PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up a Turk action

Mike in TX
08-28-2014, 05:46 AM
I have a Turk mauser action that has machining marks. I have tried a file, tumbling and dremel tool. None worked to my satisfaction. I need ideas and things that have worked for you.

Thanks

RustyReel
08-28-2014, 06:46 AM
I have been working on a Turk action as well. When I saw your post I was hoping you had found the solution!

I bought my Turk because it had very little rust/pitting, I knew it had machine marks but figured they would come our fairly easily. Wrong about that one. Seem every time one gets polished out another one or two seem to pop up. Anyway, I have used files, dremel tool (grinding, sanding discs and polishing wheels), various grades of sandpaper, wire wheel etc. I've had some success as it looks much better than it did but sill lots of machine marks show up when I think I've done the "final" polish......good luck.

bruce drake
08-28-2014, 07:09 AM
Its a Turk military action. get a good barrel on it and then enjoy it for what it is, a great hunting rifle.

Uncle Grinch
08-28-2014, 08:52 AM
Take a gander at this article by gunsmith Mike McCabe, over on MauserCentral.

http://www.mausercentral.com/crestpitremoval.htm

Der Gebirgsjager
08-28-2014, 11:52 PM
Why??would someone want to remove a crest from a receiver?? I read the Mauser Central article (above) and it remains a mystery to me. A crest on a receiver adds to the mystic of a custom hunting rifle, and gives you something interesting to look at when you're sitting under that tree waiting for Bambi to wander by. Even the Turkish crest, which is more of an informational than a crest, is interesting. As for tool marks, I've seen very few that I couldn't remove using a muslin wheel and 140 grit polish (Brownell's Polish-O-Ray), and I have often wished that the really intricate crests like Brazilian and Peruvian were stamped in deeper. The old Mexican Mauser crests are very nice. Can't imagine removing one on purpose.

Uncle Grinch
08-29-2014, 09:50 AM
I agree the crest adds a sense of interest and nostagia. In the Mauser Central, I believe Mike is truing the receiver for accurate plscement of scope mounts.

Most gunsmiths appreciate the vintage weapons that have not been altered and I know Mike McCabe does not spotering any military rifle that is original.

W.R.Buchanan
08-30-2014, 08:01 PM
I blasted mine with Steel Grit in my bead blaster. It came out a decent blasted finish which hides a lot of the tool marks these guns normally have.

Any blasted finish is going to have a flat look to it and if you blue it afterwards it looks really good. My SBH is done that way and it looks real nice.

Another way to go is to use a painted finish after blasting. Cerakote is the best and I just did a CZ82 which you can check out in the pistol forum. The finish looks good and hides a lot of the tool marks and such. Would be perfectly appropriate for a hunting rifle that is going to see the weather.

If you think you're going to find some magic way to massage all the tool marks out of an action like this, you might as well get up really early in the morning and start sanding on it with WOD Sand paper. other than blasting there isn't any fast way to do this.

Randy