept. and rural medical center and was able to get far more supplies then normal so that I could take care of major bleeding problems as the time element was long for medical aid to get to the scene.

As for the suggestion that the cop should have assigned a civilian to do the traffic control is a big NO-NO with most departments. Too easy for that untrained person to make a mistake and get hit by a vehicle himself and then the department must assume all liability for that person's injuries and any injuries to anyone on scene if he made a mistake in directing traffic. It is called vicarious liability.

pmer
08-30-2014, 10:06 AM
If Rich was busy tending to the victom that LEO might have got closer than you think and thought you were doing good and then just hurried to keep the scene as safe as possible. There are some crazy hills in Duluth, remember the jump scene in tv the show, Streets Of San Fancisco..

SeabeeMan
08-30-2014, 10:33 AM
Pmer, I didn't think of that, good point. As I said, my doctor was able to go through his channels and get a test done, so we have some peace of mind now.

MtGun44
08-31-2014, 11:08 PM
You absolutely did the right thing, probably saved a life with that serious bleeding. Unless you had
an open wound, you should be OK, although for some extremely virulent diseases (rare)
blood splashed into an eye or mouth could transmit something.

Well done, sir. Hope someone like you is around if I ever need help, not everyone
will help out, I found, to my surprise.

I helped out at a single car wreck with a seriously burned victim. Shocked that about a dozen
folks that had gotten there before I had were just standing up on the overpass and staring,
doing nothing at all to help the victim. Just amazed the heck out of me. Those folks never
did come to help.

When the local FD arrived, and offered O2, the firewoman just handed me and the second
person that had finally arrived to help, the bag with the O2 kit, and let us do it, kinda like
she had no idea how to use it. I do SCUBA diving, so knew how to put the regulator on,
turn on the valve and then get the mask on the victim. Fortunately, a life flight helo arrived
and took the victim to the hospital.

I'm amazed at how poorly many people can respond in a bad situation. Doesn't take a rocket
scientist to help someone.

Bill

TXGunNut
08-31-2014, 11:24 PM
In defense of the not-so-helpful bystanders and even a few cops, some folks are not ready to deal with badly injured people. My brother would give you the shirt off his back but blood or needles make him very queasy. Dunno how he dresses game, but I digress. First cop on the scene assessed your skill level correctly and did the right thing, he protected the scene. First priority is to stabilize injured victim(s) and you were doing that. Second priority is to protect the scene to protect you and the injured person. I don't know what his kit contained but I don't have high hopes in most cases. Yes, the EMT's should have taken your report but replacing your makeshift tourniquet was also SOP.
And yes, this biker is alive because of you. I suspect you're in the prayers of his family and loved ones.

HangFireW8
09-01-2014, 10:05 AM
Some first responders appreciate useful people, some feel their job security is threatened.

I worked with an eagle scout that said the first thing out if the first aid box was always the gloves. I keep a pair of HD nitrile mechanics gloves in each car tool box. Good enough to protect me and better than bare hands for them.

oldred
09-01-2014, 11:43 AM
Maybe a bit off the exact topic here but this thread reminded me of an incident a couple of years ago concerning first responders and cops. My wife and I were watching TV one night about 11:30 when I heard a crash in the distance that sounded like maybe an accident had happened. Turns out a car had left the road and crossed a muddy area then crashed into a berm at the edge of a creek where it had caught fire, the noise we had heard was apparently the gas tank exploding. The driver, an older fellow in his seventies, had managed to crawl away from the car before the fire started and he was quite apparently incoherent. When the cops/ambulance arrived they treated this poor guy like dirt! Remarks liking F------ drunk B------, etc and the fact they seemed totally unconcerned with his well-being made it obvious they had already tried and convicted him of DUI and felt his predicament was good enough for him. I am not exaggerating, they did almost nothing in the way of examining him and just literally tossed him onto the gurney while the cops kept trying to ask him how much he had to drink! Turns out the guy was a well respected jewelery store owner who was returning home from checking up on his store, he had not been drinking and it turns out that he had suffered a stroke from which he never fully recovered. He was left paralyzed and died in a nursing home a little over a year later, whether his condition was made worse by his disrespectful treatment is something we will never know but I still get angry every time I think about what happened that night.

Owen49
09-01-2014, 04:39 PM
Thank you for doing what you did. I pray you continue in good health. Sorry about the disrespect you suffered at the actions of the "professionals".

bullet maker 57
09-01-2014, 11:00 PM
I have done as you did and will do it again if needed. As someone said above "we have to help each other" I was an EMT back in the late 70s. Just about the time aids first appeared. Scary back then. I understand your concern. Stay well.

Blanco
09-01-2014, 11:58 PM
Your story is strikingly familiar.
I had a slightly different situation in that there were 6 cars involved in the accident and one motorcyclist. I was one of the 6 but the last car to be hit.
Even though I got hit pretty hard. I saw the motorcyclist get hit and I knew it was going to be bad. The second I could stop I was out and had my belt on his leg. He had multiple compound fractures of his left leg and was ln immense pain and pumping like a gusher.
I never second guessed it I knew he needed help now.
I would guess about 4 minutes went by. Like your situation. The cops assessed the situation and started directing traffic.
An EMT showed up at about 5 minutes and the first guy there handed me gloves. I told them what I was doing and they did a quick check on him and loaded him up. The fellow on the bike was rather huge, I would guess about 6'5" and the young EMT kept wanting to probe the wound on his leg. The Biker told the kid he was a preacher and if he stuck a finger in there again he was going to lose his religion and become violent.
Little did I know that I myself had back injuries that are with me to this day. I was running on adrenaline at the time and didn't notice til the next day. I found out when I almost could not walk the next morning.

FredBuddy
09-02-2014, 02:10 PM
Bless you !

FISH4BUGS
09-02-2014, 02:32 PM
Ditto for me. I was the first on a head on at about 60 mph. It happened in front of me by about 50 yds or so. I didn't have to do any first aid. Both victims were splattered all over the interior.
I couldn't raise a cell signal, so the next person on the accident stayed while I drove down the highway to a country store. A couple of the EMT's happened to be having breakfast and flew out of there in a heartbeat. I returned to the scene to do my citizen duty as the only witness.
Being the only eyewitness, the police asked me to stay and describe the event, which I did probably 6 times to 6 different people, including the accident reconstruction people. Apparently the one driver fell asleep at the wheel and drove head on into the other car at about 60 mph. Perefect dead on shot. Both cars went up about 3 feet, did a quarter turn and came down.
Everyone was very professional. It was also a very small town in New Hampshire (Stoddard) and I am sure the people knew at least one of the victims; a woman that had just left her house to go to the grocery store.
Sorry for your experience.......not only traumatic for you, but your experience with the EMT's.

C. Latch
09-02-2014, 03:00 PM
1) You did good
2) The people who responded in an official capacity did what they were trained to do, and that's a good thing, in some ways; they don't know you and have no clue as to how or how well you are trained
3) Even if they did know you or even if the quality of your work had been self-evident, we live in a society where we're expected to perform a certain role in society and be 'professional' about it, and professionals hate self-reliant people who can multitask. You can thank public schools and your government for this sad situation.

The take home point, here, is that 1) You did good. Very good.

rking22
09-02-2014, 03:56 PM
looking thru this thread ,it seems times have changed for the worse. Surprise there ,right ! I was in college and driving a 2 lane an hour each way. One evening the car in front of me, about 1/2 mile, just ran off the road on a straight section and flipped several times. I was first there and the elderly driver was badly pinned and had no pulse. As I stood there debating what to do ,every car that passed stopped! Several came down to see if they could help including a nurse. As she checked the driver we hear a baby cry. The child was under the front seat, and also pinned. Without the help of those other folks I would have never been able to get her out. While this was going on someone had gone up the road and called the police,several were directing traffic, and another had disconnected the battery and brought fire extenishers. All without comment or request. When the ambulance arrived the nurse went with the baby and most all left . I stayed as a witness for the police. later found that the driver had a heart attack and died before leaving the road. Point is in, 1979 EVERY passerby offered what they could without a thought. The child was her grandaughter.

Four-Sixty
09-02-2014, 05:51 PM
I dated a paramedic once. They are JADED. There is a lot of emotional toll involved. Indifference helps them keep some shred of sanity.

arclight
09-02-2014, 06:05 PM
Rich,

I've been there too. I'm a current EMT in my state, although I do search and rescue rather than working on a rig. The only thing it buys me when we're not in uniform and come up on a wreck is _slightly_ more gentle treatment from the PD and EMS. I agree that those folks can be a little grumpy. Try not to let this experience get you down - you did exactly the right thing and no doubt contributed to him having a better outcome. Like most times when you do the right thing, it's pretty thankless, but you know what you did and should be proud.

In your case, I think the first cops on the scene actually did the right thing - they were directing traffic and making sure you and the victim didn't get run over (it happens!)

Anyway, blood on your hands is no big deal as long as your skin doesn't have any open wounds on it. You should also watch your eyes if there is a lot of blood slinging around. If you think you got cut or stuck with something sharp and blood entered your body, you should get the standard tests the local urgent care recommended.

Otherwise, just wash your hands and forearms with plenty of soap and hot water.

Wash contaminated clothes with bleach or throw them away. And for anything else that got contaminated, like your door handles, steering wheel or shoes, wipe it down with a rag soaked in a mild bleach and soap solution.

Here is an SOP I just pulled down from a fire department. It's pretty similar:

http://rogersar.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/1193

If you're thinking about putting together a first aid kit for yourself, I made up a free guide if anyone wants to download it. Check out:

http://www.23.org/~arclight/firstaid/firstaid_booklet.pdf

Arclight
Arclight

MaryB
09-02-2014, 09:51 PM
I was an EMT for 5 years after high school. After cleaning up the remains of a friend who hit a curb in a parking lot on his Honda then went over the bars and landed face first I quit. No helmet so it was bad. The stress and not knowing if the next victim is family or a friend did me in.

SeabeeMan
09-02-2014, 10:27 PM
Again, thanks to everyone for the support and guidance. With a few days gone by now and some negative blood tests from the victim, the adrenaline and frustration have worn off. I definitely see how all others on scene filled their roles even if it wasn't to my liking at the moment. I completely understand getting jaded when you've seen to much. It's how I was/am after coming back from the desert.

waksupi
09-03-2014, 12:02 AM
I was an EMT for 5 years after high school. After cleaning up the remains of a friend who hit a curb in a parking lot on his Honda then went over the bars and landed face first I quit. No helmet so it was bad. The stress and not knowing if the next victim is family or a friend did me in.

Things can affect people in different ways. My younger brother, who is a member here, responded to the call when my dad died. Rather than quitting after that, he went beyond EMT, and got a nursing degree. He felt that he may have been able to do more, if he would have had more knowledge. He now works full time at Iowa City in the emergency room. Being a small rural area where he lives, he knew pretty much everyone he ever responded to at an accident scene.

lefty o
09-03-2014, 12:42 AM
you did good. not being there i wont blast the cop, but have been left feeling the same way. few years ago i pulled a oyung lady out of a fairly bad roll over in a pretty steep ditch just after a bridge. thankfully she had a seatbelt on and wasnt hurt badly, i ended up bleeding worse than she did from crawling through the broken glass. now a cop showed up reasonably quickly after my friend called 911, and he was there a 4-5min before EMS. we were a good 100+ft down in the ditch away from the road, and that cop never left pavement. the one and only thing he was concerned with was who had been drinking! that left a bad taste in my mouth for that cop, take care of business first, then worry about generating revenue with tickets later.

arclight
09-03-2014, 01:34 AM
you did good. not being there i wont blast the cop, but have been left feeling the same way. few years ago i pulled a oyung lady out of a fairly bad roll over in a pretty steep ditch just after a bridge. thankfully she had a seatbelt on and wasnt hurt badly, i ended up bleeding worse than she did from crawling through the broken glass. now a cop showed up reasonably quickly after my friend called 911, and he was there a 4-5min before EMS. we were a good 100+ft down in the ditch away from the road, and that cop never left pavement. the one and only thing he was concerned with was who had been drinking! that left a bad taste in my mouth for that cop, take care of business first, then worry about generating revenue with tickets later.

I've also seen a CHP (California Highway Patrol) officer hike over a mile in his dress shoes to see if an over-the-side car suicide had anyone left alive. I think a lot depends on the training and attitude fostered by the agency. CHPs get EMT or first-responder training and seem to have a "help people as best you can" theme from the top. Other agencies have a more combat-like attitude, i.e. the first aid kit is there in case the officer gets shot and not for general use.

Arclight

varmintpopper
09-03-2014, 02:42 AM
You may also get Yourself prepared to answer his lawyers questions about how You aggravated the wounds and caused more damage. I know the Guy would have possible died but that is all behind Him now, He may come looking for His Bread and butter for the remainder of his life. I applaud You Sir for helping this Fellow, But be careful.

Good Shooting

Lindy

arclight
09-03-2014, 02:15 PM
You may also get Yourself prepared to answer his lawyers questions about how You aggravated the wounds and caused more damage. I know the Guy would have possible died but that is all behind Him now, He may come looking for His Bread and butter for the remainder of his life. I applaud You Sir for helping this Fellow, But be careful.

Good Shooting

Lindy

If your state has a good samaritan law, that's fortunately a non-issue.

Arclight

SeabeeMan
09-03-2014, 06:16 PM
MN does, so I'm not worried about that. Even if it was pushed, I was outside of my job as a high school science teacher and acted well within the bounds and guidelines of my past training if they could even call the into question.

I thought every state had a Good Samaritan law at this point.