PDA

View Full Version : Yellow crude

okcafe86
08-28-2014, 05:33 PM
I'm new to casting. I made my first set of boolits yesterday and I thought they turned out great. I pan lubed and sized now ready to load up. Anyway, today I made some more out of the left over lead. It was all ww lead. I melted it in my pot and skimmed the usual crude off the top that I scrapped off the sides and didn't bother to flux again as I had already done it a few times yesterday with the same lead. It was nice and shiny. So after 30-45 minutes of ladle casting I notice a thick layer of this yellow crude on the top of the lead and the sides of the pot and all over my ladle. So I try my best to tap it off the ladle, scrap the crude off the sides and flux. I remove all the crude the flux got. Nice and shiny again. I'm using the frankford arsenal flux btw. This crude keeps coming back every 15 minutes or so. Is this oxidation? Is this normal? Am I scraping tin out of my melt?

62chevy
08-28-2014, 05:44 PM
Yes it is normal and the color may be due to your alloy being to hot. I would recommend you use a thermometer to keep track of your melt temp. Use sawdust to flux and leave it on top of the melt, when you dip your ladle move the ash out of the way before dipping. I do that and keep my melt temp at about 700 to 750 and get great boolits.

cdngunner
08-28-2014, 09:25 PM
a lot of people will leave the sawdust in the pot. it acts as a thermal barrier while it slows down oxidation